home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do all Corsas have heavy duty suspension?
Posted by: red64vair ()
Date: June 16, 2017 06:55PM

I have two and both have stiff suspension. Monza is much softer.

Larry Blaylock
Saltillo, Mississippi
64 convertible
66 customized Corsa coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do all Corsas have heavy duty suspension?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 16, 2017 07:03PM

I'm 99% sure that was optional "F41"???

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2017 07:17PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 16, 2017 07:09PM

A pretty rare option. Most do not have it.

Mike
YS-117

Date: June 16, 2017 07:28PM

Is there any notation on the car to verify that?

Larry Blaylock
Saltillo, Mississippi
64 convertible

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: June 16, 2017 07:34PM

If the original tags are still on the springs, that would be the best way to ID the suspension.

Date: June 16, 2017 07:38PM

1966 Corsa with factory option F41 - HD suspension had tags on the special springs:

You can see the part number and the HJ letter code.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 16, 2017 07:54PM

Larry: Look for a PM about the custom car

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: June 16, 2017 08:07PM

I seem to recall that the wire diameter of the coil springs are different on the HD springs.

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180/4 speed
1969 Monza convertible 140/4 speed

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: June 16, 2017 10:27PM

Wire diameter is different. If you can mic a coil you can call CSS and get them to tell you the diameter of the std. and HD springs. They can also give you the heights.

Clarks lists all the springs but they use their own numbers. You might call them and ask for the OEM numbers on the springs you my need. They are probably the cheapest source. CSS is very good but they custom make the springs, more expensive but you can customize them. For instance, get a spring with the same firmness as an HD spring but shorter. You can tune ride height that way and not just cut up springs.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: June 17, 2017 06:25AM

I had a '66 Monza coupe that had F41 Variation 3. It was a Canadian build so I am not sure if Variation 3 was a Canadian only thing.

James
Maple Ridge, BC

1965 Monza Coupe 140/4spd, Factory '66 headrests, rear antenna
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2009 Silverado HD Crew Cab 4x4 (for haulin cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: June 17, 2017 07:04AM

This chart gives the spring tag info and also the part numbers.

[www.corvairkid.com]

Coil Spring Specialties is an excellent resource for information and they do great work on customizations. My 66 Corsa had factory HD springs and I found some of the spring tags. I had CSS build HD rear springs with a 1 1/2" lift then I used Clarks HD in the front. The rear sits just slightly above level.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: June 17, 2017 09:22AM

A common myth about the Corsa model is that there was something special/different about it as opposed to the Monza. Truth is, the Corsa is nothing more than $74.20 worth of dash panel, wiring, senders, paint, trim, and exchange values.

Other than that, there is not a single fastener's worth of difference between the Corsa and any Monza that's equipped with a 140 and a clock.

Even today, I've had people ask me about this, and that is my answer. There is really nothing special about the Corsa. It's a myth that just won't die.

-Mark

Posted by: 66Monza140 ()
Date: June 17, 2017 09:26AM

My '66 Monza coupe has HD coils front and rear, still have the tags.
It also was born with A/C and a 140, so someone must've checked the option box....

"Give'r hell 'til you see God, then back'er down a notch"

'66 Monza 140 4 sp w/A/C...
Western VT

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: June 17, 2017 10:32AM

66Monza140 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My '66 Monza coupe has HD coils front and rear,
> still have the tags.
> It also was born with A/C and a 140, so someone
> must've checked the option box....

There were different factory F41 springs for A/C coupes and non a/c coupes.

Same with the convertible's with F41: Different springs for Convertible with a/c and non a/c convertibles.

My original, new 69 had the factory F41 option. When I installed the a/c in 1971, I replaced the coupe F41 springs with coupe F41 with A/C factory springs. Replaced the stock steering Box and Steering arms with Factory quick steering items at the same time.

Date: June 17, 2017 12:35PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A common myth about the Corsa model is that there
> was something special/different about it as
> opposed to the Monza. Truth is, the Corsa is
> nothing more than $74.20 worth of dash panel,
> wiring, senders, paint, trim, and exchange values.
>
> Other than that, there is not a single fastener's
> worth of difference between the Corsa and any
> Monza that's equipped with a 140 and a clock.
>
> Even today, I've had people ask me about this, and
> that is my answer. There is really nothing special
> about the Corsa. It's a myth that just won't die.
>
> -Mark
------------------------=================----------------------
Of Corsa there is "something different" about the Corsa. Chevrolet added the new "top line" model to the Corvair line to emphasize the sporting characteristic of the Corvair. The special instrumentation along with the standard new 140 HP 4 carburetor engine and the availability of the 180 HP Turbo-Charged engine was the reason there was a Corsa, which was priced just $162 above the price of the Monza 2 dr Sport Coupe. The addition of just the 140 HP engine to the Monza was $81 more and the special instrumentation was just not available unless you bought the new Corsa model.

Chevrolet had the marketing of special models "figured out" by the time the Corsa came around. Knowing that the opportunity for an entirely new model instead of just an option on the Monza series would enhance the entire line as well as sell more top line Corvairs was the motivation for refining the Monza into the Corsa by adding the special instrumentation, standard Super High Performance engine and naturally the emblems and special rear cove paint along with the bright metal rear air grille trim to enhance the exclusivity of the "top of the line" model. (Several Thousands more Corsa models were sold in 1965 than Corvettes!! - with the price difference of just a few hundred dollars.) Yes, Chevrolet did know how to sell Chevrolets. smoking smiley
The impact of adding more "high end" features to the standard Corvair - which become the Monza was the same motivation to do the same to the other Chevrolet lines in making the Super Sport option available.
Really a Monza is just a 500 with some added upgrade trim, right?! So yeah, the basic body and suspension on all Corvairs is the foundation for what we all love, in the end.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: June 17, 2017 04:58PM

Anyone want to trade a Corsa for my Monza?

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 18, 2017 08:47AM

would the suspension option not be on the body plate or is it just body options only?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 18, 2017 09:34AM

Fischer plate is Body options only

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: June 18, 2017 09:53AM

"Really a Monza is just a 500 with some added upgrade trim, right?"

Well, no. The Monza contained more than just "some added upgrade trim." It contained far more pieces to "upgrade" a 500 than did the Corsa to upgrade from the Monza trim. Like I said, the Corsa was basically $74.20 of dash panel, with all the wiring, sensors, etc. to make it work, plus some dress-up trim.

While it's true that it was a separate model and it is the only way to get the dash panel, plus it did open up the option sheet to the turbo engine, it also closed you off from the automatic, and in '65 the a/c.

What I'm looking at when I say there's nothing special about the Corsa, I am referring to the almost mythical/magical qualities a lot of people place on it. And since so many non-Corsa cars have had a Corsa dash (and other Corsa items) installed in them, it just reinforces my general point. It's why I built my '69 Corsa back in '72. It was easy to do, but pi$$ed off the purists something fierce. Mission accomplished!

In other words, people shouldn't over-emphasize it's value as opposed to an equivalently equipped Monza. The two are not that far apart.

-Mark

Date: June 18, 2017 01:43PM

The wire Dia. of the springs on my 65 Corsa is .440 front and .535 rear. If that is standard then I must have heavy duty double action shocks. The PO installed new shocks then stored the car 15 years.

Larry Blaylock
Saltillo, Mississippi
64 convertible

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.