Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: May 11, 2017 10:36PM

Lots of possibilities -
The transverse packages can be tempting, but there are challenges -
The width means that axle shafts and suspension take some work.
Also, the engine tends to be right where a lot of structure is/will have been.
Of course, getting an engine/transaxle package means you don't have to worry about the 'Vair differential, etc. And you can have an automatic with more than two speeds.
As far as the Buick 3.8/GM 3800 - I have an '87 in mine - original motor - 30 yrs old, 200k, has been terribly overheated (no water in it at all!) a couple of times.
Still runs just fine!
I did have strange shutoff problems until I got rid of the last big factory connector between the engine and the computer.
It may not be bulletproof, but it has put up a damned good imitation!
And will still spin over 5500 going 1-2 (at 55+ mph)

But I am looking forward to getting my 3800 Series II supercharged in there!

Jay Maechtlen
El Monte, Ca
Yes, it started out in life as a 61 2door.
It has a custom fiberglass skin, and a transverse 3.8 Buick.


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: May 15, 2017 09:03PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd recommend a '95 or older Buick 3800 FWD
> powerpack in the back of an FC...
>
>
> OBD 1 and simple wiring. Cars have plenty of
> power and get close to 30 mpg on the Highway...
> few cooling problems compared to other cars..

Be aware of the GM 3.8/3800 plastic intake leak issues from the plastic degradation at EGR stovepipe... lots of head gasket swaps occurred when the intake was the problem, not the head gaskets.

bnc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: May 16, 2017 05:33AM

didget69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MattNall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd recommend a '95 or older Buick 3800 FWD
> > powerpack in the back of an FC...
> >
> >
> > OBD 1 and simple wiring. Cars have plenty
> of
> > power and get close to 30 mpg on the
> Highway...
> > few cooling problems compared to other cars..
>
> Be aware of the GM 3.8/3800 plastic intake leak
> issues from the plastic degradation at EGR
> stovepipe... lots of head gasket swaps occurred
> when the intake was the problem, not the head
> gaskets.
>
> bnc

That was only a problem on the naturally aspirated engines.
The supercharged engines do not have that problem.

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180/4 speed
1969 Monza convertible 140/4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 16, 2017 05:59AM

Call me fickle but I would not put a Ford engine in a Corvair or put a SBC in a 46 Ford. Other combinations would be possible but the Ford vs Chevy thing is too strong, perhaps my ancestors will grey it all up but I cannot. I get the stinkface like the dude in the picture above.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 08:30PM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> didget69 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MattNall Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I'd recommend a '95 or older Buick 3800 FWD
> > > powerpack in the back of an FC...
> > >
> > >
> > > OBD 1 and simple wiring. Cars have plenty
> > of
> > > power and get close to 30 mpg on the
> > Highway...
> > > few cooling problems compared to other
> cars..
> >
> > Be aware of the GM 3.8/3800 plastic intake leak
> > issues from the plastic degradation at EGR
> > stovepipe... lots of head gasket swaps occurred
> > when the intake was the problem, not the head
> > gaskets.
> >
> > bnc
>
> That was only a problem on the naturally aspirated
> engines.
> The supercharged engines do not have that problem.

How many people will swap in an SC3800?

bnc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: May 19, 2017 04:11AM

didget69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gnvair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > didget69 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > MattNall Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I'd recommend a '95 or older Buick 3800 FWD
>
> > > > powerpack in the back of an FC...
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > OBD 1 and simple wiring. Cars have
> plenty
> > > of
> > > > power and get close to 30 mpg on the
> > > Highway...
> > > > few cooling problems compared to other
> > cars..
> > >
> > > Be aware of the GM 3.8/3800 plastic intake
> leak
> > > issues from the plastic degradation at EGR
> > > stovepipe... lots of head gasket swaps
> occurred
> > > when the intake was the problem, not the head
> > > gaskets.
> > >
> > > bnc
> >
> > That was only a problem on the naturally
> aspirated
> > engines.
> > The supercharged engines do not have that
> problem.
>
> How many people will swap in an SC3800?
>
> bnc

It seems most will. There are already at least 3 supercharged 3800 swaps into Corvairs. The Series 1 L67 ranges from 205-225 horsepower stock. The Series 2 is 240 horsepowe. There is a Series 3 supercharged engine. It is the L32 and was rated at 260 horsepower. Why would anyone do this swap and not get as much power as they could?

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180/4 speed
1969 Monza convertible 140/4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: May 19, 2017 07:31AM

gnvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Why would anyone do this swap
> and not get as much power as they could?

Because they're cheap. smiling bouncing smiley

bnc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: V6 in Corvair
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: May 19, 2017 07:59AM

didget69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gnvair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Why would anyone do this swap
> > and not get as much power as they could?
>
> Because they're cheap. smiling bouncing smiley
>
> bnc


If you look around the price for the supercharged engine is typically the same as the naturally aspirated one.
If you ask the owners why they chose the supercharged one the would tell you because it was cheap winking smiley

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180/4 speed
1969 Monza convertible 140/4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.