home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What the Heck’s Going On with Classic Cars?
Posted by: phill66 ()
Date: April 17, 2017 04:41PM

Interesting read; mostly pertains to classic car investments for those above my
pay grade:

[wolfstreet.com]

Had to laugh at one comment: "I think car collecting is an old persons game."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What the Heck’s Going On with Classic Cars?
Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: April 17, 2017 05:03PM

Peak prices were in 2015. That being said timing, alcohol and ego is everything. A prime car will bring big bucks.
More inventory/choices. Who's going to fill the older collectors shoes in the future? Money Laundering has an effect on high end cars and real estate prices as well.

jeff

66 Corsa 140 4 spd
Houston, Tx

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2017 05:08PM by Frogfinder.

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: April 17, 2017 05:24PM

There's some level of truth to the observation about car collecting being an old person's game.
People tend to want the cars they wanted when they were young and wanted cars. Was a time not so long ago when Model T&A (I just made that up) Fords were a big deal, and brought pretty big bucks. But then the owners and restorers died off, and the market for those dropped. Same thing for most other cars -- though the markets never disappear entirely, nevertheless you can see it disappear as the age cohort disappears.
I am most fond of the cars of the 60's, for example. I have about No real interest in cars from the 50's, and the only car from the 70's I ever really cared about owning was a Datsun Z. And that one is now gone.
Remember -- this is a general comment, and need not apply to every single individual out there. In order to collect cars, one has to have enough money to buy them, maybe even put them into running order, and most surprising of all actually restore them -- even if they are not perfectly stock.
Most young people under, say, 35 don't have that kind of money. Or they have wives who have Other Things to spend the money on. Kids come to mind.
But about when men (it's mostly but not always men) get to their late 40's or early 50's, they have enough money to start on a modest collection and have it grow over time. But most of those get sold off in their 70's.
So the lag in age cohort and car cohort runs to 40-50 years or so. Right now the 60's are in vogue, but that will end when most people who recall them fondly die off. Then the 70's cars will become sought after.
When I go to car group meetings, mostly what I see are gray hairs. The young people own One (1) "tuner" car and are busily dumping their money into that. Which is not collecting.
Now -- if we could only get some sort of rule that the specific power output of the sound system cannot exceed the specific output of the motor, that might be an improvement.smiling smiley

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 17, 2017 05:30PM

Just like the housing market.... but with out Gov. support!!

Collecting is an older persons game..... $$$ and Time to play...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Posted by: stiffneck ()
Date: April 17, 2017 07:17PM

I don't have any money to speak of.... but I do love old cars. Got to laugh as I am at that 50 yr mark and have three of the 60's cars.

They are all running and all will get love and attention over the years. I can only hope when the time comes my cars will go into the hands of somebody who loves them as I do.

You guy's ever feel like cars find YOU? Like they search out people that will take care of them?

I prefer to hear the engine running and how it sounds to beat box....

1963 VW Ragtop Bug 40hp
1964 Corvair 900 Vert 140hp
1966 Corvair 4-door 110hp

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: April 17, 2017 09:18PM

Our cars (and most from this era) are passing classic and entering antique. The car hobby is alive and well but it's moving on from 50s/60s/70s American iron and on to the 80s/90s most of which are imports as during that era American carmakers didn't make many cars worth being excited about. My local cars and coffee is full of young guys with "collector" cars from the 80s and early 90s, most of which are the European cars they had on a bedroom wall poster as a teenager... There's not a tri-five Chevy in sight.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/US Navy Veteran
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; Serpent Express 18' trailer; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: April 18, 2017 05:26AM

dhomuth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The young people own One (1)
> "tuner" car and are busily dumping their money
> into that. Which is not collecting.
>

Is it not collecting though? We have to foster those exact young people because they care about cars, they might not care about our cars (yet) but they will be our biggest ally in the future.

Also, we all started somewhere. I could imagine there is a handful (at least) of members from our dear Corvair community that had big inch engines in beater cars back in the day. When they grew up the money came back around and you buy what you wanted previously but couldn't afford.

You are just going to different group meetings than I (or they) are. there is a young car culture, but it functions and behaves differently. and that is NOT a bad thing.

P.S. I took your statements as "the sky is falling." I apologize if I misinterpreted.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: Demon-Xanth ()
Date: April 18, 2017 06:42AM

Car peaks match the generation of those near mid life. The people who lusted after T-buckets and 32 roadsters are mostly passed away. The ones craving '57 Chevys can't drive anymore. The '69 Camaro hunts are over. It seems like the next one is going to be trying to find unmolested Supras and 300ZXs.

Young people care about cars, just not their parent's dream cars.

