home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Any Corvair ownership coincidenses?
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 18, 2017 02:41AM

I got my first Corvair in the fall of '68. In the spring of '69 one week to the day before they stopped building the Corvair, it was lost in the aforementioned car accident. For two weeks I was without a Corvair. I bought my second Corvair one week to the day after they stopped building the Corvair. I have never been without owning at least one Corvair ever since.

-Mark

P.S. And yes, they are like Lay's potato chips. Said that for years.grinning smiley

P.P.S. I also said that things happen in threes for me. I've owned a total of 36 Corvairs over the years. Three times a dozen. winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 05:35AM

I owned a 1965 Monza 140-pg back in 1989-90.Sold it to a local guy in upstate NY.He passed on sometime maybe 15 years ago.His son took possession of the car and put it in storage.I saw the car for sale on Craigslist in Albany ny about 3-4 years ago.I drove up to ny From tn and bought it back.Car now almost done.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 18, 2017 07:34AM

A couple of weeks ago, Cody and I went in together to purchase a parts car and extra parts from the son of a man who died several years ago. I wanted the engine and front seats and Cody got the car and parts...

Cody was going through the car and parts and found a note, a list of needed parts really, and on it were two names and phone numbers; mine and Cody's.eye popping smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: May 18, 2017 09:08AM

Of the seven cars that currently reside in my garage / driveway / street (the beauty of four kids still living at home), the Corvair is the only one that isn't black or blue. Before the Corvair, I had two first-gen Camaros that were both blue.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: Demon-Xanth ()
Date: May 18, 2017 10:39AM

Back around 1966-1968 my mom had her first accident that involved a guy pulling out and hitting the side of her car. When I showed my mom that I got my '61 white+red Corvair she seemed very unthrilled. Then she explained, she had to drive her '61 red+white Corvair with a dent in the side through highschool and was embarrassed because of it. Before that day, I never knew what car she had.

'61 Monza 900, 3 speed. Roams the streets of soon to be Stafford, Va
Cars need to drive to be alive. One that never leaves the garage may be perfect, but dead.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 18, 2017 11:02AM

Well - This is the most entertaining thread of the day! Us Corvair guys are weird!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Goop Of Oil ()
Date: May 18, 2017 11:51AM

What a Coincidence! Phil, your wife's Corvair Picture looks like a Color Palette.
Vairy nice shot. smiling smiley

Mark Holmlund

Posted by: vacorvairlover ()
Date: May 18, 2017 12:05PM

Well when I was six and we lived in Charlotte NC ('91) there was a little red with black top 61 coupe that sat in the driveway of our neighbor. My cousin came down and bought the car, I got to steer the car while the pushed it around the corner and to the trailer. Years later my mom met a friend of the same cousin and he became my step dad. When he moved to Roanoke from Philly one of the cars was this red 61. My mom and I looked at this car for several days until one of us finally found a family photo we took in front of our 60 Studebaker wagon and in the background was that same little red corvair... My step dad died in 09 and I inherited the car. My wife and I drove the car for several years and ended up selling it in October to a nice couple about an hour away.

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: May 18, 2017 03:34PM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a random shot my wife took of the Galli
> family sport sedan that I would buy two years
> later.
>
> She is under orders to photograph and leave a note
> on all unknown Corvairs she sees while out and
> about.
>
> Speaking of random Corvairs I saw an early coupe
> drive by Pioneer Mining Supply in Auburn last
> week...anybody?

Hopefully you made it over to the AleHouse for their killer Tri-Tip sandwich 👍

Will
Northern California

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: May 18, 2017 05:28PM

I've now owned a '60 "700" coupe A.K.A. Skirts for the 3rd time. First bought it from the 3rd owner in 1997,sold it to a non Corvair guy and traded him a '65 Rambler Marlin to get it back. Then traded it to Caveman Pete for a rampside and bought it from him a month ago. EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: May 18, 2017 07:23PM

