home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
New Springs
Posted by: kaminski45 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 05:57PM

I am rebuilding the suspension on 64 spyder. I am putting Konis all the way around and was wondering what type of springs I should use stock or heavy duty? I am going to buy from Clarks and they don't offer a rear heavy duty spring. Is there another year heavy duty spring I should buy or run heavy duty in the front and stock in the rear or just run stock all the way around? I will probably cut coils once I get the car done so I can get the look that I want but for now I just need to get it on the road.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Springs
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 19, 2017 06:07PM

Buy Stock if you are going to cut.... they get stiffer as you shorten..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 20, 2017 09:39AM

Typically the rear springs collapse more with age vs. the front.

Also note the 64 rear suspension (with the cross leaf) was a one year only suspension and uses a different rear coil spring.

If you want the car level (originally the front was always a little high) then just try changing the rear springs first.

After that you can decide if you want to cut a coil and were.

Posted by: Gwrodzhi ()
Date: June 20, 2017 07:59PM

I redid the suspension in my 64 this past winter and replaced the back coil springs and kept the front springs original, the car sits level now. You may want to replace the bushing on the bolts for the leaf spring, mine were completely shot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.