home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Drivetrain thoughts and recomendations
Posted by: briand ()
Date: May 13, 2017 01:46PM

I just removed the power pak in the ratty 63 convert to replace the front and rear mains. Also swapping out the 64 differential for a 63. Opinions wanted...this is going to become my daily driver again. I have a 3.55 dif and a 3.27 dif to choose from upon reinstalling. I drive 60 miles a day to work round trip. I averaged 23 24 MPH with the 3.55 in it now, and I'm not nice to it. The engine is only an 80 HP but so much fun to wind it out, very peppy for only an 80. Not concerned with mph but more for performance, so do I keep it a 3.55?Also going to swap the early fan for a mag fan. Has a solid steel fly wheel, but I also can put in stock bolted lighter flywheel, would that help with performance? I am currently putting together a correct 102 but it will be awhile as the new house is soaking up finances. Any thoughts or recomendations appreciated
Brian

Brian Dowdy
Orland, CA
66 coupe 110 4sp, 65 coupe 110 PG Evening Orchid P-P (been on 3 year hiatus ), 65 coupe 110 PG, 65 Monza 140 4 sp coupe tele wheel Orchid P-P, 65 Monza 140 auto convert w/ power top,Crocus Yellow, 65 Corsa turbo convert, '65 Corsa 140 4 sp coupe, 64 Spyder convert,64 Greenbrier 8 door, 63 6 door Greenbrier, 63 convert 4 sp (Ratty), 63 coupe, 63 coupe w/spyder running gear(becoming a parts car), 62 4 door, 61 Lakewood 500, 61 Lakewood 700
some of my work---> [photobucket.com] [www.hotrod.com] [www.hotrod.com] [www.lowrider.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drivetrain thoughts and recomendations
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 13, 2017 01:51PM

Stay with 3.55's with the 80 hp..

Lighter the FW better accel. Heavier FW holds speed on hills better, better low rpm power.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 14, 2017 08:45AM

The only thing I don,t like about 3.55's is I'm always trying to grab 5th gear! I don't go to the mountains much with it so the flywheel doesn't really mean to much. I installed it as soon as I got the car (original had loose rivets) and never have driven it with a stock flywheel. I like the way it ran but maybe I'll just try a stock setup to see the difference.

Brian Dowdy
Orland, CA
66 coupe 110 4sp, 65 coupe 110 PG Evening Orchid P-P (been on 3 year hiatus ), 65 coupe 110 PG, 65 Monza 140 4 sp coupe tele wheel Orchid P-P, 65 Monza 140 auto convert w/ power top,Crocus Yellow, 65 Corsa turbo convert, '65 Corsa 140 4 sp coupe, 64 Spyder convert,64 Greenbrier 8 door, 63 6 door Greenbrier, 63 convert 4 sp (Ratty), 63 coupe, 63 coupe w/spyder running gear(becoming a parts car), 62 4 door, 61 Lakewood 500, 61 Lakewood 700
some of my work---> [photobucket.com] [www.hotrod.com] [www.hotrod.com] [www.lowrider.com]

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 14, 2017 10:58AM

The only real reason to have a lighter flywheel (in my opinion) is if you intend to drive the car in autocross like conditions quite a bit.

If this is to be a daily driver for the most part, a stock weight flywheel should do just fine.

If you intend on a drag racing type of usage, the heavier than stock flywheel would work out better. JMO

If most of your driving is going to be highway miles on relatively level terrain, then the 3:27 ratio might be a better option.

If most of your driving is at speeds under 60 MPH in an environment of stop and go traffic with a fair number of hills, then the 3:55 ratio might be a better option.

Another option might be to keep the 3:55 ratio and experiment with rear tires that are a little taller. The right size tire might give you a compromise you can live with.confused smiley

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: May 14, 2017 09:56PM

I didn't mind the 3.55 but always thought I needed one more gear. I'm used to V8's. I put just about 17000 miles on the ratty in about a year and a half when I first got it and loved every minute of it! Alot of out of town trips to Bay area and every day driving. It was turning about 38-3900 RPM at 70 MPH and I was always cringing but I got used to it. I am looking at new wheels and tires that will be taller and that will help. I will not be doing autocross, This will be a driver again..to and from work and driving occasionally to town (about 60 mile round trip) so I am trying to make it the best of both worlds..a little performance but also reliable.

Brian Dowdy
Orland, CA

Posted by: curt ()
Date: May 15, 2017 06:47AM

My 1969 PG 95 HP has a 3.55, it ran fine in Oklahoma; yes, Oklahoma has big hills. The 3.27 will slow pick up, and the 3.27 will be felt negatively on hills . I had a 1949 Kaiser with overdrive and the original non overdrive rear end.( same effect as going from a 3.55 to a 3.27 with a Corvair) Car was an excellent interstate runner; pick in traffic was noticeably slower in particular with an up hill grade. Over drive gave me 5 use able gears; OD made a flat head 6 six an excellent car at todays speeds.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 16, 2017 10:54AM

I'm surprised nobody has advised you to NOT to use a solid flywheel. The GM bolted three piece flywheel was designed to dampen crankshaft flexing. While and 80HP engine is not as prone to this problem - ALL Corvair engines with manual transmissions had the three piece flywheel. The only downside is the rivets came loose. Properly rebuilt they work fine.

The solid steel flywheels are associated with premature crankshaft failures.

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:44AM

What MATT and 66vairman said!! Dale Bolted Flywheel -or- a bolted flywheel done to the same standard of Quality as a Dale Bolted Flywheel.

If you wanna ride all over town without a frown, you'll wanna get Brown.
EFI and dis for the best possible Corvair motoring experience, coast to coast from sea to shining sea, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge.....anywhere you wanna go....TROUBLE FREE.....you can even go to ROCHESTER (the great city, not the awful Corvair carbs), maybe on to BUFFALO and across the border to TORONTO if you want to.
distributorless ignition and electronic fuel injection are probably the best improvements that one can choose to make to any Corvair.
Fun Fun Fun now that the Rochesters were thrown away (into the garbage can..)

Date: May 23, 2017 06:57PM

Busy couple of weeks with life getting in the way of me working on Ratty but last weekend separated the trans and diff and opened up the diff thinking I'd find mass damage but the ring and pinion are perfect. Turns out I believe the solid flywheel (as you all mentioned) was starting to eat the front pinion bearing..is not smooth when rotated... kind of noisy but no metal in the differential. Also noticed the pilot bushing was slightly enlarged. So now to build a bolted flywheel, balance and reinstall. Oh, also blasted and painted all the engine tin. Still have to do the lower T shrouds though.

Brian Dowdy
Orland, CA

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: May 23, 2017 07:41PM

j3m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you wanna ride all over town without a frown,
> you'll wanna get Brown.

i think im going to vomit all over my ipad!

j3m do you even own a vair? you dont own anything w/a brown on it so what do you really know about that?

if you owned something than we would take what you say w/less puking.......but still.........enough is enough.

try to say on post/on topic..........i know its really hard for you........but pls.....try.

i think your really hurting all the good work brown has done.........

-Scott V.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 23, 2017 08:26PM

One item I have used in manual trans Corvairs is a spring loaded clutch disc. It makes shifting that much smoother.

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.