home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Wanted - Late model convertible engine compartment insulation
Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: May 18, 2017 04:41PM

Unfortunately, I am not satisfied with Clark's inner rear fender/engine compartment insulation. I assisted a friend of mine install it in his Monza convertible. It is very thin and brittle and nearly impossible to install it without breaking or cracking the sectional pieces. For this reason, my search for two good side original insulation pieces has started. I would be seriously interested in any above average, good or excellent condition pieces to purchase. I assume 1965 to 1969 convertibles would all be the same.....

needpart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 06:20PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wanted - Late model convertible engine compartment insulation
Posted by: vairjunkie ()
Date: May 18, 2017 05:18PM

Hey Tom,
Actually, the 68-9 rear quarter pieces have a small cutout at the rear edge for the marker lamps but otherwise, they are the same.
I have a few NOS pieces and a stack of good used ones but not sure how to ship something like that?
Eric

Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: May 19, 2017 10:48AM

Eric:

If you have some NOS or really good used 1965-67 ones, I would be seriously be interested in purchase of these. My 1966 Corsa vert is in process of complete restoration so the newer the better. I am unsure if you can fold them without damage for shipping. If they need to be shipped unfolded I will honor the shipping. Feel free to e-mail me at 66vairman@comcast.net to discuss further.....
Thanks!

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 20, 2017 02:08PM

Eric,

You ship them just like the factory did, between two huge pieces of corrigated cardboard.

-Mark

Date: May 20, 2017 04:39PM

Hey Mark,
The NOS ones I have are still in the original GM cardboard packages but trying to find a couple pieces of cardboard that big is going to be a challenge!
Eric

Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: May 20, 2017 05:12PM

Eric, I am also restoring a 66 vert and would also be interested in any extra NOS insulation panels you may want to part with.
Thanks, Brice

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 20, 2017 05:33PM

If you go to a local store that sells bicycles, maybe they could provide you with a shipping box from a bike?

Just a thought.....Maybe get a couple boxes. The second box could be trimmed to fit inside and provide additional protection.thumbs up

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2017 05:35PM by Caraholic4life.

Date: May 20, 2017 06:40PM

That's a good idea. Now I just need to get them down from the back of the barn!

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: May 21, 2017 01:37AM

Re: LARGE Cardboard for shipping it....

As Caraholic4Life mentioned go to your local bike store. You can also check your local MUSIC stores (thats musical instruments for rocknroll, country bands, etc). The really big cardboard boxes that soundboard-mixing consoles, and the boxes that "stacks" large four speaker cabinets come in .....Google pictures of CREAM with Eric Clapton circa '67 & '68 and HENDRIX circa '67 to '70.....about the size of a fridge...............music stores that sell a lot of stuff spend about two hours per morning just UNBOXING new stuff and checking that it isn't defective.....then the two lowest paid employees will spend another hour and a half hauling the carboard boxes to the dumpster. Typically this happens in the morning. Rock-N-Rollers and Musicians don't get up before noon! They do this every morning before they get busy.
Occasionally, you'll get some UNBOXING when UPS or FED-EX delivers something in the afternoon, but unless that is something wanted immediately on the sales floor or for an expectant customer, the UNBOXING will take place early the next morning when there are no customers. The bike store usually UNBOXES most all the time.
The difference is that in a music store, space is at a premium because you have LESSON ROOMS etc as well as room in back that the Guitar Tech/Electronics tech has repair bench etc. Because you may have gear and guitars that have a sales tag for as much as $5000 to $6000, you as a Music store have to be wary of those that would STEAL and walk off with a MARTIN, or Gibson Les Paul or SG , or a Fender , or whatever. Thats why typically the CARDBOARD BOXES are available in the mornings between 9:30 and 12:00 being hauled to the dumpster. Other times the store staff has to be among the customers in the showroom or else valuable instruments walk out the door..
Both Bike stores and Music stores will give you all the cardboard you need as long as you call or talk to them before so that you aren't disrupting them when they are busy with customers or short-staffed.
U-Haul sells large cardboard boxes typically used for Moving. You may also try locally owned large APPLIANCE stores, as they likely will do the same for ya as MUSIC stores and Bike stores. You will not have any luck with the major National RETAIL APPLIANCE/ELECTRONICS stores in a search for boxes as they will just say No Sir, we don't have any boxes that you can have, have you tried _____......
.........Remember to check for the typical times each day that BOXES get marched to the dumpsters at Bike and Music stores, call or talk to mgmt and staff there......UNLESS YOU ENJOY CLIMBING INTO DUMPSTERS WITH WHO KNOWS WHAT TO RETRIEVE THE CARDBOARD.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 21, 2017 04:28AM

Mattress stores and body shops may have the large cardboard she's you need for shipping.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 21, 2017 05:20AM

...and any store that sells flat-screen TV sets (cardboard box material)

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+17 Tons of parts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.