home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Gear lube
Posted by: Paul Kehler ()
Date: April 15, 2017 12:25PM

There has been a lot of disscusion on what gear lube to use in our Corvair trans./diff.s..I Googled "Amsoil - San Diego" and found a jobber who works out of his garage. ...went over to his house and he has GL-4 by the quart[about $17] ...he called his tech guy and they recommend for the Corvairs a new synthetic gear lube [75-90 SVG Gl-5] that is safe for our brass synchro's. I invited him to the "Rainbow event" here in So.Cal....let's see if he shows up with good info.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gear lube
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 15, 2017 12:29PM

Good to know - In your message you wrote "GL-5" but the label reads "GL-4).

Did you mean to write "GL-4"?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe project
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+18 Tons of parts

Posted by: Paul Kehler ()
Date: April 15, 2017 12:54PM

In the picture is the "old school" [GL-4] that he has in stock. ..He can order the new synthetic [GL-5}.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: April 15, 2017 01:18PM

I use this for my race transaxles, and it it is reasonable at < $7 a quart delivered :
[www.amazon.com]
For street use Sta-Lube GL4 is also a option :
[www.amazon.com]
I use a GM Limited slip Additive for those transaxles needing same.
Sta-lube also makes a Limited slip GL5 for those who can use it :
[www.amazon.com]
Swepco lube is the very best , if you have extreme ring and pinion gear loading, but quite expensive...

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: April 15, 2017 01:22PM

I've read about the Red Line GL-5 that is supposedly modified to work with synchros and be safe for "yellow" metals - Red Line 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil - the "NS" indicates it's a modified GL-5. (NOTE: GL-5 lubes are too "slippery" for tranmisson synchros, so it's not just a "yellow" metal corrosion issue). Some folks who are racing Corvairs are using the Red Line product - time will tell.

If you are not going racing - I'd stick with the tried and true GL-4 lube. It is more than adequate for a street driven car. It works in the Corvair transaxle without issue.

IMHO - The MOST important consideration for the transaxle lubricant is to CHANGE IT every 10K to 30K miles depending on use.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 15, 2017 01:38PM

I'm looking forward to a "user report" on the new "brass compatible" synthetic you found Paul. No doubt they're right on the chemistry. If it works properly with our old-fashioned synchros this Synthetic gear-lube represents a nice step forward.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe project
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later

+18 Tons of parts

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: April 16, 2017 05:42AM

Date: April 16, 2017 08:59AM

The product shown is Amsoil MTG - for Manual Transmission Gear lube.
I've used it and it works great.

I'm a true believer in using synthetic lubes/grease/oil in our old cars. Proven improved technology.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: April 16, 2017 09:23AM

I use the Amsoil MTG in both of my cars which have the Saginaw. They both shift much smoother then they did with conventional GL4 gear oil.

Lee J
Southern New Jersey near Philly.
1966 Corsa 180/4 speed
1969 Monza convertible 140/4 speed

Date: April 16, 2017 12:35PM

richard1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to the Amsoil sites, the SVG oils are
> differential only.
> The product shown is fine. It says transmission
> and GL-4

Thanks Ricard for your input, that's what I suspected. It's good to have someone knowledgeable comment.

If you have time to comment on the Red Line 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil, the "NS" indicates it's a modified GL-5 for transmissions, would be appreciated.

Regards -

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 04:29PM

If you have time to comment on the Red Line 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil, the "NS" indicates it's a modified GL-5 for transmissions, would be appreciated.

My best comment on this is what I published in my paper on the oils:

To confuse things a little more, we have to read the literature and sometimes consult with the manufacturers. In looking for a few GL-4 products that would meet our needs, I identified Redline MT- 90 as a candidate, but then saw this on their website. I
questioned them and received this response.
“In your Corvair manual transaxle I would recommend the 75W90NS as a GL-5 type gear oil was originally called for. A GL-4 gear oil is suitable for use in a zero or low offset hypoid gear application, where extreme pressures of a high offset hypoid are present a GL-5 gear oil is required. In your transaxle where high offset gears are not present, a GL-4 gear oil could be used though we would recommend a GL-5 as called for.”
While he confirms that the Corvair does not have high offset hypoid gears (“In your transaxle where high offset gears are not present”), he says he recommends his GL-5 product because the Corvair originally recommended GL-5 (“a GL-5 type gear oil was originally called for”). There is a problem with that statement: The GL categories are based on the ASTM STP 512 standards which were originally developed in 1972, three years after the end of the production of the Corvair.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: April 18, 2017 08:41PM

Thanks Richard - Without the RedLine specification one can only go by their recommendation that the NS GL-5 is modified so as not to cause issues with our transmissions.

Typical boutique oil companies - lots of claims, little in the way of specifications.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.