home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
EFI from clarks
Posted by: viniuk ()
Date: May 18, 2017 11:16AM

Hi i am looking at swooping out my carbs on my 140 corsa due too small hair line crack in secondary​ carb float bowl I have been looking at the EFI system that clarks sell
Am after any advice on set up and is it worth the money being in the UK will also have shipping cost and duty

Vini Ryan Manchester UK
1965 Corvair Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EFI from clarks
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 18, 2017 11:25AM

It's a good kit,,I am sure j3m will chime in and explain it to you.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: May 18, 2017 11:37AM

Vini,

A couple of people have installed this kit and liked it. The designer has gone to a lot of trouble testing it out and make it user friendly. I also believe that it comes with support to help you install it and get it running. I plan to get one and use it on one of our Corvair Ultravans.

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered)
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.

Posted by: viniuk ()
Date: May 18, 2017 11:50AM

Thanks for the comments davemotohead , Ottawacorvairguy

Sounds like it could be the way forward for me hoping to get summer out of carb as crack not gone all the way through so when I am state side in September can get it shipped to hotel and bring it home in luggage.

Vini Ryan Manchester UK
1965 Corvair Corsa

Attachments:
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 01:01PM

Many people remove the secondary carbs completely from a 140, some argue it's better without, may be an option for the summer at least.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: May 18, 2017 02:23PM

viniuk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi i am looking at swooping out my carbs on my 140
> corsa due too small hair line crack in
> secondary​ carb float bowl I have been looking
> at the EFI system that clarks sell
> Am after any advice on set up

its a good kit.......but w/only 2 throttle body youll choke your 140 for air @ high rpm. heres some info.

if your not running your 140 hard.......youll wont notice this loss of power @ high rpm.

> and is it worth the money being in the UK will also have shipping cost
> and duty

cant say if its worth the money..........only you can know that.

it would be worth the money to replace your secondary carb w/the hair line crack & rebuild the carbs if they are worn out.

if your carb linkage is worn out.........most are now........it would be worth the money to replace it with some nice linkage.....like this.

efi is better than carbs.....thats a fact. but that doesnt mean that the carbs wont work good for you when they are rebuilt & working like the factory designed.

lots of vairs are running carbs & everything is fine.

how much will it cost to get the efi..........shipping & duty? how much will it cost to get a secondary carb & rebuild your carbs if they need it?

only you can say if its worth the cost because everyone has a different idea of what something is worth.

-Scott V.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: May 18, 2017 04:25PM

Ray Sedman of American Pi sells an EZEFI kit that converts the lower section of the carbs to EFI. You can buy four of the units and have all four acting as primaries. With the EFI, you won't get too much or too little fuel. All EFI systems will want a lot more fuel pressure so factor in a new fuel pump and filter. As the name implies. this is an easy way to accomplish a high performance EFI system. Ray can talk you through everything you will need.

American PI EFI

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: May 18, 2017 05:57PM

>>>>>Many people remove the secondary carbs completely from a 140, some argue it's better without, may be an option for the summer at least.

Life is so boring after thatsmiling smiley Once you crack those secondaries its to much fun to ever turn back. I do have one secondary that has almost caused me to take a hammer to the whole car though. Love hate relationship really. J3M would be super pissed to know I drove 44 miles back and forth to work for the past 2 weeks. Hell I even had points in! I know, It's nuts what a lunatic I am. I do like Browns EFI though.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: vacorvairlover ()
Date: May 18, 2017 06:08PM

Greetings from the states, I plan on installing the kit from Clark's on my 140 auto since this will become my daily driver. If I get everything done before you return to the states your welcome to contact me and ask how it's doing, I've seen almost as hot a discussion on the topic of 140 with just the 2 TBs flowing not as much, the same, and more than all four carbs WOT as that of which motor oil is best haha. I'm going to guess that at worst you will not notice any difference in performance due to the perfect tune of both fuel to air and ignition even if it flows a bit less. But to me flawless starting and running everytime no matter the weather or temp of the engine and the lack of fiddling with carps, points, cap rotor, to me thats a pretty good selling point. Just my 2 cents worth.

