home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
'68 Monza Convertible FOR SALE
Posted by: crtoons ()
Date: June 15, 2017 05:18PM

Well, the time has come to reach out to the Corvair community to find my '68 a new home, hopefully. I've tried Craigslist and Autotrader, and all I experienced was potential buyers setting-up appointments to come see the car and never showing up and a PayPal scammer!I get that I was asking a lot for the car but It's to the point now that after three years of owning it and enjoying driving it, it's time to let go and I'd rather offer it up to those of you experienced and knowing Corvair people and let the cards fall where they may.Those of you who may be familiar with it from my posts here or even possibly saw one of my FOR SALE postings knows that it has rust issues and that pretty much, I think, is what's been the heart of the lack of interest in the car. I can say that it runs GREAT and I do so enjoy driving it. I take it out about once a week to go to work and drive it around most of the weekend. I just want it to go to someone that'll appreciate what it is. In the interest of transparency, below are some details from my sale posting that will spell out a lot of info for anyone who may be interested.

When I bought this car I was very inexperienced as to what to look for and I paid WAY too much for it, and realize now that I've come to know more about them that I will never see anywhere near what I've got into it. So, here's the details:

The engine runs great with the previous owner having put over $2K in repairs with attention paid to the cylinders and the valve seats, which were rebuilt, as well as the fuel lines being replaced and the lower control arm bushings replaced, also by the previous owner. I've had the carbs tuned and put in a rebuilt transmission. I've driven the car on some of the hottest summer days, battling stop and go traffic from Hollywood to Burbank everyday and I have not had one incident of engine overheating with the air-cooled engine!

Comes with the original radio that needs to be hooked-up with the new wire harness that came with the car when I purchased it. New tires and beauty rings, and the convertible top is in great shape and manually operated. Drum brakes all the way around.

The interior has been customized by a previous owner in a two-tone dark red and white set up and the carpet and seat foam on the bucket seats need some love and there's also a padded dash pad as well.

It also has the usual Corvair oil leak problem, not bad though.

WHAT IT NEEDS:

The rust issues with it, as with most of the convertible models of this car. I've posted the main offending areas but have replacement parts for those areas off of a 1969 model. I was told by the previous owner it was a true California car but the rust areas betray that information and it will need body work if anyone intends on restoring it.

There's a crack on the windshield, that was there when I bought it, that hasn't spread at all in the last two years that I've owned the car and the driver’s side window is stuck in the down position. Most, if not all of the weather stripping around the car will need replacing, especially around the ragtop as it will leak from there when it rains or when you wash it. I keep a car cover and a blue tarp over the car in case it does rain.

As I mentioned earlier, the interior, especially the bucket seats need some attention with having a few small tears in the upholstery as well as needing NEW interior seat foam cushions, but it's not uncomfortable to drive around in the state their in but any prospective buyer might want to do that.

The previous owner said that he had installed a petronix electric ignition but I've always found that when the car has been sitting around for a few days it takes a couple of times to get the engine started but when it's being driven around regularly, no problem, it starts right up!

The speedometer and the gas gauge will need to be checked out and adjusted. The speed limit that it registers is clearly reading faster than the actual speed of the car, especially compared to the traffic around me and the gas gauge never goes above 3/4 of a tank even when I've just filled it up. The dashboard lights work but the intensity of them is a bit on the weak side but the headlights are fine. The blinkers work but the arm has to be held down and the flasher button is missing but it works, the previous owner put a screw in it's place so it can still be activated and turned off.

Included with the sale of the car will be 4 original Corvair wheels, jack, extra horn units, a clock for the dashboard, two extra, different styled steering wheels, a Monza center horn cover, a new signal arm, new seat back button covers, a set of 4 original Corvair hubcaps, extra fan belts, fan belt tool, replacement vent pulleys, air cleaner housing, air cleaner support, and side chrome stripping.

There you have it - warts and all!I'm looking for a CASH SALE/AS-IS. Please PM me with best offer or have any other questions or details you may need. If I don't get any buyers I may donate it to charity. I'm located in Burbank, CA.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: '68 Monza Convertible FOR SALE
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: June 15, 2017 06:40PM

No listed asking price ?

You may want to put it on Ebay.

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport Coupe. Purchased in 2014.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Date: June 15, 2017 08:51PM

Want to see what offers I get for it. Since the forum is a place for those in the know, I figure someone who's interested will make an experienced offer on it.

Posted by: capnqball ()
Date: June 15, 2017 10:21PM

I didn't see what transmission is in the car ?

Date: June 16, 2017 08:23AM

Powerglide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.