Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 30, 2017 04:40AM

Maybe it was posted and I missed it.


[www.carid.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: June 30, 2017 05:29AM

They are specific to the rear position on the 78-88 g body and 82-92 f body. I have seen them on other message boards.

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: June 30, 2017 05:47AM

These fined aluminum drums go as far back as the 1964 Buick mid size wagon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: June 30, 2017 06:07AM

john.jackson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These fined aluminum drums go as far back as the
> 1964 Buick mid size wagon.


They aren't the same. The Buick's were the larger ones that would fit the rear position of a late Corvair.
The one's that j.o. posted are the smaller ones that would fit the front position of a late Corvair.

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 30, 2017 09:10AM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> john.jackson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > These fined aluminum drums go as far back as
> the
> > 1964 Buick mid size wagon.
>
>
> They aren't the same. The Buick's were the larger
> ones that would fit the rear position of a late
> Corvair.
> The one's that j.o. posted are the smaller ones
> that would fit the front position of a late
> Corvair.

Correct - I tried to find a pair of the "larger" units 12 year ago - unobtainium even then. In the 70's and 80's they reported to be used by the Corvair folks for racing and it was claimed they were legal since they were a production item on the Buick midsized cars. Swept area was the same as the Corvair (Chevelle, etc.) drum.

When disc brakes arrived the aluminum finned drums went away. Only reproductions are all cast iron finned and weight a LOT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: June 30, 2017 09:57AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gnvair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > john.jackson Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > These fined aluminum drums go as far back as
> > the
> > > 1964 Buick mid size wagon.
> >
> >
> > They aren't the same. The Buick's were the
> larger
> > ones that would fit the rear position of a late
> > Corvair.
> > The one's that j.o. posted are the smaller ones
> > that would fit the front position of a late
> > Corvair.
>
> Correct - I tried to find a pair of the "larger"
> units 12 year ago - unobtainium even then. In the
> 70's and 80's they reported to be used by the
> Corvair folks for racing and it was claimed they
> were legal since they were a production item on
> the Buick midsized cars. Swept area was the same
> as the Corvair (Chevelle, etc.) drum.
>
> When disc brakes arrived the aluminum finned drums
> went away. Only reproductions are all cast iron
> finned and weight a LOT.


I know I was never able to find a set as early as 1970.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: RCSmith ()
Date: June 30, 2017 01:19PM

Pair of aluminum drums at 9:43 in this
junkyard walk through.
Right ones??

[youtu.be]

Ray C. Smith
'66 Corsa


Bergen County ,NJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 30, 2017 06:54PM

It was stated that cast iron drums weigh a lot but disc brakes weigh more.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 30, 2017 07:08PM

I paid 750 for my "rear" aluminum drums. Only pair I've ever had the chance to buy.

Mike
YS-117

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: June 30, 2017 08:30PM

Mike Stillwell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I paid 750 for my "rear" aluminum drums. Only pair
> I've ever had the chance to buy.
>
> Mike
> YS-117


Was there a car attached? tongue sticking out smiley

Lee J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: June 30, 2017 09:19PM

Yes, the aluminum drums on the Riviera are the 9.5 X 2.5" size to fit the LM rear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: June 30, 2017 09:25PM

vairsUPnorth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, the aluminum drums on the Riviera are the 9.5
> X 2.5" size to fit the LM rear.


What year Rivera with the 9.5 v 2.5 drums?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: July 01, 2017 03:53AM

gnvair wrote:
>
> Was there a car attached? tongue sticking out smiley


No, but you're right - I don't usually pay that much for my cars!

Mike
YS-117

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: ensys ()
Date: July 01, 2017 09:50PM

Has anyone tried fitting larger (say, 10 or 11 in.) drums and backing plates from full-sized GM cars that would fit a 15" wheel?

Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

From America's
Automobile Heartland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Date: July 02, 2017 03:53AM

The aluminum drums that J.O. mentioned are:
Cardone Select 2C-18001 $94.99
Rock Auto page for the Corvair:
Scroll down a bit to find the Cardone Aluminum drums
Click on the part number to see the list of other vehicles. (Mostly GM A body)


They also make Cardone Select 2C-18000 which fits the late 1970s to '80s G body rears - not sure exactly what is different...
Same price - $94.99


Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: July 02, 2017 12:07PM

There must be a Corvair person working at Cordone to link the rear of a GM A car to the front of a Corvair. Nice looking new drums but most Corvair people would opt for a swap meet or junk yard find because of the cost.

Now the 9.5 x 2.5 inch front drums from a Buick Sportwagon for use on the rear of a Corvair are a lot harder to find and when you do, you will find that the drums don't just slide off the lug bolts like the rear of the A car. The lug bolts need to be pressed out and that will probably cause a lip around the hole that needs to be removed. The big center hole though fits the Corvair.

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: July 02, 2017 12:11PM

I bought a set for the 64 Racer, they appear to be very nice quality, I will have to trim the fins slightly to fit in the stock widened 13 inch wheels. Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: July 06, 2017 01:59PM

So the 2C-18000 shown above do work on the rear of the Corvair? What is the weight savings, anybody know? ---edit -- My bad, it's the Hard to find Buick front drums that fit the rear. Still anyone know how much lighter?

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 02:09PM by Willt65.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: July 06, 2017 03:41PM

If someone has the weight of the aluminum drums, I can weigh a steel drum.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM aluminum drums; anyone notice this before
Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: July 07, 2017 10:44AM

Cardone makes the same aluminum drums for the rear of a '65 Chevelle that would work on a LM. Part #2C-18001 @ $98.53 from Carid. Rock Auto @ $94.99. Would certainly be a lot easier (and lighter?) to put a pair of these on for some weight loss and better cooling than a disc conversion. If I only had a running vehicle to try them on. eye rolling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.