John Garrison
Roanoke VA.
1964 corvair spyder convertable
1965 Corvair Monza 140 auto coupe soon to be my daily driver
2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
2011 Dodge Avenger 3.6L

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 07:33PM

..how often are you going to run the engine at WOT where the extra fueling volume of carbs would make any major difference?

bnc

Posted by: Huntsville ()
Date: May 18, 2017 08:16PM

didget69 Wrote:
> ..how often are you going to run the engine at WOT
> where the extra fueling volume of carbs would make
> any major difference?
>
>
> bnc

Every time you crank it up, of course!!! grinning smileysmoking smiley

Danny Robertson
Huntsville, Al
'64 Spyder (Daily Driver)
'63 Rampside (Rotisseried and in Progress!)

Date: May 18, 2017 08:34PM

I will race my 140 with 4 carbs against a 140 w/2 carbs or with EFI on 2 ports and we will see who wins? 140 engines like to rev and run especially good with a good cam and all 4 carb ports, Why choke off the bigger heads with not enough flow at higher RPM? If I was going to do a 140 I would go with American PI set up as well, Better to have too much than not enough, if your not going to get full use out of a 140 get a 95 with A/C and 4 doors. smoking smiley

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: May 19, 2017 06:27AM

I don't want to take a sale from Tedd, but there might be an alternative.

How about a FiTech TBI on a 4Bbl 140 intake?

A company that sells aircooled VW stuff is taking the FiTech system and reprogramming it to run on anything from 90HP NA to 600HP Turbo.

[www.lowbugget.com]
Their NA kit costs $1400.

You might be able to purchase the 400HP unit from FiTech (~$800 + fuel plumbing) and bolt it to the 4Bbl intake without reprogramming.

This would allow you to use all of the intake ports, and the fuel atomization from the injectors may reduce the throttle lag and runner freezing that the 4Bbl intake with a carb is notorious for.

So, you have three system to consider:

Clarks - A proven system. Tedd mentioned in another post that he is working on a system specifically for the 140

American Pi - A proven system that would give the 140 back its Oomph.

FiTech - Currently an unproven system for the 140, but has potential.

Just my thoughts.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: May 19, 2017 07:13AM

wv-geo Wrote:
> This would allow you to use all of the intake
> ports, and the fuel atomization from the injectors
> may reduce the throttle lag and runner freezing
> that the 4Bbl intake with a carb is notorious
> for.

w/the TBI on a 4Bbl 140 intake youll have the same runner freezing that the 4Bbl intake with a carb is notorious for.

-Scott V.

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: May 19, 2017 07:42AM

Fitech is a consideration for my turbo build. I don't drive our convertible when it's cold 😉

Will
Northern California

Date: May 19, 2017 07:46AM

j3m wanna race? Oh Ya, you don't have a corvair smoking smiley

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 08:11AM

davemotohead Wrote:
> j3m wanna race? Oh Ya, you don't have a corvair
> smoking smiley

You knew you would get a response with that.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 08:39AM

It is proven that EFI will not make your engine run any faster. But it will improve the starting, smoother idle, just like a modern car. I believe that the carbs on the corvair were it's downfall. Just look how many post on this site are about problems with the carbs. The old flathead fords that I used to drive never had to do a carb adjustment, just start and go, not to fast but never had to worry about the carb. I know I'll get flak about the corvair carb being so good . Not all of us are DAVEMOTOHEADS that have the knowledge to do the special tweeks to make them somewhat reliable. Yes EFI is not the future, it's been around at least 30 years. There's nothing wrong with living in the passed but there's also looking for better ways to solve your problems. flame on gents.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: May 19, 2017 08:48AM

Great topic and responses.

J3M, are you sure you don't have anything to add? grinning smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: May 19, 2017 09:03AM

While EFI improves drivability under nearly all conditions, it doesn't increase power (unless it somehow can increase flow).

To me the biggest problems with the carbs, other than 50+ years of wear on them and the linkage, is owners who won't leave well enough alone. Same thing with valve adjustments. How many times do we see someone pick up a nice running Corvair and the top of their to-do list is a valve adjustment? Why? If it is running good, leave it alone.

Once everything is in proper working order, leave it alone. Drive and enjoy!

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Oklahoma City, OK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 09:07AM by Spectre.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.