home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Help identifying coil (Pertronix related)
Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: April 20, 2017 02:58PM

Currently going through the ignition system on the recently acquired '63 Monza.
Checked the distributor and found an Ignitor system installed (Red wire + Coil/ Blk wire - coil). Removed the coil to clean the terminals and wipe a few years of grime off. The coil has no markings other than -/+ and is plain black. Any know what brand or if this is OEM coil?

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help identifying coil (Pertronix related)
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 20, 2017 03:32PM

Generic replacement. Delco coils are stamped with a two or three digit number on the can and are molded "Delco" on top.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: April 20, 2017 04:19PM

Thank you.... Generic, yuk. eye rolling smiley I have a Bosch High Energy coil i'm going to slap in there. Its prettier so it must be better. thumbs up

Ken
'62 Spyder cpe - '63 Monza convertible
Florida

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 20, 2017 05:05PM

That Bosch "pretty" coil probably won't work well in a Corvair. The Bosch has a primary resistance of about 3.4 ohms for use in a non ballast ignition system like an old VW.

The Corvair has a ballast (resistance wire) of 1.8 ohms and used a coil with a primary resistance of about 1.3 ohms. (1.8 + 1.3 = 3.1 ohms).

Of course it's hard to say what was done to the ignition wiring in your car. I have repaired numerous ignition systems for buddies. It's one reason folks have so much trouble with the Petronix unit - mis matched components.

If the generic coil works, leave it alone. Most old style coils are now made by a few manufacturers that just slap on different labels for companies.

The Petronix Ignitor 1 was designed to work in the stock Corvair system. The Ignitor II is another story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 05:06PM by 66vairman.

Date: April 20, 2017 07:17PM

The Bosch coil is sold by Clarks and has the same application notes as the GM and aftermarket coils. Excerpt from catalog below - Bosch is #3. I will test with each one to confirm which works best with the ignition in currently in place.
Thanks.

Attachments:
Date: April 25, 2017 06:52AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...snipped...
> Of course it's hard to say what was done to the ignition wiring in your car. I have repaired
> numerous ignition systems for buddies. It's one reason folks have so much trouble with themPetronix unit - mis matched components.
>
> If the generic coil works, leave it alone. Most
...snipped...

I might be in Pertronix mis matched purgatory sad smiley - The existing wiring connections to the generic replacement coil and Ignitor module are below. There is no scenario (that I have found reading through previous posts) where these connections are correct. If the resistor wire is still in place, coil is OK but Ignitor is not getting 12v. If resistor wire has been tampered with/removed, the Ignitor is getting 12v but the coil is not.

Coil (-) Black wire to Ignitor.....Coil (+) Red wire to Ignitor AND Yellow wire from harness.

Getting my multi-meter and heading out to measure volts at the Yellow wire with ignition ON. Disconnecting Ignitor wires first so I don't fry it or me. thumbs up

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 25, 2017 10:26AM

Sorry to hear that. If all else fails find a good auto electrical person. You might say what area you are in to get some help here.

Keep in mind you will not see a voltage drop to the coil through the resistance wire unless the points (or electronic) switch is closed. The Petronix module does not tolerate being left in an on state (like points closed) for very long as it might be damaged. There is a procedure to check the wiring and resistnance, but I'm out of time and space here. Find someone with experience to lend a hand.

I'm always helping out Vair buddies with electrical problems and hopefully you'll find someone in you area to lend a hand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.