'61 Monza 900, 3 speed. Roams the streets of soon to be Stafford, Va
Cars need to drive to be alive. One that never leaves the garage may be perfect, but dead.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: April 18, 2017 07:07AM

Most young people their whole life revolves around their phone, very sadsad smiley

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 07:18AM

As a 30 year old I am definitely the youngest person in my local Corvair club. Great guys, all very knowledgeable and more than willing to teach me. I think thats how all these car clubs should be. Willing to help and teach to if nothing else pass on the lobby. If these guys have a less than perfect spare car sell it to a young guy and help him with it if you can. People of my generation don't have jobs like a lot of guys before us..... to get a entry level job is a minor miracle because you need five years experience for anything and no one will give you experience. Pensions are extremely rare, most of us are buried in student loan debt and get a job paying $15 an hour if we're lucky. Back in the day you could get a good paying job out of college and a pension, good benefits and a pension. Now you have huge competition for entry level jobs that pay crap. Bottom line we don't have the money to spend on these cars. I got mine because it was a family car and a ton of people helped me on the way to get it on the road. For example i would be nowhere with my car if it's wasn't for Jim Brandberg. So if all these classic car guys would do what they can to pass the hobby along it would be huge in helping Corvairs survive. I have been lucky to have been helped a ton. There is a going to be a huge inventory of classic cars that young people can't afford coming......it's just the state of things.

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 18, 2017 08:45AM

"There is going to be a huge inventory off classic cars"....

I have been hearing that for 40 years. Luckily it is (probably) true and they seem more to trickle.

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: April 18, 2017 09:06AM

The sky is not falling. The car collecting hobby has primarily been an Old Guys' activity for the past thirty years anyway. Go to any show, and you'll see it clearly enough.
I have no particular problem with that. I am an Old Guy, and my "collection" has always been small but of surpassing high quality.
There was a brief time, perhaps 40 years ago, when I hung out with other old guys and had 6 Corvairs. But to be frank, the effort and expense -- particularly storage -- was too much for a young married couple to handle. When the marriage finally went south, and the cars may have had something to do with that -- the cars all got sold off.
Since then, I've had a number of interesting cars go through my shop and garage -- an E-type FHC Jaguar, a V-12 BMW 850i, a Euro-spec 635 CSi, the 280Z "Black Pearl" that I owned for 39 years and sold several months ago. But at no time was I "collecting" them to keep a bunch around. The first three mentioned were, once I got them going properly, not terribly interesting. Someone else could enjoy them more than I, and they were moved along.
The Datsun was the best driving car I ever owned, but after three or four years where there was nothing I could think of that would ever make it better, that story will now be continued by someone else as well.
The Corvair I have has a special interest to me. No one else will ever want it as much as I do. But as the sole special interest car I have, it is hardly a "collection" as the term is correctly used. It's just that it's That car. I don't want any other or more Corvairs. I'm not interested in having a stable of them.
I know and appreciate young people with their foreign "tuner" cars. I find the overpowering sound systems a tad much, and the idea of including video screen games in them is foreign to me. But it's not My car.
They seem, at this point, to forego having a "collection" though. Most of them just have the one car and modify it endlessly at great cost. Which is also fine.
I went to one of those meets several years ago with my Datsun, and my car won the trophy for the best Old School car there. The young people had mostly never seen one, much less a good one. It was older than they were!
The hobby is changing as the years pass. There will always be somewhat of a following for the triple nickel Chevy's, but it will lessen over time and those prices will not continue to increase.
I agree that the foreign cars will be considered Far more interesting than the domestics of the 80's. The real enthusiasts will probably migrate that direction. Hemmings today has an ad for a 1973 fully restored Gremlin for $32,500. It's a show winner.
But I doubt there will be anyone with a stable of Gremlins, much less Pacers. It will require something pretty unique for a car to be considered interesting. Happily, our Corvairs are likely to fulfill that role for another decade or so anyway. But in the fullness of time, no one will remember them from when they were on the market, and they too will stagnate as younger age cohorts change their focus.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: stiffneck ()
Date: April 18, 2017 09:12AM

I agree with the teaching idea of the hobby. It's one of the main reasons I wanted to join a corvair club. I have always worked on my VW's because I needed to. Either I needed the car to get from point A to B or I didn't want to hand over hard earned money to someone when I could do it myself.

I seem to have some free time on my hands and two beautiful corvairs just happened to fall into my lap. I could pour over the corvair manuals I purchased and spend hours reading this forum ( and I am and will ) but I think the YEARS of experience that some of these club members have is priceless.

My 15 yr old son Max and I are looking forward to learning about the Corvair, the history of the car and how to keep them running well. I live here is Sunny San Diego. Perfect for classic cars as daily drivers.

jon

1963 VW Ragtop Bug 40hp
1964 Corvair 900 Vert 140hp
1966 Corvair 4-door 110hp

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 18, 2017 11:20AM

I wish I had the group of people on this forum and in Corsa when I got my firt Corvair Corsa in 1973. It would have made a huge difference. Yet, I muddled through what I thought was a hot rod project. I would cruise Whittier boulevard and Bob's Big Boy in So Cal thinking I had the best car there. That's what passion does, it makes you want to work harder to make the car great. The first car show I went to in Oregon a few years back shocked me with the ages of the owners. They were all old, then I realized I was their age! I do think that collecting starts with wanting to make your car better. It doesn't always lead to a collection but it usually leads to a car lover and they seek out cars that were/are unique. Our Corvair is always going to be one of them. I watch auctions and wonder if the cubic inches increase the prices these days. It seem like HP really drives prices but then again, I can't afford any of them. My Corvairs are inexpensive and although parts are costly, there are a lot of people who share. I only hope this Forum survives. I say bring your Honda cars out but keep looking at others as well.

