home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
If you don't like what others do...do it yourself!
Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: May 16, 2017 04:30AM

So sick of problems with the vair heads I could go out and purchase my own guide and seat machine. Matter of fact I believe I just did! A Winona Van Norman PH2000 with tooling out of Wisconsin. Don't have it yet but should be here in a couple of weeks. I've also purchased a flywheel grinder and for doing pressure plates. I also purchased a horizontal balance frame for balancing flywheel/ pressure plates and may give crankshafts a try once I get the bobs. Some learning to do on crankshafts but the other stuff is pretty straight forward.

I've got so tired of trying to find shops I trusted and after too many problems caused by others (and maybe a couple by me) I'm giving in and taking total responsibility for work done on Snowball. The straw that broke the camel's back was the hack job on the heads some of you may remember. After pondering those junk heads I will be building my own and living with the results. Being a retired tool maker with a mostly full shop I should be able to do most everything myself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you don't like what others do...do it yourself!
Posted by: momach ()
Date: May 16, 2017 05:12AM

Go Max, GO! And, that is how quality gets pushed upward. You've known the demands of industry, being a tool maker. If you can do better, you better do it!

Steve , on the wet side of Washington State

one too many cars,(maybe)

1962 Buick Skylark
1964 Monza Spyder Coupe
1965 Corsa vintage race
1966 Corsa
1967 Datsun 2000 roadster

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: May 16, 2017 06:01AM

Thought you had some high dollar heads from A reputable shop?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: May 16, 2017 06:45AM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thought you had some high dollar heads from A reputable shop?

[corvaircenter.com]

-Scott V.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 16, 2017 07:00AM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thought you had some high dollar heads from A
> reputable shop?

Dave, To refresh yours and others memory, here's some pics of those high dollar heads done at a reputable shop.

[corvaircenter.com]

MAX, Once you get set up and have a few pair under your belt. I have some headwork that could help you recoup some of your equipment costs. I may even have a few junk cores to practice on. Let me know.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 16, 2017 09:10AM

Now I know why Chevy and Ford old car folks have given up on machine shops and buy new "crate" engines to install.

There is a reputable Corvair head shop in Inglewood, CA. called Engine Machine Service (L.A. are). Only one fellow there does the Corvair work. He's been doing heads for many years for the local Corvair shops and nobody I talked with had a complaint about his work.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 06:07PM

Sounds like a side business. Crate Heads!!smileys with beer

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: vwbusman66 ()
Date: May 16, 2017 06:21PM

Max, when you're ready, I have a set of heads for you.
James

-------------
James Keller
Kingsville, MD (21087)
Currently Corvair-less but on the hunt

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: May 17, 2017 03:45AM

Now looking for a nitrogen generator, dewer, freezer, etc. Will be dropping the seats into the nitrogen then into the heated heads to get a good .007" shrink fit on deep seats. Anyone know of any nitrogen holding or generating eqpt available?

Also will be wanting feedback on the best seat and valve combination. The "Killer Bee" Copper-Infiltrated Valve Seat Inserts are a subject of interest anyone with experience with these?

[www.dura-bondbearing.com]

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: May 17, 2017 05:35AM

Hello Max,
For nitrogen, first talk to you local gas supplier. They supply LN2 to hospitals, physician offices, universities, etc. all the time. I would simply get a dewar and call a couple of days in advance to have it filled. A styrofoam container could also be doubled up with extra insulation and work almost as well.
Have you also considered dry ice? You can make it on demand with a simple apparatus that fits on a compressed liquid CO2 bottle.

[corvaircenter.com]
Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: May 17, 2017 05:48AM

A LIN generator would be expensive and take a lot of energy. It is about -320 much colder than CO2. Check the smallest Dewar they offer. If it's too Big you can buy one on line and have them refill it. If there is an Airgas in your town you can start there.

Will
Northern California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.