home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clicking noise '65 PG
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 15, 2017 07:51PM

Could anyone help diagnose a problem I've noticed with my stock '65 PG 110?

When driving, the back end seems a little squirrelly. There was nothing very obvious other than multiple worn rubber bushings.

Here's what does concern me:
I put it on a lift and rotated the rear tires individually.
There is a slow clicking sound coming from the differential. It is only slightly low on fluid (which looks very clean).
Does this sound like the differential is toast or is that sound normal?
Visually from the rear, the bottoms of the engine and transmission look aligned, but the differential looks slightly askew with the passenger side a little higher.
Maybe that's how it is supposed to be, but I never noticed it before...

I planned on driving it to Ft. Wayne, IN next week, but I am second-guessing that idea now.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clicking noise '65 PG
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 15, 2017 07:54PM

I have heard the gov make a clicking noise when rotating rear wheels.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 15, 2017 08:10PM

I was pretty sure that the sound was coming from the differential Steve, but I will definitely re-check tomorrow and see if it's from the governor. I haven't had any transmission problems with this car (so far).
If it is from the governor, it that something to be disturbed about?

I've put about 25,000 miles on it in the last 6 years, and I believe it still has less than 100K.

So.... Would I be foolish to drive the car on the 425 mile round trip?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 15, 2017 08:18PM

I my thinking the governor is close enough to the diff that the noise source is difficult to easily pinpoint. If lube is correct inside diff I doubt anything to do with spider/axle gears would make a click.

I suppose a worn/loose inner U joint could click. You can watch the movement of a worn U joint. Good luck figuring it out.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 16, 2017 12:16AM

Vaguely recall a slight / light clicking noise rotating rear tires on PG when wheels off ground - years ago.

Never attempted to find source - always assumed it was associated with pumps / gears in PG.

PGs are pretty bullet proof unless you run them low on fluid.

RE U-joints - as Steve Goodman stated, if really worn (needle bearings turned to dust?), you can see movement (flashlight). If the needle bearings have turned to dust / u-joint is loose, you should get a thunk when you put it in gear - at least I did.

In my experience, U-joints last about 70,000 miles - at least the ones I have replaced at that mileage had light grooves in the bearing surface (even greaseable U-joints).

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: May 16, 2017 05:45AM

Every PG I ever had makes a slight sound when the car is up and you rotate the wheels. The best way to describe the sound is a slight squishing sound. If it is a standard that's another story.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 16, 2017 08:06AM

I had U-joint problem on a Kaiser a clicking sound,but clicked only under load. A few pumps of grease would stop the clicks for a short time. I changed the joints and all was well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.