home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Brake info
Posted by: westpismo ()
Date: April 18, 2017 12:09AM

When I purchased my 63 Monza, it turned out the brake shoes were not put on correctly (some wheels had two forward shoes, some had two rear shoes etc). So installed all wheels correctly and adjusted all brakes. But they still didn't feel great. So I have since replaced the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Lines seem good. The brakes certainly seem to work better better, but it's been a while since I have driven on non-power drum brakes. I just don't know how they should feel. They catch pretty well to slow down, but it takes a fair amount pressure on the pedal to come to a full stop at driving speeds. Is this how it the brakes should operate, or is there something else I should be fixing/replacing? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake info
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: April 18, 2017 05:32AM

I will guess that 'westpismo' is southern Calif? If so there are Corvair clubs plus shops around you. Join your nearest club and ask for a comparison by another owner. Run by one of the shops and ask for their opinion.

Good luck and welcome to CCF

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: April 18, 2017 05:48AM

westpismo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Lines seem good.

If by lines you're referring to the rubber brake lines, you really can't judge lines by appearance, they fail internally, usually by swelling and restricting flow of fluid. If there's any doubt change them out.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: April 18, 2017 06:36AM

I am also thinking that if you moved/rotated shoes from one drum to another, the shoes are out of "arc"

That is some drums have been recut more than others, and the shoes wear in to their respective drum. Then you moved some of them, and now they need to "reseat"

What is happening is some of the shoes are not making full contact with the drums now.

But I would replace the hoses for sure, like mentioned above.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: April 18, 2017 07:18AM

Vairs don't really like long life shoes as they are a harder compound and require more pressure than the less expensive softer shoes.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: westpismo ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:03PM

I judged the metal and rubber lines by the fact that, after installing the wheel cylinders, when bleeding the brakes (2 person) all lines showed good pressure and flow.
The notion that correcting the installation of the shoes (and adjusters etc btw) may have affected the contact of shoes and drums makes some sense, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 03:07PM by westpismo.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:35PM

You can also decrease effort by installing a Master cylinder for metallic brakes...it has a smaller bore and gives you more pedal power!

Standard is 1" bore

Factory Metallics got a 7/8" bore

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.