home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
alternator mount/ oil filler spout
Posted by: macutak ()
Date: April 15, 2017 05:20PM

I removed my alternator / fuel pump mount to install my new chromed out alternator with internal regulator. Looks nice, but I noticed some oil on top of the engine serial number afterwards and when I went to tighten down the bolts on the gasket to solve it, I noticed the top left bolt was not grabbing. When I backed it out I realized that these bolts are not all the same size and I must have shorted this one hole and I could see about 6 threads ripped out sitting on the end of the bolt I used.

so now I think I have to go to a gasket seal and then make sure I have the right bolts. Question is, what are the right bolt lengths for that mount and can I go longer for the one I ruined so I get enough threads to torque it down with the proper torque? Lastly, what is the proper torque? I do not think I could be the only one who has done this. I feel so stupid. This is for my 63 Rampside with a 102 HP car engine in it.

I'm almost done. I just need...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2017 05:23PM by macutak.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alternator mount/ oil filler spout
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: April 15, 2017 05:24PM

The 2 left bolts are longer. You can see why when looking at the oil filter adapter plate. I think about 3/8 inch longer. Good luck with your threads.

Date: April 15, 2017 05:53PM

Thanks. I am wondering if I can go another 3/8th longer than that to make up for the missing threads. I guess I can thread a bolt in without the oil filter adapter plate in and see how deep it goes? Just want to make sure I am not poking into cam space and causing a another bigger problem.

Date: April 15, 2017 08:23PM

Found 2 1/2 inch 5/16 bolts to use and may need to file them down but it will give me the extra threads I need to get the appropriate torque on the thread I have remaining.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 16, 2017 06:15AM

IIRC these are all blind holes. Meaning there's no danger of hitting something with too long of a bolt. A long stiff piece of wire in the hole should confirm this.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 16, 2017 09:50AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IIRC these are all blind holes. Meaning there's no
> danger of hitting something with too long of a
> bolt. A long stiff piece of wire in the hole
> should confirm this.

I think you got this wrong - def: "A blind hole refers to a hole that is reamed, drilled, or milled to a specified depth without breaking through to the other side of the workpiece. The etymology is that it is not possible to see through a blind hole." If you put in a bolt that is longer than the threaded portion it will bottom out and if forced it will break the casting.

I replaced all my bolts, but don't have the data handy. Basically you use a small hard wire with a bend on the end to determine how much of the blind hole is threaded to calculate bolt length (always measure one thread from the bottom since the last thread may be tapered). I recall the standard length replacement bolts were just a bit longer than the factory bolts, but fit without bottoming out in the blind holes if you use an extra washer (I use a lock washer AND a flat washer). I recall one hole goes through (not blind), but I could be mistaken. It's been a while.

Good luck - and you won't be the first person who has done this.

Date: April 16, 2017 12:03PM

But why be concerned with how deep the holes are? Just use the proper bolts. Clarks also sells a kit for this using instead of the factory flat washers bolts with the washers built on them. Their idea is to keep these bolts from coming loose.
The correct 5 bolts will have 3 of one length (the same as the generator oil filter plate) and 2 a little bit longer. Have you considered reaching out to a fellow club member or trying one of our vendors for the correct stuff? This really is a non issue and only becomes an issue due to improper work procedures being done (like using too short of bolts which don't grab enough threads which in turn rip the threads out as you have experienced).

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 16, 2017 12:10PM

Looks like Clark's has the right bolts available in original style or serrated washer head.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe, 180 hp 4 Spd
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2015 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 16, 2017 12:45PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But why be concerned with how deep the holes are?
> Just use the proper bolts. Clarks also sells a kit
> for this using instead of the factory flat washers
> bolts with the washers built on them. Their idea
> is to keep these bolts from coming loose.
> The correct 5 bolts will have 3 of one length (the
> same as the generator oil filter plate) and 2 a
> little bit longer. Have you considered reaching
> out to a fellow club member or trying one of our
> vendors for the correct stuff? This really is a
> non issue and only becomes an issue due to
> improper work procedures being done (like using
> too short of bolts which don't grab enough threads
> which in turn rip the threads out as you have
> experienced).

All true Tim, but he stated he had stripped out three top threads of a hole using the wrong bolt (length), his mistake. He wanted to know if he could put in a bolt that would be a little longer than the stock one to compensate for the lost threads - yes if careful. Not the best fix, but an option.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 16, 2017 02:50PM

macutak wrote "Just want to make sure I am not poking into cam space and causing a another bigger problem."

66vairman, Your right.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 16, 2017 03:29PM

Heli-coil the one you ripped out and install the proper bolts in the proper holes, problem solved.

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984. Have personally restored 20 or more Vairs a number of them ground up.

Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 18, 2017 09:07AM

Thanks all. This is probably what I will end up doing is a helicoil fix. For now, the bolt I replaced it with his not much longer then the correct bolt. Only one or two threads. It is a blind hole and will bottom out if I use anything longer. However, it seems to be holding Well with the Bolt I made with two extra threads. Hard lesson learned.

Date: April 18, 2017 09:50AM

If issue is fixed with a slightly longer bolt no need to do anything. BTW, this is how we all learn-by doing/making mistakes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.