home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
2 Questions regarding my Corvair
Posted by: 4wd430 ()
Date: June 18, 2017 01:52AM

Good morning everyone,

I have two questions regarding my '60 Vair:

1) Can someone please indicate the full mark on my transmission dipstick? I have difficulty finding it from the key given on the dipstick.

2) On the 60's, there is a rubber vacuum line that goes from the air cleaner into the right side exhaust manifold for the choke. On my '60, the rubber line has come off and is in need of replacement. I can't seem to find a way to access the attachment point on the right exhaust manifold without removing it. Any tips on how to get at it? There seems to be tin blocking any access points which I can't figure out how to remove.

Thanks!

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 Questions regarding my Corvair
Posted by: 4wd430 ()
Date: June 18, 2017 01:53AM

Picture of entire dipstick

Attachments:
Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: June 18, 2017 05:59AM

The tube going into the exhaust is not rubber. It is a piece of steel pipe. It presses into the end of the manifold and works its way out thru the hole in the shrouds and then inside the engine compartment the hose from your air cleaner will attach to that.

If it is loose at the manifold it has most likely rusted off. I had to drill the end of the manifold out and add a smaller piece of steel pipe to press into the one on your car now.

But to remove it. In your pic you see the pipe coming out of the manifold following along the side of the sheet metal shroud. See the small clamp, loosen the bolt holding the clamp on and the pipe should pull loose. If it is rusted off at the end of the manifold. If the pipe is tight in the end of the manifold, then all you need to do is go in the engine compartment and find the end and reattach or replace the section of hose from the air cleaner to the pipe in the shrouds. What ever you do don't brake that pipe if it isn't already. Just see if it moves some with your finger. It looks intact in your picture and if it is just find the end and hook up the hose to it.

On the dipstick. The lower o at the end is add a pint. The other o is where you add fluid to when the transmission is hot, or at operating temp.

Hope this helps.

But if like mine that steel tube is rusted off as it enters the end of the manifold, and you will have to repair it.

Good luck

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: curt ()
Date: June 18, 2017 06:57AM

Corret me, I thought the space between the two 0's is safe if the reading is a cold reading.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 18, 2017 07:02AM

Always check PG level when fluid is hot and in Drive (Park Brake on). Only true level measurement is what my dad instructed me back in the 60s.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: June 18, 2017 07:31AM

The Chevrolet Corvair "Owner's Guide" says to check in NEUTRAL - with park brake on. Safe opperating range is between the FULL O and ADD 1 PT O

Level ground, of course...

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 18, 2017 08:20AM

It looks like you don't really need to remove anything, you just need to push up on the pipe so it's above the shroud a little. I can see where it's pushed down in the clip and clean pipe has been exposed. Maybe just pushing with your fingers or a screwdriver/stick would be enough.

I've included a shot from my '60 showing the pipe sticking out with the rubber hose attached.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.