home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mystery at the gas pump
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 16, 2017 02:03PM

I intend to figure this out after we get back from the convention. We are driving this car to Independence next Saturday and have lots going on until then.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: June 16, 2017 03:36PM

Why didn't you just run out of gas and ignore the gage? Then you would know what the tank holds. Isn't that what you wanted to know?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 16, 2017 04:12PM

Layton... read his first post... exactly what he did!! How he found out he can only get 10 gal.out of it... Not the 14 it holds..

I had a '79 Dodge with 35 gal tank...but could only get 20 out of it... I posted the story on that years ago..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: June 17, 2017 12:15PM

Knowing how much is still there can be a crutch, too. I know I once put it in neutral after running (before replacing the gauge) and coasting a few miles into a gas station, where it took 40.9 liters.

Yesterday, after telling myself to get gas for a few days (lines had been long), I pulled into the gas station and put 40.1 liters in it. So I was down to 27 ounces of gas.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: June 17, 2017 02:00PM

I have an old gas tank that I plan on cutting the front out of so I can install a new sender and adjust it before installing it in the vehicle.

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: rmvair ()
Date: June 17, 2017 02:59PM

Ah, memories!
About 1964 driving a 1963 coupe I had the same thing happen to me. Driving "up North in Michigan" could only get 6 gallons fuel into tank??? Kept driving.
About 50 miles later car dies on a gravel road in Northern Michigan.
Problem, gas tank had collapsed (?) one band slid off tank, tank dropped down pinching fuel line!
Pushed tank back up, slid strap back in place, a piece of baling wire to hold straps in place on to cabin in the woods. 2 days later drove back home to Southern Michigan. Dealer put in new tank at no charge.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.