I got back into Corvairs by coincidence. I started with my first Vair at 10 years old with a 62 coupe. By the time I was 19 I had 3 including a 65 coupe and a 67 4-door that I drove daily. One day I fell in love with an Audi GT coupe and in a moment of weakness sold all my Vairs. Never looked at one for 20 years. As a kid I a always dreamed of a 66 Corsa coupe with a 140 and a rear mounted antenna. Fast forward 20 years and I passed a late silver coupe. I turned around and spoke to the owner. He was on his way to a Corvair show in Helen GA. I jumped back into to the car and told my wife we should just go to Helen for the weekend. My wife is adventurous and agreed. I got hooked all over again. We returned home and by coincidence our dishwasher went out. I priced a new one and loaded my wallet with cash. The one I wanted was in Waynesville NC. On the way to pick it up my son and I stopped for lunch. I was reading the local adds and saw one that just said 66 Corvair 4spd with no price. Well I went on and picked up the dishwasher that by coincidence was quite cheaper than I had planned for. We were heading home and the Vair add was burning up my brain. So I decided to call. By coincidence they were less than a mile from where I stopped to make the call. I decided to meet with them. I came to the house and the owner told me that he knew nothing about Corvairs and was wanting to hot rod it by putting it on an S-10 frame. He got as far as putting the Vair and the S-10 in the garage side by side and then he suffered a massave stroke. He never got to even start the project. Well after much discussion they agreed to show me the car. He cracked the side door to his garage and my eyes instantly were fixed on the CORSA script on the right fender. As I walked in I noticed it had a rear mounted antenna. On further inspection I found the 140 emblem on the hood. I tried to hide my enthusiasm as we discussed price. He said I tell you what. I will give it to ya for what I put into to it. By another coincidence it was the amount I had left over from my dishwasher purchase. I decided it was only right to call my wife. She was hiking in the national forest and cell phone service is next to nothing. By coincedence she answered and said she would only be mad if I didn't bring it home. The rest is history. I have more coincidences about this car but will detail at a later date.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 07:26PM by Noel Felty.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 18, 2017 10:28PM

The day the last Corvair came off the line, the wire services sent a photo of #5999 being pushed off the line, with Willy in his trademark bowler hat leading the charge. In every edition I've seen, the picture is printed correctly, EXCEPT for my local paper, which oddly printed it mirror-image backwards.

Jumping ahead, in '71 I bought my third Corvair, a '67 convert, which I still have. I picked it up Easter weekend. The first CORSA convention was that summer, and since the engine padding looked a little ratty, I pulled it out and ordered new parts. The left side and lid came in, but the right side was freshly discontinued. So I ordered one for a '68-9. It came in. But because the side light notch would show, I never installed it, and stored the part away in its cardboard box.

Fast forward ten years. To make the story short, I had just bought #5999 through a series of coincidences too long to list here. (Remember the backwards photo?) It had been wrecked in the right rear, and the body shop forgot to install a replacement engine pad. It just so happened that I still had the correct right side NOS pad still squirreled away. eye popping smiley It was like I was meant to own that car!

The unfortunate part of this is that a full set of NOS engine padding for it was lost when CORSA lost the Virginia museum building and had to move the CPF collection out of its first home.

Below is a photo of #5999 from my personal collection.

-Mark

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 19, 2017 06:55AM

I got a bunch of parts from my buddy Fran in Minneapolis last year including 5 60 full fin cylinders. He vaguely remembered bringing one to a Corvair Minnesota meeting for show and tell... Last week a fellow brough me a 140 engine from Ontario with some extra parts, among them a lone 60 cylinder.
Many years ago I got a NOS 140 head from my buddy Ray in Minneapolis. A few years after that I got another NOS head, same numbers from a fellow in Michigan. I mean how many NOS 140 heads are you running into these days.
A fellow in Minneapolis brought me a 140 PG engine for use in a Thomas Crowne Affair clone Meyers Manx, said he got it in Wisconsin off Craigslist. Some time later I answered an ad here from a fellow in Wisconsin with a 140 Powerglide and differential. When I picked it up he said that he had sold the engine to a dude in Minneapolis for a dune buggy project. They are both here now and the torque convertor will be removed from the engine for VW conversion and reunited with the PG.
It's a little different from where this thread has been going but Corvair coincidences just the same. Are there big coincidences and small coincidences or are they all just coincidences?
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: May 19, 2017 09:13AM

Two and a half years ago I was not into Corvairs at all. I had one in the 70's but traded it to my brother in law for some labor. In 2015 I was diagnosed with end stage renal disease. Kidneys crapped out completely. I was a little depressed with the realization that I would have to start dialysis and likely have to retire. After 50 years for working, it's hard to jump to zero.

