home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LM convertible trim
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: May 16, 2017 11:34AM

My LM convertible has a stainless strip around the back of the top. It has several screw-in buttons to snap the cover onto. Those match up with holes in the body and are no problem. There are a bunch of other buttons that attach to that strip, but are installed some other way.
I don't know how to do that.
Any good pointers on how to get it right? I have the buttons.
Advice would be welcome. As would be someone who can do that for a fee.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM convertible trim
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 16, 2017 12:53PM

It has been many years since I owned a Corvair Convertible but if memory serves, the only snaps that are intended to come loose from the trim are the ones with the screws that secure the trim to the body.

The rest of the snaps were probably what was referred to as "NSS" (Not Services Separately). I believe they were adhered by a spot weld or some other method and those snaps were not intended to come off.

My suggestion would be to drill an 1/8" hole in both the center of your loose snaps and the corresponding location on the trim and pop rivet them into place.

The other option would be to get the correct size phillips head sheet metal screws and use them to secure the loose snaps just as you are doing with the other ones.

While neither method would be "Concours Correct", both would do the job and only anal retentive people like me might ever notice it.

Of course the other choice would be to find a replacement piece of trim but it might be a bit more difficult these days then it was years ago.

Another option is to look at the Clark's Catalog on page 294 about the middle of the page. The have reproduction snaps, individually or in sets with the tool for installation.

[www.corvair.com] Part number C5722L: TOP BOOT TRIM SNAP SET-65-69 INCLUDES SNAPS,1 EXTRA,INSTALL TOOL,INSTR,DRILL BIT

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Re: LM convertible trim
Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: May 16, 2017 03:29PM

The other, non screw snaps are riveted to the trim. Clarks sells the rivets and the tools to install them.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.