home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Hoard of Corvairs
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: June 16, 2017 03:28PM

I saw on Yahoo news where the Town of Gaston Indiana was suing Mike McKeel because he has dozens of Corvairs setting around. Anybody live close to Gaston IN that knows about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hoard of Corvairs
Date: June 16, 2017 03:31PM

Currently Discussed HERE

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: toytron ()
Date: July 14, 2017 04:42PM

Hey all, sorry to bring this topic up again but this guy (Mike) is having a really tough time with this bad publicity from that reporter. I am not sure to what extent we could go to help him but I think the minimum would be to post blogs on these news paper websites under the article that was written on him. We are fortunate these days to have access to these sites and be able to speak out like we have not been able to, to such extent. Mike did not intentionally try and wrong someone but somebody got a bug up their butt and now wants to punish him. Let's try and show him some unity and at least make a small difference if possible.

Sorry I could not find the original link but when I do I will post the news article web address here.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 14, 2017 04:55PM

Back in the 1970's it was real easy to find and pick up broken down Corvirs for the cost of a towing fee. I acquired a bunch of them that the engine was junk.... at least the owner thought so, only later I found all they needed was a flywheel!
I nearly got into the Corvair hoard situation. Between Dad, my Brother and I.... we at one time had 11 registered Corvair's. That does not count the parts cars!

Finally I started to come to some thought of practicality. Dad got down to his Rampside. Brother got a new car and into airplanes. I kept thinning down the collection and tons of parts.
"Thanks to the Palm Springs Fanbelt Toss and swap meet"!smileys with beer

I think I have it somewhat in hand today. ?!?!?! I just have the Rampy and Greenbrier. But I can completely understand Mike Mckeel's situation and collection. I wish him the bet resolution.

Corventure Dave

Date: July 14, 2017 09:17PM

Dave, I agree and I too have to keep a handle on things. My biggest problem is that it seems that if they have had a problem with Mike then they should have tried to correct things years ago. You can clearly see from the old aerial view that he has had many cars for years. The media has become judge jury and executioner in the original article. I searched through Facebook and found the town's home site. After reading some of the past posts it is hard to imagine that they would have a problem with him because of the town's love for classic cars and the Indianapolis 500. It is also hard to imagine that even the majority of the town would have a problem because he is not inside the town but east of the town. It seems hypocritical when they are persecuting him while the town's mayor is seen saying that the town loves the classic cars. Just saying.

Posted by: ralph65corsa ()
Date: July 15, 2017 03:41PM

Every posts blames the reporter or the media. From what I have read it's his neighbors who are complaining to the city (county) about a junkyard that has developed over the years in their residential neighborhood.

I can't understand why it's hard to see why surrounding howemowners are upset about this. Many homeowners could care less about any old car hobby and certainly could see declining values to their homes with a junkyard in view.

How many old cars have any of us seen with rodent infestation? How many rats and mice make that junkyard their homes I wonder?

I can see how the guy amassed cars over the years but he's done it at the expense of his residential community and his neighbors.

I totally get why a nearby resident would be annoyed about a junkyard in their neighborhood. Junkyards are zoned to ares away from homes not next to them. them.

If the Corvair collector spent the effort, time and money into buying or renting the land required in a properly zoned area he wouldnt have the problems he has brought on himself today.

I know it's more popular to blame faceless organizations, however, the reality it is his own neighbors it seems he has pissed off.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 15, 2017 04:42PM

But Mike is not operating a junkyard. In fact he does not sell his stuff (cars or parts).

Posted by: cooterr ()
Date: July 15, 2017 06:59PM

This incident was not started by a complaining neighbor. A county building inspector/zoning Dept. employee cited Mike with a zoning violation.

In the process of trying to correct the situation a salvage yard permit was sought. At this time the neighbors objected because once it is zoned for a salvage yard it opens the door for others to apply for a salvage permit. Thus the neighbors objected.

A vote was held by the county counsel that was 4 to 3 against Mike. The vote was not valid since a quorum was not present for the vote.

Tom Miller
Performance Corvair Group
Circle City Corvairs
Corsa

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 15, 2017 08:10PM

Gaston already has a wrecking yard!! [ not Mikes!! ]

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 15, 2017 08:28PM

Here's Mike place today. nearest neighbor is RED "X"

Attachments:
Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: July 15, 2017 09:21PM

It's hard to tell from the pictures but from what I see things don't look that bad other than the fact he has quite a few vehicles in his yard. I have a friend who has had the same problem because a county inspector noticed his yard was loaded up with vehicles and other stuff he didn't think should be there.His yard was nor nearly as bad as Mikes. I know this is long but my friends place most of the stuff was to the rear of the house and shouldn't have been a problem.They made him put tags on all the visible cars or do something with them.IMHO I think these people overstep their bounds sometimes.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 16, 2017 03:11AM

Bryan county GA inspectors check for the far below items, but they are not asinine about it unless a complaint is lodged. I could have been cited for the 4 Vair's stored behind my garage for 5 years. I placed tarps over them to clean up the looks some. No fence in my backyard, so subdivision neighbor had a clear view of the cars. They never complained, but the one next to them complained about the 500 lbs of onions I put in my mulch pile. Code enforcement visited about that, but never questioned the 4 tapped cars up on blocks. No citation due to the mulch pile and a garden that was growing close by.

"When our inspectors are riding around town, they are looking for several things. These include, but are not limited to:
Overgrown lots
Littered and vacant lots
Dilapidated houses
Derelict vehicles
Trash
Illegal signs"

From the regulations:

302.8 Motor vehicles.
Except as provided for in other regulations, no inoperative or unlicensed
motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle
shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Painting of vehicles is prohibited unless conducted inside an approved spray booth.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: July 18, 2017 09:15PM

Yes Matt, the town has a junk yard and it is in the town. Mike's collection is not even in the town but it has a Gaston mailing address. As far as the reporter is concerned that reporter looked back for an old photograph which if you ask me is shoddy journalism. Why not a view from the neighbors perspective if that was where the problem lies. Oh and another thing if he was licensed as a junkyard then would that stop the supposed rat problem? I don't think so. Rats like the city because of the food abundance not because of abandoned cars. BTW that is why Chicago has its own additional code book for electricians because in city living you have more people per square foot to worry about and they do not allow for some wiring practices because of rat infestations that could and will chew through wire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.