home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 65 More Door with Subaru/Porsche conversion project
Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: June 16, 2017 06:56AM

Looks like the rockers have been reinforced or rebuilt?

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 16, 2017 06:58AM

Your vairy own mystery shifter!!! smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: 737ETOPS ()
Date: June 16, 2017 08:01AM

Very cool Subaru engines are great love my EJ22. Any cooling issues with the radiator and electric fan side mounted like that?

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 16, 2017 08:19AM

63spyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the rockers have been reinforced or
> rebuilt?

Don't think so but I do see that black line that looks like road tar on the left rocker underside. The body has the usual minor rust areas though. Certainly nothing scary strength-wise.

737ETOPS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very cool Subaru engines are great love my EJ22.
> Any cooling issues with the radiator and electric
> fan side mounted like that?

The radiator install by the PO was only enough to get by while he worked out the bugs in the driveline. He planned to upgrade it later, as will I, once I confirm all the pieces are playing nicely together.

I noticed this is one of those LM Corvairs with the body tag on the left. I don't see those too often.

Passed Missouri Safety Inspection in 2001!

Probably will sell the clock and put in a tach later.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Attachments:

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: June 17, 2017 02:36AM

I'd prefer the EZ30 flat-6 Subaru Engine...

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

bnc

Date: June 19, 2017 08:22AM

This weekend I made good on my threat to learn a few more things about what is inside the heart of this conversion. Glad I did.

As I prepped to drop the powertrain I found out why one U-joint strap was busted. The U-joints are too big for the yokes and someone had used a die grinder and brute force to try to make them fit. I previously mentioned one of the half shafts was backwards and I guess they just installed it like that instead of pressing the bearings back out and putting the yokes on the opposite ends. It might not make any difference in operation but it certainly looks wrong visually.

Seeing how this engine/tranny combo is new to me I did not know the balance point of the assembly. When I carefully loosened the transmission support bolts I expected the tranny nose to drop a little. Instead, it was held tight to the mount because the balance point was out past the other mounts under the engine. This meant that the entire weight of the powertrain was hanging cantilevered off of the two remaining mounts, one of which had a cracked weld half way around the tubing below it. At this point, I was visualizing the cracked tube letting go and the possibility of the engine and tranny falling out of the car sideways from 5’ above the pavement. I quickly got a lift table underneath and kept it up close until I was ready to drop the entire unit. One I had it all ready, I lowered the table and rolled the whole thing into the shade for a good review and a lunch break.

With the powertrain is out I was better able to evaluate how they hung the engine in the car. The original plan to support the engine at the tranny tail and at the stock engine mounts was probably a good plan until they ran into trouble with the exhaust and decided to cut away the rear support and add angled side supports instead.

When the powertrain goes back in it will certainly have to get a better support design. I think I will return to the rear mount like they originally intended and route the exhaust around it. After I had the assembly safely lowered down on the hydraulic cart a good friend stopped by. He doesn’t know diddly about Corvairs but he sure knows about structural dynamics having worked over 25+ years for a major helicopter manufacturer in Phoenix. He has offered his services to engineer the supports properly.

After splitting the engine and tranny I learned that while the clutch and flywheel were unused, there had been some water intrusion resulting in light surface rust on the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces. You can easily read the label on the Sachs clutch facing so I know the clutch was never used even once. I cleaned up the rust and it is ready for re-assembly. Other than one messed up hex head bolt on the flywheel, I found the engine to the tranny assembly seems to be sound. I saw the KEP 6500 kit stamping on the adapter plate so I was correct that they used a Kennedy adapter kit so I can trust the engineering of those parts.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8

Date: June 26, 2017 01:28PM

Update:

Got the power train all back into one unit and along the way found some more issues.

As I was sliding the tranny into place I needed to rotate the input shaft slightly so that shaft splines would align with the clutch splines. I grabbed to left output flange and spun it and notice the right flange had a severe runout issue. Each side has an adapter that nests over the Porsche flange before you attach the half shaft yoke. One adapter was almost 1/8" out and never seated on the flange fully. I'm guessing that when it didn't bolt up easily somebody ran it on home with an impact gun. I have a feeling it's been that way since it was in a sandrail because the inside of the adapter was full of fine sand. I was able to get it right by cleaning up the burrs on the lip and re-tapping the threads.

I decided to check the engine as far as I could while it is out so I proceeded to make an engine stand and rig it up to run while on my lift table. I rigged up a small fuel can, Bosch pump and pressure gauge. When I pressurized the fuel lines I found a major flood of fuel from the right bank because the injectors did not have the outer O-rings installed. When I bought the car the PO included a spare fuel rail with injectors so I was able to scavenge parts and get it sealed.

The PO told me he had the engine running at one time but that's had to believe unless it was just while on starter fluid spray only. The injectors were all wired to the IAC controller outputs by accident so they were not opening at all.

With some help from the web I got the injectors wired correctly to the ancient engine controller. Now I had spark just before TDC #1, fuel flow through the injectors and a start switch rigged. Would she fire?

Well, she did fire up and run but very poorly. Lot's of shaking and quaking with a good mix of what sounds like rod knock. I ran it twice like you will see in the video below to get the oil warm and into circulation.

With all of the rockin' and knockin' during the test fire I decided to do a compression check. Not good. 60, 90, 90, 125. Pressures should be in the 125# range at least. I might do a leak down test too but I think the PO got a deal on the engine because it was abused in the sandrail. The engine management system had nothing connected to the knock sensor input and I have no idea what engine map was running or how to change that if I wanted.

I'm thinking it is time to search for a known good engine and ECU system before I go any further. The bad engine I have will let me continue to tinker with the conversion.

Sumitted for your entertainment.

66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 26, 2017 04:02PM

Could be worse!! Lots of parts on this one..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.