home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Finally
Posted by: Roelof ()
Date: June 15, 2017 02:56PM

After 3,5 years finally got it road-approved. With compliments of the inspector. Just as summer really starts. Just wait a week for the paperwork to complete and we can get plates and go....

Thanks for the help and advice.

Roelof

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finally
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 15, 2017 03:08PM

We knew you could do it! once you had a piston!!! gg

Have fun! What City are you in? When I was in the Hague in '93..... it was car culture galore! And for an American...got to see so many vehicles that were never available here...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2017 03:09PM by MattNall.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 15, 2017 04:01PM

That's so great to see!thumbs up
So happy to read of your progress. I hope to make a trip to Europe next year. I may have to make some contacts with our friends posting from over the pond!
smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Roelof ()
Date: June 16, 2017 01:16PM

It has been quite a ride..smiling smiley

When I bought the car almost four years ago I figured there was a risk involved when buying a car unseen on ebay. I was quite sure it would be a small project and that it would not quite match the description.

But it was a complete car. All original with everything there just the way I wanted it. The right color, engine, powerglide, electric top, the right interior color..and with a good price there would be some room for a small project. So I bought it and had it shipped to the netherlands.

When I saw it rolling of the trailer in front of my home I realized it would be a slightly bigger project.....

- the rockers were taped up as there were holes in them as long as about half the length
- allmost every panel needed some attention in rust repair to get it just right
- the windshield allmost fell out of the rotted frame
-'allmost every space inside the frame or duct was filled with NUTS....moody smiley

So I started disassembly and welding. And had a friend help me with the tricky welding stuff and making the car straight again. And then my son was born an everything went a little bit slower...

En then the rest... It really needed a new too. And new brake lines en rebuilding brakes...renuilding the front suspension and steering, clean the gas tank... rear springs...Clean and clean and clean and paint almost everything that came off.

And in between we moved to a bigger house with a good working space next to it. Much more room, and not just dry outside under a roof but really inside and heated, but I first had to organize the workshop with a new workbench, air, water... And redo the rest of the house.

And after that I finally had time for long evenings of sanding and shooting primer.... And then paint. Im never before successfully painted a whole car, but I decided to do it myself. Overall I am happy with the result. It is not a professional job if you look reallly close, but the VW paprika red looks just right....

And the the engine... I learned that a corvair engine runs pretty good with the heads screwed on just finger tight...So fixing a few leaks turned out to be a complete overhaul. Most of the engine was within specs so I could reuse a lot. Only the missing carburetor screw that was gone had done some damage, so I had to change the pistons for better ones. (Thanks again dave!). I changed the bearings, rings, painted the shields, removed layers and layers of dirt and oil, rebuilt carbs....

And then finally the weeks waiting for the test apointment and the drive tot the test facility last week.. I almost had to postpone it as I started an engine fire when doing a final tune up. Just to be sure I changed the fuel pump as I had to tighten the screws of the old one to stop the leaking. I forgot to tighten one of the fuel lines. Fuel sprayed the engine compartment when I tried to start the car and the explosion allmost blew the engine lid off. eye rolling smileyBut I do have a fire extingisher, so when I rinsed off the foam the damage appeared to be minor: the engine harness was burned, and I had to repaint the rear panel.....

And the the drive. As I had never drive a corvair before I really wondered what it would be like. I have owned some classic american cars before, but always bigger and with the engine in front. I tested the corvair only on a 300 meter parking lot as driving without plates is not really possible here.... And it is fun! And nothing like anything I have ever owned. Pretty quiet at hight speed, and quite some pep in it. It reminds me most of the 1971 Opel Manta that I had one time....

The only thing that went wrong was that I burned up the hot-spark electronic ignition kit within 20 miles and had to change to points again on the side of the road. As I had some doubts I had brought some tools and the points with me... It runs great now.

At the facility the inspector asked me to open the hood to look at the engine....Standing in front of the car....(tongue sticking out smiley... Now wait until the paperwork completes. I can't wait!

Roelof

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2017 01:24PM by Roelof.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.