home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Replacement tires / Brand advice?
Posted by: jastranc ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:08PM

I currently have been using 215-60-14 on 14 inch Monte Carlo checker board rims on my 69 and plan on going to 195-70-14 as selection of 215s are very limited.I might add I have Flaming River quick box with Factory Quick arm so steering at stop is Little Heavy.
Anybody have any suggestions?I live in rural western Wisconsin and big box tire stores aren't near me.
My son suggested Hankook H 724 another is Vredestein Quatrac 5 both in 195-70-14.
Jim Stranc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 02:03PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacement tires / Brand advice?
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 18, 2017 04:35PM

Totally depends how/where you will be driving. For race, there are some great Hoosier slicks that are super sticky. For street and some weekend fun, like AutoX, Pirelli can't be beat. At least I don't think so. Lots of things in between. See what other ideas you get here. Please tell us more bout what you want to achieve.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: April 18, 2017 09:30PM

All brand new passenger car/light truck Tires are of High Quality Construction and Engineering. Sure, Michelin and Bridgestone are at the top in engineering the newest pioneering designs.
Tire design and quality control among every tire manufacturer is superb.
Sure, many just closely copy a recent, proven, Michelin design.
THERE IS TOO MUCH POTENTIAL LIABILTY for tire manufacturers to have a Firestone 500 fiasco or the "Explorer" nightmare of twenty years ago.
Say what you will, but one of the good things that the FEDERAL GOVERMENT has done over the past forty years is set strict minimum Tire Safety Standards, and serial numbers and the DOT # (date of manufacture) on every new Street Legal automobile tire.
YOU DON'T GET JUNK, no matter if you buy housebranded tires at Costco or Sams or Wal-Mart.
You may want read up on the latest annual CONSUMER REPORTS issue that discusses TIRES.
There are decisions that you'll need to make.
Depending on the specific tire configuration and varies slightly by brand SOME TIRES MAY BE LOUDER or Quieter (you did read that, right....LOUD as in more noisy or Quieter than normal-typical tire..)
THERE ARE slight trade-offs as longer mileage tires 50,000 mile, 60,000 mile, 80,000 mile tires VERSUS a softer compound tire that might be rated for a 35,000 mile to 40,000 mile tire.
ALL SEASON tread designs typically do a good job in the wet (rain) too.

EVEN the cheapest modern NEW no-name tire is superior to ANTIQUE Re-Production TIRES. Still, the folks like Coker and others, try to obtain the rights and molds to produce some of the highest quality (technology wise) designs of that long-ago ancient era. Yeah, those tires will be crap compared to the latest Michelin or Bridgestone designs, and they will be crap compared to no-name Costco, Wal-Mart tires, but they'll be as good as the best tire available new back in 1971 or 1972 for example. Still those antique REPRO tires are minimally acceptable for showcars and classic cars needing a specific tire for authenticity.
They are not the best choice for driving on expressways and interstates and for driving even in light rain, because MODERN Tire design is light-years better than the BEST of even thirty years ago! Still, they aren't dangerous, as were some of the typical average nylon bias ply tire of sixty years ago, would be classified today. No brakes and 4500 pound land yachts with those tires were once the norm and RETREADS also common were in use.
Thank goodness for the superior engineering that Michelin engineers have provided to the industry for many many decades.

****** Make Sure That Whatever TIRES that you do choose and GET are LESS than One YEAR from the DOT# Manufacturing Date.
-------You NEVER Want AGED or STALE Tires, thus you want FRESH Tires, so a RECENT date of Manufacture is Important, because even in the best of conditions, aging and degredation does indeed occur.
I'll say this, if you have any TIRES on any motor vehicle that you drive on highways/expressways/Interstates that are older than (8) eight years old from the DOT # date of manufacture, you are a ramblin' gamblin man. No matter what the tread life looks like, once a tire is (8) years old, it should be REPLACED if you ever drive that vehicle above 50 mph. Others might disagree, but there is research and evidence that supports the greater probability of a massive blowout at speed, especially in the hot Summer months.
Michelin's ad campaign of long ago went: "So Much Is Riding On Your Tires!"
In reality it is your connection to the road. Maybe in a Corvair or a Miata with a low center of gravity, a massive blowout won't be bad, but in a large SUV with a high center of gravity at Interstate speeds, though it isn't highly likely, it can Flip/Rollover. You don't wanna ever chance that.
TIRE QUALITY among all manufacturers is great.
Still, a high center of gravity in certain vehicles travelling 80 mph to 85 mph cannot be Solved by Tires as rational, prudent, safe driving by the human in the driver's seat is most important.

Today's tires are all quality, even the most basic no-name ones.
You get a high level of engineering and a quality tire that is more than adequate for driving at any speed that is within +30 beyond the posted Expressway/Interstate highway speeds.

Yes, some will have 'stickier' compounds, advanced tread designs that may or may not be beneficial for your type of driving habits.
Have a look back at the last Consumer Reports issue that covered passenger car/light truck tires. You might think that stuff is non-sense but Consumer Reports does a great job in its testing/analysis of automobile tires that you will find helpful in choosing the specific brand/model and price point of your next set of tires. Consumer Reports also does an annual or bi-annual Testing/Analysis of CAR BATTERIES which might be something of interest to anyone with a car that is more than three or four years old. This is getting off topic but they detail which batteries are best in NORTHERN (cold) areas and which are best in SOUTHERN (hot) states. Their tire analysis is similar too. It is good info, even if you aren't a big fan of Consumer Reports. Your local library probably has the issue that you'd need to see.

Posted by: jastranc ()
Date: April 19, 2017 07:24AM

I am looking for tire that will handle is spirited driving and good on tours .I find that many of everyday 195-70-14 are 70000 to 80000 mileage tires for that old mini van.You will find any number of ? names tires from ? where.Yes some are even made in USA.What I asking is tires that people are using that are recent purchase.
Thanks
Jim

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 19, 2017 08:30AM

Check out Toyo R888 from Tire rack

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 19, 2017 08:36AM

Kuhmo has some tires in this size that look interesting to me for a performance look and likely handling as well. Kuhmo makes a decent tire. Their Solus TA11 and KH17 lines have a tread pattern I would like and are marketed as performance tires. [tiresize.com] [tiresize.com]

For a more classic sporty look there are these Goodrich T/A Advantage [tiresize.com]

I have used both brands in the past with good service .

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984. Have personally restored 20 or more Vairs a number of them ground up.

Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: April 19, 2017 10:12AM

These are working well for me on the Spyder.

Solar 4XS 195/70/14 91S BLK SL All Season Performance Tires By Sumitomo

Ken
'62 Spyder cpe - '63 Monza convertible
Florida

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 19, 2017 10:33AM

The 195/70X14 is a little undersized. The 205/70X14 is the same as the old 7.00x13 diameter or circumference used on 66 and up.

The 195/70X14 will give the car more go off the line and the speedometer will read fast.

The 205/70X14 will result in a more accurate speedometer and a little lower RPM on the highway.

I have no trouble finding 205/70X14 tires - your choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.