Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Original Parts Group "Corvair Catalog" coming soon.
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 08, 2017 01:57PM

I saw this on another "Corvair Forum" and thought everyone here would want to see.

Original Parts Group is coming out with a Corvair Catalog

[www.opgi.com]

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 01:59PM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Original Parts Group "Corvair Catalog" coming soon.
Date: May 08, 2017 02:04PM

Completion is good for the hobby, IMHO, although I'm sure the other vendors are not to happy to see them enter the market.
I'll bet their first offerings will be about 10% of what Clark's Corvairs offers!

The OPGI catalog will probably be prettier, which will mean other vendors will have to improve theirs, eh?

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: SteveH ()
Date: May 08, 2017 02:05PM

I signed up for the catalog and gave them grief over REQUIRING you to say where you heard about them from and then NOT including an "other" or "website" option... silly humans.

Looks cool though!

CORSA Member #034095
SF Bay Area zip:94580

1965 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140hp 4speed
Built 9/15/64 #148 off the LOS line, #1448 for the year
1965 Corvair Corsa "Corsamatic" 140hp PG

Date: May 08, 2017 02:07PM

I think it would be cool if they were to approach vendors such as Clark's and offer to include items they already reproduce in their catalog.

It might be a way to free up some R&D Capitol for everyone involved and possibly get more parts produced.

I would love to see a full line of quality sheet metal in the coming years.

It appears that OPG is offering 1960-1969 Cars and F.C. in their catalog.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 02:08PM by Caraholic4life.

Date: May 08, 2017 02:16PM

I tried to edit my post to say they are offering parts for 1960-1969 cars and F.C. Vehicles multiple times on two different applications and got the 401 ERROR message about ten times.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: May 08, 2017 02:18PM

SteveH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I signed up for the catalog and gave them grief
> over REQUIRING you to say where you heard about
> them from and then NOT including an "other" or
> "website" option... silly humans.
>
>
> Looks cool though!

I also did the same thing. I told them where I saw it in the comments section and suggested they include the popular Corvair specific websites in their choices if they want a realistic return of information.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: May 08, 2017 03:24PM

Preordered mine, but just selected antique auto and was done with it.

It's a little late on needing much for my car, but I can hope that maybe they will have stuff no one else does, which I doubt.

But we will see!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: jhawk ()
Date: May 08, 2017 04:53PM

I wonder if they are just going to buy some parts from the same manufacturers Clark's buys from. Why do the leg work of finding manufacturers, helping them make a part, then marketing that part, when they can just let Clark's do all that and then just buy the parts from the manufacturer. Can a buyer (Clark's) forbid a manufacturer from selling to others?

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: May 08, 2017 06:02PM

Yup, just pre-ordered a catalog from OPG. Hopefully, their goods are 'Made In USA'.

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 08, 2017 06:04PM

jhawk Wrote:
> I wonder if they are just going to buy some parts
> from the same manufacturers Clark's buys from.
> Why do the leg work of finding manufacturers,
> helping them make a part, then marketing that
> part, when they can just let Clark's do all that
> and then just buy the parts from the manufacturer.
> Can a buyer (Clark's) forbid a manufacturer from
> selling to others?

That is an excellent inquiry.

A vendor can PAY for exclusive rights to a part. The Clark's adjustable Gabriel shocks are ONLY made for Clark's to sell (at least the last time I checked). I'm sure Clark's had to pay an upfront tooling fee and part of that was probably an exclusive right to sell them. It takes time to recoup tooling costs.

One thing NOT brought up was CUSTOMER SERVICE. Clark's has a reputation for outstanding customer service - something I'm willing to pay a premium for rather than deal with poor service. A cheaper part is no bargain if you have a problem that nobody will take care of.

I've also had great service from Jeff at California Corvair.

Posted by: WCcorsa ()
Date: May 08, 2017 06:46PM

A western supplier of quality factory reproduction door panels, seat covers, carpets, dashes and headliners would be very nice.

I would think many of the GM reproduction upholstery items they currently sell and manufacture use the same methods and materials as Corvair interior upholstery items.

It's just a matter of creating new dies and measurements.

