home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Question about turbo heat shields through the years
Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: April 19, 2017 06:15AM

I always thought there were 3 types of stainless turbo heat shields, but apparently there are at least 4?

I know that all the shields I've seen on LM's have the huge scalloped area to clear the spare tire (my guess is this is due to 14" wheels being an option in 65-66).

Identifying a '64 is obvious due to the extra piece of metal attached near the firewall, and the scallop shape is smaller than the LM and larger than the earliest ones.

I always thought 62-63 were the same, but I have 2 heat shields that don't fit into the above categories. I have what I've always thought was a 62-63 with the small scallop (smaller than the '64 shield). But I also have one with the same size scallop as the '64 shield but no extra metal piece near the firewall. I have checked pretty carefullly to see if it just came off or was removed, but I don't see any evidence of that.

My only assumption is that 62 & 63 were different from each other? Or was the extended shield on 64 units a mid-year change?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 06:16AM by bbakerga.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about turbo heat shields through the years
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: April 19, 2017 07:00AM

Yes 64 only was the heat shield "tail" down the back to protect the gear oil dipstick. My car is an early build 64 and has many 63 parts on it (as documented by the Stock Corvair Group on early build 64s). I have no way of knowing but the car seemed complete and all numbers match up for casting dates throughout the car. The heat shield that was on it when I got the car did not have a "tail". This could be due to being an early build 64, or someone could have changed it. Tough to say.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/US Navy Veteran
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 07:00AM by Nickshu.

Date: April 19, 2017 01:26PM

Nick, I saw the one in your engine repair/run video looks like the regular '64 from the front. So... is that a '63 shield on your early '64 build, or did the early '64 shield not have the tail?

Date: April 19, 2017 02:03PM

I don't know the answer to that. My car had a tail-less shield when I got it. Whether or not that was original as an early build 64 I don't know. It has a normal 64 shield with the tail on the car now.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: April 19, 2017 02:14PM

Was the spare tire scallop the same size as the on on your car now, or smaller?

Date: April 19, 2017 02:45PM

The two were identical except one had the "tail"

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 19, 2017 03:21PM

I have never heard of 14" tires being an option on Corvairs.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvaairRepair.com

Date: April 19, 2017 03:21PM

Kind of like me and my redneck cousin when we were kids.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 19, 2017 05:58PM

Agree with Jim B. I don't believe 14 inch wheels were ever available from the factory for Corvair cars.

Date: April 19, 2017 06:20PM

I could be wrong. I was told years ago during a concours judging that 14" were acceptible because hey we're available/optional.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: April 19, 2017 09:04PM

Like the "available" Yenko equipment, 14" wheels were installed by non-GM third parties. On topic, my former 9/63 '64 Spyder had the tailless heat shield also.
CRAWFORD

Posted by: jbyenko77 ()
Date: April 19, 2017 09:28PM

Hi
My first week of September build 64 spyder didn't have a heat shield tail , had a 63 horn button and 63 hubcaps
It's been in the family since new
Van Nuys/LA build

Jeff ballard
Camarillo ca

Date: April 20, 2017 05:07AM

I'm curious what '63 owners have on their cars vs '62. It could be that the small scallop was '62 only and the medium size scallop with no tail was '63.

I'm surprised this isn't more common knowledge considering all of the little details, changes and differences that this community is so acutely aware of.

Date: April 20, 2017 06:20AM

Wow. I guess my tail-less heat shield may have been factory after all. I think I sent it to Jeff at Cal Corvairs to trade for some other parts. I have a tail on mine now which is probably better anyhow...

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.