home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Does any cylinder typically run hotter then the others?
Posted by: DaveO90s4 ()
Date: April 20, 2017 03:32AM

Hello all,

I am thinking of adding an exhaust gas temp probe to my engine. Is there any one cylinder that runs hotter then any others on a 140 HP NA engine? If so I'd put the probe into that exhaust.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does any cylinder typically run hotter then the others?
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: April 20, 2017 03:53AM

#2 and #5 would have the potential to run hottest. #2 because loses cooling air at the oil cooler and #5 because it is by the fresh air hose.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Click for Warner Robins, GeorgiaForecast

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 20, 2017 04:30AM

In a Corvair racing application, the center cylinder typically runs the hottest as measured by a thermocouple under center of the head near the top of the cylinder. If that helps.
The center head spark plug seat also measures the hottest when using the common ring type thermocouple under the spark plug.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 20, 2017 08:38AM

dryenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a Corvair racing application, the center
> cylinder typically runs the hottest as measured by
> a thermocouple under center of the head near the
> top of the cylinder. If that helps.
> The center head spark plug seat also measures the
> hottest when using the common ring type
> thermocouple under the spark plug.

Correct. Flat six development indicated that was a problem vs. a flat four engine.

The #5 cylinder issue is assumed since that cylinder has a history of dropping valve seats, but I suspect it's because the fresh air hose gets old and leaks air. I've found nothing to indicate the #5 cylinder ran hotter if the air hose in intact.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: April 20, 2017 09:04AM

I always thought #5 cylinder tended to run hot because that is where the exhaust crossover merges making an accentuated heat area.
Doesn't apply to the 140 setup but that is a different issue. Combined with fresh air hose outlet as mentioned this could explain it, but I have no actual data for what I allege.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 20, 2017 09:14AM

You can get an inexpensive IR thermometer and check each cylinder yourself. May require removing some shroud pieces under the car but worth it if you want to get your own data. Personally, I tend to agree with Bob, #3 and #5 due to being between two other cylinders and the least airflow on the engine. Post if you get data.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: April 20, 2017 08:04PM

Thank you all for your replies. I've yet to instal the Corvair engine so am doing some stuff in preparation. It will be going into my 1975 Porsche 914/4 - and the original engine (matching numbers etc) can go in to long term storage.

Regards to all

Dave
Aus.

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: April 20, 2017 08:14PM

Hay dave090s4 ,

Welcome to the CCF I have a 914 with a 140 4 carb motor in it. A few other guys here have been around them a bunch like Steve Goodman. Good luck with yours!

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 20, 2017 09:25PM

DaveO90s4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all,
>
> I am thinking of adding an exhaust gas temp probe
> to my engine. Is there any one cylinder that runs
> hotter then any others on a 140 HP NA engine? If
> so I'd put the probe into that exhaust.
------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the CCF... Austria or Australia?

Exhaust gas temp will tell you whether you are lean or rich in fuel mixture.

You want Thermocouples on Cylinders # 3 and #4. Racers will tell you they run the hottest

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 21, 2017 03:17AM

Thanks for the input and welcome all.

Aus = Australia in my case, in South East Queensland.

Whilst I'm well aware of Corvairs I've never seen one. There probably are some, a couple, maybe one, in Australia, so a corvair-powered 914 will be an unusual beast here. It just seems like such a no-brainer of a way to get more power at relatively low price. Subaru repowers require radiators and body cutting. 911 repowers require more money to buy and then recondition. An SBC is juts too much of a hot rod option for my taste. So a Corvair seems a pretty sympathetic and sensible option.

My engine is a reverse rotation engine, so no need to flip the crown wheel or to drive everywhere backwards!! I plan on using the car's original 901 gearbox.

I am told this engine will fit with no body mods. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

DaveO

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 22, 2017 07:06PM

I know there is at least one. On Virtual Vairs, we have an Australian member in Melbourne. Carl has a RHD converted 1965 convertible. thumbs up

Carl also appears in the Corsa magazine from time to time.

Welcome aboard.smileys with beer

Add: also, a local Rampside was sold to a someone in Australia about 8 years ago.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 07:08PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: April 23, 2017 03:22AM

Dave,
rhysaccess and Oz Javelin
are all the way across Australia in PERTH western Australia.

see these:
[corvaircenter.com]

[corvaircenter.com]

Your fellow Aussie Corvair owners might be able to give you tips/insight into how they acquired theirs from the States and shipped it back to Oz , or if they didn't bring the car back from the States, they may have brought home Engines and other Corvair parts while on holiday in the States.

You should seriously think about Fuel Injecting your Corvair Engine that is gonna be planted in the 914.
The BROWN EFI / dis (distributorless ignition) BOLT ON kit works extremely well. teddbrown on this forum is the designer.

YOU WILL WANT TO efi your vair powered 914 EVEN IT MEANS CLOSELY COPYING the BROWN system or another of the efi adaptations that other Corvair owners have done.
You may want to do that because it makes a huge difference in driveability and overall reliability. The other Corvairs in the Land Down Under are still in Carbie-Land, but EFI and dis offer so many advantages.
If you ever want to bring a Corvair down to Australia, be certain to get the most rust free vehicle that you can find. motohead on this forum is located in the desert area of Calif
Others in those desert and Golden west areas like Phoenix Arizona, San Diego California, Las Vegas Nevada should be able to provide leads on decent rust free examples if you ever decide that you might want to get one from the States and ship it back. If you know any Aussies that are residing in those areas here in the US where the sun always shines and it almost never rains, that might help you.

Your question ..."Does any cylinder..."
It is worth reminding you, even if you probably already KNOW this: WHEN CHOOSING SPARK PLUGS FOR THE CORVAIR ENGINE, Choose Spark Plugs that are Applicable for the 1966 thru 1979 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE as they will be the proper heat range and fit for the Corvair engine. Do NOT Use a projected tip plug.
The regular BOSCH and regular NGK "Beetle" plugs work GREAT. The AUTOLITE 2656 plug is GREAT. (the Autolite 2656 is an aircooled motorcycle/motor-bike/and Aircooled VW Beetle application) Other AUTOLITE sparkplugs Do Not Work Well in the Corvair.
Platinum versions of the BOSCH and NGK "VW Beetle engine" plugs DO NOT WORK WELL. The Corvair engine does much better with the inexpensive regular plugs.

See the topics here on this forum about FAN BELT.
The GATES belt in the best one on the planet today.
Do Heed the Advice about NOT INSTALLING IT AS TIGHT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT...
Always carry a spare fan belt and one Quart bottle of engine oil, along with your tools, and jack.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 23, 2017 05:05AM

Here we go again.
Verbosity rules.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: April 24, 2017 03:15PM

Hello j3m,

Thanks for your extensive response.

The engine has zenith 40 TINS on it and I'm going to leave it as is. I want to be driving my 914 and not trying to get a fuel injection system working properly.

Also I'm not importing a Corvair car, and doubt I ever will. All I'm doing us importing an engine (I hope - if it ever leaves the US...)

Thanks for your advice re spark plugs - much appreciated.

Dave

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: April 25, 2017 12:02PM

...there's an EFI system available for Corvairs?

Wow! Sweet!

bnc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.