Reproduced long parts like late engine lid or drip rail trim would be nice too since shipping adds up on "over size" parts from the east coast.

My Chevelle buddy uses OPG and says everything he has purchased in from China but is satisfactory.

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: May 09, 2017 07:25AM

Ordered mine the more the merrier

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 09, 2017 09:26AM

Lee
just selected antique auto and was done with it.

You get Antique Automobile? That's the magazine of the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America).

I have not seen an OPG ad for Corvairs in that magazine.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: May 09, 2017 03:37PM

Frank I don't receive their magazine. But eddieb and I talked about it last year.

Antique auto was listed in the list of sources they posted. I just selected it after looking at all of them and decided close enough, it is an antique auto after all. Playing word games, I suppose! I know it wasn't what they wanted, but they limit your choice and I just wanted the catalog. I did put in the comments "source not listed!"

Have a good evening!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: May 09, 2017 04:27PM

I like reading Corvair related catalogs.

jeff

66 Corsa 140 4 spd
Houston, Tx

Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: May 10, 2017 05:29PM

Guys and Gals,

Take a look at that cover claim: "World Largest In Stock Selection..."

The only one that can claim that is Clark's. You all know that. In order to make good on that claim is to repeat all of what Clarks has. There is NO WAY they can spool up with various needed tooling, supplier relationships, exclusive agreements, etc. to get to this point that fast.

I've been in the manufacturing business too long and can sense the difference between competitive entrants to market and purchasing of a business.

And...they are saying the catalog will be ready in November? The only way they can do this is two ways: brokering distribution agreements with Clark's for their parts and suppliers PLUS adding all the needed tooling and production and inventory of parts for a launch of this size in record time OR they are buying Clark's.

The fact that Clark's is only taking orders at the Convention and not bringing their usual selection is a red flag in my mind. The excuse I've heard was "Last years convention is too close to this years and we (Clarks) figure that everyone in that area got the parts they needed already". Seemed thin to me....

Folks, if this is true and they are selling to OPGI, I think we will see the thinning out of the parts available to us in the very near future. OPGI will very likely perform product line simplification and keep the "80"of what sells and discontinue the "20". this means we will lose access to key parts that will be ones that we all eventually need. And, yes, prices will go UP.

If there was some one to sell out to, OPGI makes the most sense, They already source and sell quality Chevy parts that are appropriate for Corvairs and...they have a person on staff that is a Corvair person that I know has a Rampside.

If Clark's steps up and says-hey, we are here to stay, then I stand corrected. The longer they stay silent and do not address this, the more we should be concerned that this possibility could become reality.

Date: May 10, 2017 08:18PM

RThompson Wrote:
> Guys and Gals,
>
> Take a look at that cover claim: "World Largest In
> Stock Selection..."
> ----------------------------------------------------
You are reading way too much into their blurb that appears on all their catalogs
I've got catalogs from OPGI.com for my el Camino, Riviera, etc.

They have been around awhile, and I'm sure that they have their pre-introduction work nearing completion to provide many parts that are common to GM and upholstery which again uses common colors thruout the 1960s.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 11, 2017 05:52AM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
> RThompson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Guys and Gals,
> >
> > Take a look at that cover claim: "World Largest
> In
> > Stock Selection..."
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
> --
> You are reading way too much into their blurb that
> appears on all their catalogs

I have to agree on this one. You're making a knee jerk reaction of " the sky is falling". I too can make the claim of having the world's largest in stock selection. Just not for your particular make, model or year. If indeed there was a slim chance that this would happen, the new owner would be a fool not to have a clearance sale on the "20" weak sellers, instead of eating the loss.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: May 11, 2017 05:58AM

A lot of the 67-69 interior items that are common to other Chevrolet (and GM) models comes from them already..
in my 69 I have used several things such as their molded seat backs, armrest pads(which were returned because they were terrible) and interior rear view mirror, seat hinge covers.
My suspicions is that they will not be reproducing anything Corvair specific but will put a catalog together of items they already make for other models that also happen to interchange/fit Corvairs.

Lee J

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: May 11, 2017 06:00AM

I hope they do well,but clarks,Underground and the others will get my money. I dont need another advance auto parts counterperson to deal with. Mike

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.