home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Em (64) engine lid weatherstrip problem. Anyone know the answer?
Posted by: radicalbuff ()
Date: June 17, 2017 08:10PM

The weatherstripping that came from clarks has white plastic push things in it and retainers for little holes. I cannot find any holes for the retainers to go into. Is this normal? 64 Monza convertible.

Thanks,
Radicalbuffconfused smiley

"Bucket List Project Manager!"
Deb ... Riverton, Utah

My 64 Corvair Blog [radicalbuff.wordpress.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Em (64) engine lid weatherstrip problem. Anyone know the answer?
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 17, 2017 08:16PM

The typical EM weatherstrip was a short strip across the front of the gutter between the hinges. That pieces was barely glued to the rain gutter.

Also many had a piece across the rear of the lid and attached to the lid instead of the gutter. The weatherstrip wrapped around the corners of the lid for several inches. If yours uses that piece you will find small plastic/nylon bushings installed in the lid. When eng lid is open you are looking at the top of the lid which is the rear of the lid when closed.

Hope this helps.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: June 17, 2017 08:28PM

So some don't have holes for the plastic plugs? Maybe the lid is from another year not 64? Would that make any difference? I still don't see any holes on the body or the lid. I just checked again. Do you think I can use some generic or some other striping LM perhaps? I do remember when I pulled the old stuff off there were a couple little metal clips that had some of the striping on them. I naturally imagine the whole deck should be weatherstripped.

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 17, 2017 09:00PM

Does your lid have individual letters spelling the word CORVAIR? If so you have 64 lid.

Do you belong to Bonneville Corvair Club? There may be some local help for you there too.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2017 09:03PM by steve c goodman.

Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: June 17, 2017 11:01PM

Sounds to me like you received a door weather strip by mistake. The door strips have plastic pins around the lower and forward section.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: June 18, 2017 06:14AM

You should have the holes in the deck lid. As an aside the weatherstrip on the underside of the rear lid was straight across for most of 64 and towards the end of 64 production they changed it to wrap around the edges about 10-12". The Clark's strip has excess material for the wrap around,if yours is an earlier car you just cut off the excess.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: June 18, 2017 08:18AM

Just looked at my 1964 - Built end of February (02D) - the engine lid has a rubber strip attached to the rear underside (where the release handle is) It is retained with nylon embedded serrated pins in the rubber that mate with nylon receptacles in holes punched in the metal of the lid. It is also glued along it's length as well. It's about 4 feet or so across.
Also, there is a weatherstrip on the body at the front of the engine bay opening glued into the rain gutter of the opening. It also is about 4 feet.

Yes, the engine lid has the places for the individual C O R V A I R letters across the back - which is exclusive to the 1964 model.

What is the date code in the upper left of your Fisher Body ID plate? It's on the rear frame-rail.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: June 19, 2017 11:14AM

...Does your lid have individual letters spelling the word CORVAIR? If so you have 64 lid.

...Do you belong to Bonneville Corvair Club? There may be some local help for you there too.

Yes and yes. I noticed plugs at the front (very back of car) of the engine deck lid. Not by the hinges but where it latches. I can't find an exploded view in my assembly book.

...(Just looked at my 1964 - Built end of February (02D) - the engine lid has a rubber strip attached to the rear underside (where the release handle is) It is retained with nylon embedded serrated pins in the rubber that mate with nylon receptacles in holes punched in the metal of the lid. It is also glued along it's length as well. It's about 4 feet or so across.
Also, there is a weatherstrip on the body at the front of the engine bay opening glued into the rain gutter of the opening. It also is about 4 feet.

Yes, the engine lid has the places for the individual C O R V A I R letters across the back - which is exclusive to the 1964 model.

What is the date code in the upper left of your Fisher Body ID plate? It's on the rear frame-rail.)

It does have individual letters on the engine and front lids,
Body tag is DD 40967W125717

I will have to check to see if there is a strip for the part by the hinges.
Thanks for all your help everyone,

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Date: June 19, 2017 11:17AM

I found in my pile of weatherstrips one that goes up by the hinges also. So I guess the sides don't get weatherstriping along the sides of the engine deck lid.confused smiley

Deb ... Riverton, Utah

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 19, 2017 02:15PM

That's the way the factory did it...

I and a few others sealed the whole lid..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.