Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
ethical venders
Posted by: larry cooper ()
Date: June 12, 2017 08:39AM

Recently I needed a part for my Corvair. I found a listing for the part and it was available from a company or firm that I was not familiar with. I contacted the firm and received an email stating the price, also the name of the man who owns the firm. The name brought back memories. Sometime in the past , I'm sure it was near to 2 years ago, I ordered a LH headlight bezel for my '61 Monza , I received it and it was trash, there were holes eaten through the aluminum , it was totally unusable. I did not contact the man concerning
the bezel, for one thing if I emailed him , it was possible he would claim it was good and I was trying to scam him. It was not worth the shipping cost to send it back to him or to pay the shipping for another wondering if it too would be no good. My decision was to never buy from him again , maybe he is just a guy trying to make living and the cost to me wasn't going to hurt that much. I will not print his name or the name of his firm, but I suggest you who might buy from any vender make sure it is stated the part is in usable condition. I am hard core about ethics , hopefully my post will cause sellers
to be concerned about being truthful about the parts they sell. Larry Cooper

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ethical venders
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 12, 2017 08:55AM

We need to know whom that vendor was.

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: June 12, 2017 09:02AM

Yes some vendors are much better than others. Perfect example is a parts order I placed in February. I waited patiently for several MONTHS for my parts after paying upfront which was a mistake. After a few emails and over 2 months from initial order I got 1/3 of my parts then a month later another 1/3. The last part of my order I said cancel because I already purchased and received parts from another vendor. These are not rare parts either - two upper ball joints. I'm still waiting for the refund of those parts of which I have inquired about numerous times over the last few months with a variety of excuses as to why I have not been repaid. This is atrocious business ethic. I'm not going to name the seller because I would like to eventually get my money back. I'm sure some here probably know who though. Never again

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 12, 2017 11:01AM

I'm always willing to help someone when I can but you want it to be a choice. Selling someone junk advertised as parts is stealing in my opinion. Giving the benifit of doubt everyone has a different opinion of parts condition and some just don't know, I'm guilty of not knowing. When I sell on ebay I take lots of pictures and ask anyone to correct my listing and when they do I post it because nobody is happy when they get something they can't use and I don't want to cheat anyone either.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 12, 2017 12:03PM

Larry - why vent here and waste our time if you are not going state the vendor name.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: June 12, 2017 02:27PM

Vendors are usually pretty good. Sometimes they start out good and end up being less than reputable. I had such an experience. I had purchased with good results from Arizona Corvairs, owned and run by John Seaman. They are just outside Scottsdale, Arizona. John had provided me with good quality parts on at least three occasions before I ran into a problem.

I ordered a variety of parts in two separate orders. After getting a price on the parts, I sent John a US Postal Money Order for the total plus all shipping he had quoted in writing. The three parts were;

A) FC headlight buckets, right and left side
cool smiley lower engine shrouds with the T-Stat vent doors & housings
C) rear side door latch mechanism for a Greenbrier, deluxe or standard

Well A & B were sent but in deplorable condition, barely useable. It seems that item (C) wasn't available. Somehow, between the time I asked for a quote on the part and after I paid, amnesia set in on John Seaman and his crew and they had no idea of what I needed. So I said forget it, just refund me the difference. Oh no, John said, we don't refund money. You can get a credit but that's all you'll get.

Email after email that I sent went ignored. Apparently John was retiring from day to day activities and would only do limited activity like engine building. When I told him his way of doing business was shoddy and I might just give him some review on the Corvair Forum, he told me the last guy that did that got sued and he got a $9600 judgement against him. Really ?

Well, I'm not sure if John just got old and beyond his years but I advise anyone who may contact him for parts to be very very careful. REMEMBER THAT YOU PAY UP FRONT AND WAIT TO GET WHAT THEY PROMISE, AND YOU DON'T GET REFUNDS. BUYER BEWARE.

Incidentally he is the ONLY vendor I have ever had a bad experience.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 12, 2017 03:15PM

larry cooper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...hopefully my post will cause sellers
> to be concerned about being truthful about the
> parts they sell.

