home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wagon Interior purchase list. What am I missing?
Posted by: MrLakewood ()
Date: June 16, 2017 06:27AM

Not able to go to Independence...

I have not really been doing any of the shows with no interior in the wagon. I will give Corvair ranch a call on the cover. Have you ever seen a wagon with the round style handles front and back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: June 16, 2017 06:40AM

The '61 (500 & 700 series) and '62 700 series would have had the rounded style arm rests, but the rear may have been optional on the 500's. I have a '62 700 and a '62 Monza wagon. The 700 wagon has rounded rear arm rests with an ash tray. The base is not chrome, but the same color plastic as the door panels (beige in this case). I expect 700 4-door Corvairs would have had the same arm rests.

Wade

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: June 16, 2017 06:57AM

My only experience is with mine. Ray Morales from TX has a concours '61 that I will look at the show and see what his has.

And I will get you some pics of what I have for my, just for reference. Not sure the back rests are "correct", but I still have the boxes they came in so I can reference the part number of what I received.

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Date: June 16, 2017 06:59AM

Thanks Wade,

Do you think the front round arm rests would mount up correctly to the rear doors? No ash trays would be great! I see they have beige and black bases.

Date: June 16, 2017 07:04AM

I'll check later today.

Wade

Date: June 16, 2017 07:18AM

Thank you so much Wade!

Date: June 16, 2017 10:41AM

The front and rear arm rest bases have the same screw hole spacing (two holes @ 5-1/8" apart), so you can install a front base on the rear doors. This applies for the EM Monza squared-off chrome base and the 500/700 non-chrome round style. I attached a front base to a rear door, pictured here. Also here is a picture of the 700 rear base with the ash tray (but the pad is missing). If you use the ash tray base, there is a third smaller screw towards the front of the base. This also means you can easily install rear door arm rests on the front door is you want ash trays on the front.

Note that these are the car style bases like you showed above in the blue & white interior; I don't know if the FC bases have the same screw spacing.

Wade

Attachments:

Date: June 16, 2017 10:49AM

I may have overlooked them, but I did not see the EM 500/700 style arm rest base in the Clark's catalog. For what its worth, the fronts will fit either left or right side, whereas the rear with ash tray are left and right specific.

Wade

Date: June 16, 2017 11:00AM

Thanks Wade,

I have a call into Mark at Clarks to get some positive conformation. I have not seen and EM 500/700 base in the catalog. I am hoping that the FC has the correct 5 1/8" mounting holes. Black base, Silver vinyl pad and chrome trim would look great!

A guy can only dream... drinking smiley

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: June 16, 2017 12:30PM

Corvair Ranch may have some of both types of round rests too... Got a set from him with pads and had the pads recovered.

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Date: June 16, 2017 06:34PM

I didn't see seat belts on your list. If you are installing belts, Clark's can cut the seat belt slots in the front seat upholstery and sew binding around the holes so they won't tear out.

Something else to consider, which depends entirely on you personal preference, regards the cargo area carpet. The factory carpet in the Monza wagons was installed under the rear seat "flap" hinge. So the front edge of the carpet was captive under the hinge. The photo attached here is a wagon (not mine) with an original interior and you can see how the carpet is under the hinge. However the carpet stops there, so when the rear seat is folded down and the flap is down, you can see under the flap and the heater ducts will be visible as shown in the picture. If you don't like the appearance of that, Clark's has told me they can make the carpet longer to cover that area. I want to do this to my wagon when I get ready to install the upholstery. When I asked them about making the carpet longer they said to let them know how long to make the carpet.

Wade

Attachments:
Date: June 16, 2017 07:11PM

Wade, I would think that another 14-16 inches would be a good idea. I really had not thought about the seat belts. This Corvair never had any. Hmm...

Date: June 17, 2017 05:06AM

Ed, Thank you for your support and help! Pictures really do help!

Date: June 17, 2017 05:09AM

Another 12" in length on the cargo area carpet would be enough to reach the bottom seat cushion, so 14- 16" would fit under the seat and would be even better.

Wade

Date: June 17, 2017 05:27AM

Wade, That is just the information I am looking for. When spending this amount of $$$, we really do not want problems or mistakes in ordering.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.