home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
tire for sale
Posted by: corvairjer ()
Date: June 18, 2017 01:56PM

I have a new Maxxis tire from Clark's on a late model rim asking $130.00

forsale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2017 02:09PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tire for sale
Posted by: curt ()
Date: June 21, 2017 05:33PM

Where areyou located? When was tire made?

Date: June 22, 2017 11:00AM

I am near Charlotte Nc. Made in Taiwan.

Date: June 22, 2017 11:05AM

9/13

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: June 22, 2017 01:14PM

While that certainly is not a bad price for a quality Maxxis tire already mounted and balanced on a stock 13 inch Corvair rim,
the manufacture date of the tire is closing in on 4 years old, no matter that the tire has no miles.

It still may be an excellent buy for the price, for those needing one tire and stock rim.
Current prevailing wisdom backed by much data from the "field" indicates that a typical NEW tire is beyond its "useful life" after 8 years beyond the manufacturing date, no matter if the tire has never seen the pavement.
I know this sounds like that crazy local Mattress Outlet guy that you might see on your TV during the local newscast, screaming at you that if your Mattress is six years or older , its time to replace it.....
There may be valid reasons for Mattress Replacement other than the obnoxious Mattress Outlet guy has four railroad box cars full of mattress coming to his warehouse in six days, and he's gotta move em out....

A Corvair (or late model with IRS, anyways) won't have the high probability of loss of control that say a PICKUP or SUV with a high center of gravity does IF one were to experience a BLOW-OUT at INTERSTATE speeds.
You don't want to even chance that.
MICHELIN said it perhaps best some years ago: "BECAUSE SO MUCH IS RIDING ON YOUR TIRES!"
Something as trivial as TIRE AGE is a huge factor in BLOWOUTS at speed, especially during the SUMMER months when outside high temperatures typically reach 95 to 100 in many places.........heck Phoenix has been 116 and 117 the past few days, and its been above 92 in the Deep South almost every day since early May. Asphalt temperature (road surface) is gonna be hot as hell. I worked construction on a road building crew during Summers of my Freshman and Soph. & Junior years in college 45+ years ago....nothing is a motivator to finish school like doing road construction work. Even during those times when it was believed at the time the earth was getting cooler by a fraction of a degree etc, as opposed to warming........you'd have 150 degree asphalt temperature in the full morning sunshine when it was still comfortable before the oppressive heat of 2pm came.
************It Is IMPORTANT to CHECK the mfg Date Code on EVERY TIRE of every NEW SET that you BUY. Reputable TIRE DEALERS and Stores will have no problem explaining the mfg code of each tire. They will do their very best to comply with getting you the FRESHEST date coded tires that they can.
ALWAYS REQUEST the FRESHEST dates that you can from the tire stock in that brand/size.
In most circumstances, you shouldn't accept a NEW tire that has a mfg date that is a YEAR or more beyond the date of manufacture.
There may be a close out sale or other price incentive that makes it economically worth doing it but do realize that there is a much more FINITE lifespan to Tire Rubber than you may realize. On certain vehicles, particularly SUVs and PICKUP trucks driven at Interstate speeds in the SUMMER heat.......old tires might mean a catastrophic BLOW OUT. -----How OLD is TOO OLD??? There is much DEBATE on that. I'm not a retired engineer from Michelin or Bridgestone so I don't have any valid information towards that exact number.
I would definitely hedge towards sooner rather than later than 8 1/2 years if its on a SUV with considerable ground clearance and it will see Interstate use.
Corvair owners know much about tire pressure, but the general public could have cared less about it, such that important Tire Pressure Monitoring systems have been standard on new vehicles for at least a decade. If you run with too little tire pressure in a vehicle like an suv or pickup at Interstate speed, you could be damaging/weakening the sidewalls if the pressure is too low. You thought tire pressure and condition of tires was critical on an early model Corvair, well that is nothing really compared to how the rubber meets the road for certain SUVs and PICKUPS at Interstate/expressway speeds.
-----TIRES are not something that should be overlooked.
For most vehicles, USED TIRES are a bad idea. Farm vehicles and vehicles that see speeds below 45 and 50 mph are maybe okay.
Much has been learned and is known that wasn't known during the era of the $12.95 ReTread tire. If you're gonna drive something that has a potential chance of loss of control or rollover upon a TIRE BLOWOUT, like a SUV or PICKUP driven at Interstate/Expressway speeds (65 to 90mph), you want good and FRESH enough tire rubber meeting the road. Because So much is riding on them.
Check date codes on every NEW or USED tire you might be considering.
Used tires are rarely a bargain, it depends on the application/type of use, ---otherwise always GO for NEW and fresh dot code indicating less than 1 yr since manufacture if at all possible.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: June 22, 2017 01:50PM

Tires do get old, however, my tries don't see the daylight for more the 3,000 miles a year. How much difference does this make in tire life.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 22, 2017 03:15PM

Keeping a tire cool and in the dark, will keep it from aging prematurely, but it won't stop normal aging. If a tire sits, that is worse than driving. They need to flex and be warmed up. An RV friend of mine noticed some wear in one of his fifth tires. he had a spare that was still wrapped in original paper, same DOT date code as the tires on the RV. He changed the one with wear with the new one. The new one blew out half way to Florida.

I had a blowout in my motorhome two years ago, brand name RV tire, looked like new, less than 5 years old, always properly inflated and covered when not in use. NOT FUN.

That being said my Vair tires are getting up there, but they are 205 70R 13. You can still get them, but its over a grand. I only drive it locally and seldom get on an interstate. So if your driving mostly under 50 and short trips the risk goes down.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: June 22, 2017 05:45PM

Really I just want to sell a tire that still has a 4 year life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2017 05:52PM by MattNall.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 22, 2017 06:22PM

I was talking to our VP at work, he was formerly an executive at Michelin. We started talking about tire aging, he tells me it's ozone attacking the synthetic rubber, the natural rubber holds up better but costs more so tire makers use a blend and of course better tires get more natural rubber in the blend. So if it's ozone that is killing the tires it's possible that storing in a closed bag may extend their life. Possible?

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 22, 2017 06:49PM

Its also oxygen working its way into the steel cords, some say a nitrogen fill helps. Don't know, mixed reviews.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: June 22, 2017 06:53PM

I'm going to cryogenically store mine along side Walt Disney and Michael Jackson...drinking smiley

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.