Rant Over,

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: April 18, 2017 11:39AM

Bob V and others,

IMO

America has changed and so has the Car Culture...we Americans are still in love with cars....but in a totally different environment...

In the 50-60's Your car made the Man / Woman off campus / work.

You dare not drive the "Family car" or some little wimpy mobile...even if it was your own... HP was king!

Today the "Wow" factor is driving your Dad's Tesla.... for the kids..

For the older, it's "look what I've got!" And Cruising is "Static", not driving around looking for a race or girls to get to ride in your car...even if you had a "steady" GF you wanted as many of her good looking friends riding with you.... or you made sure you had a 2 seater!

A good friend still today, was told to park his cute little showtime '39 Austin Bantam with 800cc Austin A40 engine AWAY from us at drive-ins...

When He and his Dad Finished a ragged '41 Willy's pickup with 389 Pontiac and 4.56 gear..... he was welcomed! And he understood! He also became quite the Lady's man!!

..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Posted by: Demon-Xanth ()
Date: April 18, 2017 11:56AM

This is basically the outcome when you have a culture both socially and legally that discourages any sort of spirited driving on roads and has outright "no cruising" laws for decades. To most people, this is what we look like:
[i.kinja-img.com]

The static culture exists because when you can't DRIVE your cars anywhere without forking over large amounts of cash, you might as well go for show and make your car look like a comic book. That's why I can respect the bosozoku style. When you stop looking at performance and start looking at something that would be found in a fantastic manga, they nail it. Sure, they can't enter a parking lot without breaking out the plywood ramps. But they got it.

And we just like this weird little economy car that was built for about a decade. That's our quirk. And I embrace it.

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob V and others,
>
> IMO
>
>
> America has changed and so has the Car
> Culture...we Americans are still in love with
> cars....but in a totally different environment...
>
>
> In the 50-60's Your car made the Man / Woman off
> campus / work.
>
> You dare not drive the "Family car" or some
> little wimpy mobile...even if it was your own...
> HP was king!
>
> Today the "Wow" factor is driving your Dad's
> Tesla.... for the kids..
>
> For the older, it's "look what I've got!" And
> Cruising is "Static", not driving around looking
> for a race or girls to get to ride in your
> car...even if you had a "steady" GF you wanted
> as many of her good looking friends riding with
> you.... or you made sure you had a 2 seater!
>
> A good friend still today, was told to park his
> cute little showtime '39 Austin Bantam with 800cc
> Austin A40 engine AWAY from us at drive-ins...
>
> When He and his Dad Finished a ragged '41 Willy's
> pickup with 389 Pontiac and 4.56 gear..... he was
> welcomed! And he understood! He also became
> quite the Lady's man!!

'61 Monza 900, 3 speed. Roams the streets of soon to be Stafford, Va
Cars need to drive to be alive. One that never leaves the garage may be perfect, but dead.

Date: April 18, 2017 12:16PM

Yet we have the fastest most powerful ever production cars today!

Commercial tout "spirited driving" and even Caddilac is now touting the fact that one of their cars does 200 mph!

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: April 18, 2017 01:33PM

I live in an over 55 community. There are 240 homes here and I'm the only one in the entire park who even thinks about much less owns a classic car. The people here think an antique car is a 2013 model. They buy a new plastic econo box every two years,drive it 2000 miles and trade it in. You would think there would be one person who "lusted" after a certain car when they were young and now that they can well afford one they would look for one. Yes the classic car world is changing. EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: April 18, 2017 04:32PM

Matt, good notes. I agree with most, if not all, of the posts on this subject. I have not thought about drive in's for a long time. You mentioning them just makes me sad they are gone. Great date nights.

The modern cars are so much faster than anything we had in the 60's and certainly the 70's. 500HP is not uncommon. Like eddieb said, even Cadillac has a 560HP car and it handles great.

Maybe we need to form an alliance with the Corvette guys and do events together. They are all older too and have the funds to own a 60's Vette today. Probably serve better food too because of that. Since we don't run in the same classes, we could even do track or AutoX events. Then again, I only know of a few racers up here in the Northwest. I love my local Corsa chapter but there are only a couple people who even care about racing. I am serious about this kind of thing. Maybe us real car lovers need to bolster our ranks with other early cars!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: April 18, 2017 05:01PM

Best post I've read in awhile...Seems everyone gave this serious thought I agree with Mel though about most of the kids are into their phones (Technology) and maybe aren't really into the 'Work on your own car' thing, I'll bet HALF have never lifted the hood to see what Daddy actually bought them...sad smiley
I, like most kids of the 60's, was told "You want a car?" "Go to work and buy it yourself!" smoking smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.