home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Engine Prototype: The Stillborn Corvair Gen2 Modular Engine – From Two to Twelve Cylinders
Posted by: macpac ()
Date: June 14, 2017 08:38PM

I came across this recent article on a 10 cylinder prototype, apparently it has been around for years, however haven't hear about it until now, (have noticed a posting on the topic early last year. - an interesting article for those who may be interested:

Engine Prototype: The Stillborn Corvair Gen2 Modular Engine – From Two to Twelve Cylinders.
A ten cylinder Corvair engine installed in a FWD ’62 Impala? How’s that to get the juices of a hard-core Corvair air-head going?

link: [www.curbsideclassic.com]

Gary
Member of Corsa West
'64 Spyder convertible
'57 Olds 98 convertible

pics of '64 Corvair restoration 2016

[photos.google.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engine Prototype: The Stillborn Corvair Gen2 Modular Engine – From Two to Twelve Cylinders
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: June 14, 2017 09:23PM

Interesting. Only 120hp from the 10 cylinder is disappointing.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/US Navy Veteran
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Re: Engine Prototype: The Stillborn Corvair Gen2 Modular Engine – From Two to Twelve Cylinders
Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: June 15, 2017 04:04AM

I think the 120hp is from the 6 cylinder version.

Rocco

Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: June 15, 2017 05:05AM

The one piece cylinder and head design eliminating the push rod tubes was a good idea but the engine suffered from overheating problems The casting interfered with air flow.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: June 15, 2017 05:19AM

I believe there was an article in the Communique a few years ago.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 15, 2017 05:30AM

A club member here owned 4 of the engines in the late 70s. He wrote an article with pics for CORSA QUARTERLY. He also had a set of the GM Weber carbs. His car with that engine was shown at 1981 convention here in Denver. I can easily find QUARTERLY issue number this evening if anyone wants it.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: June 15, 2017 09:52AM

Can you imagine the overheating in a 10 cylinder, air cooled engine? The warranty costs would have been astronomical. The 1o cylinder put out 200HP. Still not much for a 10 cylinder but reasonable for 1961. Too bad GM didn't go to a water jacket for the opposed 6 as Porsche did. Then again, the cars were eliminated because of other cars in the line that sold better. Not so sporty but good grocery getters. I like to think that today's buyers are more intelligent about their engine choices but maybe not.

This engine configuration would have been so much more capable of HP mods.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: June 15, 2017 04:15PM

This was part of Corvair Preservation Foundation's exhibit at the museum Automotive Heriage Museum in Ypsilanti, MI. CPF is the non-profit foundation established by CORSA to share the history of Corvairs and their development and production during their time.
This has been preserved because of the dedication of folks who contribute their historical artifacts to the CPF and also those who help to fund the efforts to present this to the public.
Currently the CPF and CORSA are working to establish a physical Museum for the cars, engines, displays, and other archives owned by CPF.

If you are interested in helping this effort, please get in touch with your CORSA director to make this a reality.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 15, 2017 07:47PM

Even though no one asked I looked in my files just now and the magazine featuring the experimental engines here in Denver is CORSA QUARTERLY Vol 7 No 1.

There is pics of the engine parts and also the story of how the author obtained the engines.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: June 15, 2017 08:39PM

If the old head is working I remember it was an April CORSA that had the engines. I though it was a spoof the year after the April swim suit issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.