home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT 1986 Sierra issues
Posted by: BrianTom ()
Date: June 18, 2017 02:57PM

My brother has a 86 Sierra pickup with a 305. It stopped working years ago because it would mysteriously stop. No rhyme or reason to it. Some days it was fine, others it would go dead at the first intersection. He recently had the carb rebuilt, new distributor, new fuel lines, new battery. On the first test drive, it went dead again. He tried to restart it and it wouldn't go over 20 and smoke starting coming out from under the hood, so he turned it off and parked it. I want there, so just giving his account. I have no experience with a 305... Any thoughts better than just poor it out of it's misery? I was thinking ignition or fuel pump and possibly the carb or fuel lines not being put on properly.

Thanks,

Brian

'63 Corvair 700
Huntsville, AL
[www.brianwindsor.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT 1986 Sierra issues
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 18, 2017 03:25PM

Most likely the Computer...typical for those years iirc!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 18, 2017 03:40PM

I have an 84, originally had a 305, same as all small blocks. It's hard to remember what it was from the factory. I think the distributor and carb have some computer control, mine were swapped with an older HEI not computer controlled, it does have a module that can do as you describe, I also had a coil fail the same way. I swapped out the carb and intake for a traditional 4 barrel so no computer anymore there either. My state really doesn't check anything so we can do what we like, if you can I'd either go old school like me or modernize with newer aftermarket stuff on the 305 or swap everything for a newer 5.3

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 18, 2017 04:54PM

If its the distributor with the module in the base give that a try, the cheap now. I'm thinking that year also has an electric fuel pump with a safety relay the acts up.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 18, 2017 05:22PM

If it has a computer under the hood, check the computer connectors for corrosion. Had it happen to my 99 and 2004 computer connectors. Truck stopped dead or wouldn't start.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 19, 2017 06:17AM

He tried to restart it and it wouldn't go over 20 and smoke starting coming out from under the hood, so he turned it off and parked it.

I would start with finding the source of the smoke signals.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 19, 2017 07:56AM

I agree. I may not have been related at all, but not checking the source of the smoke right then may have been a good opportunity lost. Based on the age of the truck and info given, I'd be testing the fuel pressure.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: June 19, 2017 10:29AM

I had an '81 Chevy Pickup with the 305 V8 that had the same issue. It was the ignition module inside the distributor.

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 19, 2017 01:55PM

A quick search online and it looks like fuel injection started in 87 on the GM trucks. If that's correct then wouldn't it still have the mechanical fuel pump mounted to the engine?

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 19, 2017 02:10PM

And has Electronic carb..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.