home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Original Parts Group "Corvair Catalog" coming soon.
Posted by: Mel ()
Date: May 11, 2017 06:01AM

If Clarks doesn't reproduce a particular Corvair part it will NEVER be made...

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pulsar ()
Date: May 11, 2017 06:54AM

OPG does not "make" anything. They have no production facilities.
They buy already available parts and/or contract to have parts made.

Brad Taylor
Glendora, CA
1966 Monza (Corsa clone)

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: May 11, 2017 08:34AM

Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Clarks doesn't reproduce a particular Corvair
> part it will NEVER be made...

...yea.........like the rampside latches......the fc door mirrors....& other parts that the *little guys* have made.

if clarks didnt purchase these parts from the little guys........good chance these parts wouldnt be made.

w/o clarks lots of parts we have........we wouldnt have.

-Scott V.

Posted by: ralph65corsa ()
Date: May 11, 2017 08:46AM

OPG is bigger than Clarks. Clarks simply uses the same existing manufacturers that many of the aftermarket sellers do. OPG has extensive resources overseas and Clarks has only a percentage of that same capability. OPG isn't interested in buying Clarks since they already use and/or dominate the same suppliers as Clarks does. For instance with a purchase order OPG can send an order to Energy Suspension and have every Corvair bushing reproduced. They don't need Clarks for that. Clark's uses many "Corvair hobbyist" as suppliers because of the low capital investment required.
OPG can create stamping dies for Corvair door panels and punch them out on the same line as they currently produce Camaro, Chevelle or any other door panels they currently make. Same with carpets, headliners and seat covers. They don't need Clarks for any of that. Same with a ton of other parts. OPG is already producing thousands of parts that are the same as Corvair and many others they can do quite easily using the same channels, materials and manufacturing they currently have i place. I applaud their efforts since having only one supplier is never a good thing. Just like increasing Corvair values we should welcome the entry of new support and the promotion of the Corvair.

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: May 11, 2017 10:02AM

I probably won't be needing it by November, but I'd like to have it anyway.
I do have to say that OPG was most helpful when I picked up the '59 Cadillac for a friend in 2010. I got enough useful stuff from them that I was able to drive it back 2400 miles from OR to MN. He has used it since then too, and is pleased with their service. That car is now fully restored and a real work of art.
Having another player in the Corvair parts industry will work just fine.
But meanwhile, I've spent well over $5k with Clark's, and I'm pleased with them to this point.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: May 11, 2017 10:03AM

OPG will soon find out Corvair people don't like to spend $$$$$$ grinning smiley

Posted by: WCcorsa ()
Date: May 11, 2017 11:05AM

MEL said: "OPG will soon find out Corvair people don't like to spend $$$$$$"

OPG will find out the hard way.

Get the catalog while you can it may become a collectors item.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 11, 2017 01:01PM

Here are some cut and pastes from another "Corvair Forum" which is where I stumbled across this topic to begin with. [www.corvairforum.com]

Please note the below are replies to the topic. If the below replies make no sense as they are, it might be necessary to go to the other forum and read the topic from the beginning. I just thought the replies might provide some insight.

Reply #1

"Re: OPG has a Corvair catalog coming soon

by dave t » Mon May 08, 2017 5:06 pm
I work for OPGI. I am doing all the research for the catalog. As of today, I have over 4000 parts identified. We have another list of parts we plan to reproduce. Parts that are not avalible as reproductions. My/our goal is to have a very complete catalog. Engine, suspension, interior & exterior along with some high performance. The catalog coming out in October will never be finished. We will continue to add parts as time goes on.
Go to OPGI.COM and register. You will automatically be on the mailing list when the catalog comes out."

Reply #2

"by dave t » Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 pm
I daily drive a 64 greenbrier. I would not want the wrong parts either. I have been very careful to get "real"corvair parts. My personal reputation along with OPGI's is on the line."

Reply #3

"by dave t » Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 pm
Chevell, Pontiac & olds crossover parts are being programmed for on line now. Corvair specific parts will be several months later. All catalog parts will also eventually be on line. Everything will be available in november"

Reply #4

"dave t » Mon May 08, 2017 6:37 pm
I/We are hoping that the catalog will spark more interest from other car guys for the little car that we all love. We are not out to take over the existing corvair vendors. We want to boost the corvair's popularity which will help everyone."

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 01:08PM by Caraholic4life.

Date: May 11, 2017 01:14PM

v8vair Wrote:
> I hope they do well,but clarks,Underground and the
> others will get my money. I dont need another
> advance auto parts counterperson to deal with.
> Mike

Hey,

Several years ago I resembled that remark grinning smiley.....when I actually worked for Advance Auto. Yes I held an ASE Auto Parts Certification and might have actually had a clue to what I was doing, unlike many who sell parts there these days.
Five years with the company was enough for me, I went back to supporting myself in another field especially since cars are a hobby with me, not a living.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: December 22, 2017 02:36PM

Just for the fun of it, I typed OPGI Corvair into my computer and came up with the following information.
It appears their online catalog is up and running [www.opgi.com] sort of.