On a whim, I decided to go to a car show that the local Corsa club put on. I was a little out of place with no Corvair but I struck up conversations with some of the owners. I hit it off with one particular fellow, Bob Slusher, who drove a Rampside. If you don't know Bob, he is not really open about himself and neither am I so this was an unusual thing for us both. After an hour we both needed to sit down and started talking. I told him about my car from the 70's and that I had always wanted to race it. By this time, I had shared my health issue and my depression about giving up most of my time to it. I was pretty private about it so talking about it was unusual. In a surprising turn of openness he told me about his major injury and how he used the time to restore his Corvair. He suggested it was good therapy for the mind and imagination. He offered to help me build my car and race it. Advice, not work but he could give me everything I needed to know to build a race car.

That chance meeting turned into a friendship and mentorship that continues today. The build has given me something to focus on besides my health problems and really made a difference in my quality of life. Plus I will get to race my car next year! It also led me to this forum where I get to know people who share my hobby. Now I have three Corvairs and my 66 race car is ready to go out for paint and body. This hobby has filled my life and I have that chance meeting to thank for it. A coincidence that I happened to meet the one person at that event who raced Corvairs? Bob didn't go to Club meetings so I might never have met him if either of us had skipped that event.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: May 20, 2017 07:17AM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I built a 140 engine for a car in high school when
> I was 12, got hit by a drunk driver when I was 17
> and totaled the car, Dad sold the drive train to a
> guy, about 10 years ago I found a Corsa in a field
> about a mile away from my house, found the owner,
> he told me the story of my dad putting the engine
> in his car, sure enough it was the one I built at
> 12, still running, I bought the car.

I also have a pice of that car on my Convertible!

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1961 Lakewood, 1964 Rampside
Facebook Groups:
Corvair Racers [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Owners Group [www.facebook.com]
Corvair Trader [www.facebook.com]
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Posted by: 140Vair ()
Date: May 20, 2017 12:16PM

My Corvair (Charles) was originally delivered to its original owner (Charles Manos) at Mel Smith Chevrolet in San Luis Obispo, California. It now resides in the Sacramento, California area. After many moons, it will be driving back through San Luis Obispo in June on the way to Central Coast Corsa's Vairfest in Arroyo Grande.

"Charles" 68, Monza, 95, PG #7732, built 3rd wk of 01/68
Classic Corvairs of River City (Sacramento, CA)

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: May 20, 2017 07:34PM

I'm impressed that Dave was in high

school at 12.

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: May 20, 2017 07:54PM

I was looking for a 66 Corsa 140 4 speed. I saw one being sold at an estate sale with on line bidding.I contacted the auctioneer and told him of my interest. I told him if i won the car i would give his two young kids each a wells fargo stuffed pony. He said that was really cool because he cared for horses by trade. I was bidding on it on line and and bid up to the amount of money i had to spend and my computer lost connection. When i reconnected i saw that another bidder out bid me by $3k. I then found one on E-BAY at no reserve. I bid up to my limit and just before the auction closed the seller ended the Auction so i did not win. I was bummed. A week later the auctioneer from the estate auction called me to see if i was still interested in the corsa i had bid on. I told him yes but at my max bid not the other guy's bid. The auctioneer told me that the high bidder did not show up to pick up the car and he would talk to the family. The family said ok and they shipped the car to me even before i paid for it. It rolled up to my work place and it was just as promised . I paid the auctioneer and sent him the two stuffed ponies.

jeff

66 Corsa 140 4 spd
Houston, Tx

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 20, 2017 07:57PM

That's a good story, Jeff! thumbs up

Posted by: monza67 ()
Date: May 20, 2017 08:13PM

Back in about 1970, my brother and dad rebuilt a 1963 Corvair powerglide convertible while my brother was in college. They overhauled the engine and repainted the body. When finished, they put it up for sale and a guy wanted to trade his low mileage 64 Corvair powerglide coupe for it, plus some cash. He needed a different car because his Corvair powerglide wouldn't shift out of low gear. The trade was made and Dad pulled the pan on the powerglide that wouldn't shift and found an e clip in the pan. Reinstalled the e clip in the proper location and it shifted properly. A couple of years later, my brother was looking for a Corvair and found a 63 Corvair powerglide convertible. The powerglide wouldn't shift out of low. We went to look at the car and it was the one that my Dad and brother had rebuilt. It was still in nice shape, except wouldn't shift out of low. Got it home, pulled the pan and found the e clip in the powerglide pan. Reinstalled it and it worked properly. Not sure what he was doing to get the e clip to pop off, but he did it to at least two of his cars.
Chuck P.
Davenport, IA

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.