Nothing makes a seller more honest than daylight. Letting an issue stay in the shadows only encourages more bad behavior.

[corvaircenter.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: June 12, 2017 03:22PM

I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience with any of our Vendors, And I have bought a lot of stuff over the years, I think the fact they all know I am a loud mouth belligerent brawler that would scream to high heavens on every forum there is if they screwed me helps, so I get top notch service! lol drinking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: ralph65corsa ()
Date: June 12, 2017 03:41PM

I'm confused. I can't find any business information on Arizona Corvairs.
Is AZDave Arizona Corvairs?
Are we talking about a legit business or a hobby thing?

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 12, 2017 04:29PM

John Seaman took over Charlie Dyes inventory. Not really sure what kind of business he has but I see him at the Toss every year in Palm Springs.
AZDave is NOT John Seaman.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: June 12, 2017 04:53PM

There are some good places to buy used parts from. Maybe starting with the vendors that support this site should be looked at first. thumbs up

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 12, 2017 05:16PM

ralph65corsa Wrote:
> I'm confused. I can't find any business
> information on Arizona Corvairs.
> Is AZDave Arizona Corvairs?
> Are we talking about a legit business or a hobby
> thing?

====================================================

Real Business... has a Website and John is / was prez. of the Cactus Corvair Chapter

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 03:11PM by MattNall.

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: June 12, 2017 05:18PM

Any time you have a problem with a vendor and can't resolve the issue I suggest that you contact Ken Hand who is the Corsa Parts and Repair chairman. He will help you with the problem.
I did that for Corsa back in the 80's and only had a few complaints to deal with and they were with the same vendor who I cannot mention here since that was years ago.
John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 12, 2017 06:14PM

I can speak as both, since I am both a consumer and a vendor. As a consumer, the nice thing about Corvair vendors is that we (consumers) are a niche market (i.e. small). If a vendor screws a consumer or two, the vendor will definitely suffer the long term results. Maybe that is not important to the big-time guys, (really meaning not Corvair-specific vendors). But if most of what you sell is Corvair stuff, and you don't perform, bye-bye business. As a vendor, I have an extra bonus - this isn't my livelihood. I don't need to squeeze an extra buck out of a customer. That gives me extra flexibility. However, the reason I started supplying parts is that my Corvair friends needed stuff and couldn't find a source. And most of my customers (not all, but most) are still my friends. So who wants to screw over their friends? (please note, that is a rhetorical question). Now, I cannot speak for the person who is selling a few left over parts because he no longer has a Corvair. I refer to them as a seller, not a vendor. (a fine line, I know.) If someone buys something from me and it is not as described, I want to hear about it. If I do not reasonably "fix" the problem, the buyer has a right to complain.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: June 12, 2017 06:19PM

I've bought from Clark's, Lon. Seth and California Corvairs, never a problem, have bought from people at shows, conventions and such, all good. I met Charlie Dye once, didn't need anything at the time but his parts seemed like a bargain back then.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 12, 2017 06:32PM

I'm glad I give stuff away, but how knows, someone may feel stiffed on free stuff.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 12, 2017 07:00PM

MattNall Wrote:

> RealBusiness... hasa Website and John is / was
> prez. of the Cactus Corvair Chapter

John Seaman was prez of Cactus Corvair Club for many years but stepped down after 2016.
He is "Arizona Corvair Corral".
[www.corvaircorral.com]

I know John through the club but am not affiliated with his hobby/business (except for helping him set up the website some years back).

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 12, 2017 08:07PM

What John Sweet says is true but you do need to be a CORSA member for Ken to help.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: June 13, 2017 04:16AM

All the vendors and individuals ive bought parts from over the years have been excellent. I cant say that about some that have bought from me :/ Thats why im no longer suppling crown replacement parts. Mike

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: June 13, 2017 05:15AM

Grading the condition of 50 year old Corvair parts is difficult, one guy might find a part perfect while another says it's junk.....you can't win sometimes sad smiley Best to try to work with seller.smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.