I noticed they were claiming to have sheet metal available so I decided to see just what sheet metal they offer and found it t be floor pans.
[www.opgi.com]- ... dy-panels/
1965 Corvair Sheet Metal & Body Panels

With that said, I also see there appears to be some potential tall tales going on already in MY OPINION. eye rolling smiley

"Shop high quality 1965 Corvair sheet metal & body panels. Since 1982, we've sold thousands of our premium sheet metal & body panels to satisfied Corvair owners "

While it is nice that there is another avenue for parts for our vehicles, it is sad to see the integrity does not appear to be there. JMO

P.S.
I looked a little more at what the have to offer and there are at the moment, more ads listed for Corvair parts than actual parts listed. thumbs down

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 02:40PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: December 22, 2017 03:54PM

Well that 5 minutes wasted that you can't recoup. OPG not a vendor for the future for me.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 22, 2017 04:01PM

Huh? You are correct.
"1966 Corvair Mobile Electronics
Shop high quality 1966 Corvair mobile electronics. Since 1982, we've sold thousands of our premium mobile electronics to satisfied Corvair owners."
and if you click on it, . . . . . all you get is one item listing, Dynamat!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: December 22, 2017 04:15PM

This just looks like a cut and paste test job. It is just a boiler plate copy with the word "Corvair" substituted for the word "Chevelle".

Take a look under Chevelle/Malibu/Grand National/etc. You will find the same language there.

Personally, I don't see any attempt to lie or cheat here. Just a new supplier putting his online catalog together with some cut and past work.

Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: December 22, 2017 04:24PM

Give them a chance... getting a website up with thousands of parts is no easy feat and yes they will cut and paste. (I would have make hidden from general public while I worked on it).

Having more vendors is a plus for all of us....there no down side for us, the customer. Competition makes us stronger and also keeps the vendors in check. No one will force you to shop at OPG or even look at their webpage, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Lon's departure from the Corvair market will only increase prices and reduce quality in the long run, so I vote for more vendors and part makers.... its the American way.

Ted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 04:31PM by TedBrown.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: December 22, 2017 04:55PM

I have dealt with OPG for parts of my 67 GTO. I wasn't impressed with the quality of some of their parts. A lot of their "car specific" parts are generic parts, one size fits all. I don't think Clark's will need to be concerned. It's just like Eckler's. They now sell parts for a lot of other cars to include Porsche and Mercedes. When their part is the real deal, their price is high. Otherwise, again it's Chinese made generic crappy parts.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 22, 2017 06:03PM

I am not offended by the fact that they are doing a cut and paste job.
That is common sense to make the job much easier.
I just think it is absolutely STUPID to have it open to public access until it is done!
Would you open the doors to your brand new brick&mortar store, before you had stocked the shelves?
NO, that would just not make ANY sense.
And the same thing goes for a virtual store.
It is just plain laziness on the part of whomever is doing their site.
If I go there now and do not see anything worth sneezing at, why would I want to go back at a later time?
There is not page saying anything like,
"This website is under construction"
"Please come back soon"
or anything to make me think that there is going to be more later.
Unless they decided to join the forum and start an "Invitational" thread asking our members to come take a look at their new website, there is nothing to make me want to ever go back there again.

Oh, and John, there are 2 things wrong with this statement.
"Shop high quality 1966 Corvair mobile electronics. Since 1982, we've sold thousands of our premium mobile electronics to satisfied Corvair owners."
#1. Their only product listed, Dynamat,- does not contain ANY electronics in it at all.
and
#2. If they are just now branching into the Corvair field, then YES, they are LYING when they say "Since 1982, we've sold thousands of our premium mobile electronics to satisfied Corvair owners." Maybe they plan on "updating" the wording after they get done "cutting & pasting" but I have my doubts

You may not care, but in my world, integrity starts before we meet.
It is not something that you just "cut & paste" into your business when you get around to it.
If someone can not tell the truth in the small things, how can you ever trust them in the BIG things?

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: December 22, 2017 06:21PM

Did anyone actually look at which "floor pans" they have available? Pick your favorite year; good for a laugh. (As Mel suggested, seems to be an embarrassingly premature launching of Corvair store.)
Steve

Posted by: rotted65 ()
Date: December 24, 2017 06:29AM

I just went and looked and it seems that the Corvair link isn't available. Maybe they are stalking th8s thread.

69 monza 110 PG gone many years ago
65 corsa vert 4spd gone
New toy 66 monza vert 4spd

Date: December 24, 2017 06:55AM

rotted65 Wrote:
> I just went and looked and it seems that the
> Corvair link isn't available. Maybe they are
> stalking th8s thread.

I just looked and was able to see it.[www.opgi.com]

[www.opgi.com]

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: December 24, 2017 07:05AM

Anyone else thinking that perhaps OPGI is buying out Clarks? I mean the owners of Clarks are retirement age and it would make sense. Maybe the deal is taking longer to negotiate than OPGI anticipated. Doesn't seem to make sense for OPGI to jump into Corvairs when the market is pretty saturated and the customer base is slowly declining already. Just speculating.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 07:06AM by Nickshu.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.