home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jamison's first engine build
Posted by: Paul Kehler ()
Date: April 12, 2017 05:07PM

Jamison brought his '65 140Hp engine down to me [Escondido, Ca.] for rebuild ...in the back of his Kia. ...He is now a Corvair apprentice mechanic. First thing to do is to see what it needs...heads are going out to have deep seats installed! A Corvair #8 special machine screw had gotten into the engine [down the carb?] and had put some dents in #6 piston and head. The engine shows signs of overheating...rings have lost their temper and are not sealing. ...the cast iron cylinders have pushed their way into the heads and the head gaskets were leaking badly. Surface needs to be fly-cut and thick gaskets used. ...more to come..... Paul and Jamison

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jamison's first engine build
Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: April 12, 2017 05:19PM

This looks like a great post to follow!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Posted by: Jamison82 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 06:26PM

After years of failed repairs and poor engine performance I've decided to dive into a complete rebuild. I spent the day with Paul and learned a lot during disassembly which is just as important to me as the final product. The car is back from paint (see "Advice needed") with mixed results and I'm pushing forward brakes and temporary seats while the power train is out. I bought the car with the intent to drive daily and am putting my money and marriage winking smileywhere my mouth is.

I hope this helps motivate other Corvair novices to stay committed to their rebuilds and cars.

Stay tuned! You

Jamison
1965 Corsa Convertible - Fixer Upper
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: April 12, 2017 08:13PM

Hey Jamison -- I am about to embark on your same journey--- I want to buy and rebuild a 140.

I have always been a guy who feels that to "learn it you have to do it"-- I learned masonry that way--- will never make a living at it-- but I know how to respectfully lay a brick (have huge respect for masons)-- same with other skills--

My first car was 2 Karman Ghia's-- one wrecked in the front and one wrecked in the rear-- made one car out of it and learned so much--

Let's stay in touch-- I am sure we can help each other---

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Date: April 13, 2017 10:54AM

My previous experience was with VW's as well...great cars.

This forum is great but I also recommend getting in touch with a local club. If I could do it all over again I would have started with the engine rebuild first.

These cars are a blast to drive so you should get your engine built asap.

Jamison
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: April 13, 2017 02:46PM

Jamison,
thumbs up to you. Your VW experience will come in handy here, even tho Corvairs have their own design's. There is a lot to learn even cleaning parts. Your going at it the right way, I agree.... there is a lot to enjoy with a completely and properly rebuilt Corvair engine in your car.

Enjoy the ride!smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: April 17, 2017 06:00PM

Up date: ...Engine is completely disassembled and cleaned. ,,,Nitrited crank mic's out standard. .....heads are off to have deep seats installed. ...crank is at the machine shop to be magnafluxed, polished and a new crank gear installed [ badly galled as was the cam gear from debris in the oil]. New main and rod bearings ordered from Clarks...new 270 cam with cam gear installed is already here from Clarks. ...more fun to come!!!

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: April 17, 2017 06:20PM

You'll love the 270 cam.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Warner Robins, GA (15 miles south of Macon)

Click for Warner Robins, GeorgiaForecast

Date: April 25, 2017 10:56AM

Here are some pictures taken during the breakdown. All parts should be ready for assembly next week. I've been slowly assembling the car after paint, usually late at night while the kids are asleep. I end up working on whatever part motivates me to stay up late in the cold outside.

I also took time to replace all break hydraulics last night and turn all four drums.

I'll try to attend the Rainbow event this Saturday. I have yet to see a well tuned/looking LM in person. Time to convince the wife to "vacation"cool smiley in San Diego this weekend!

Jamison
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: mdelvecc ()
Date: April 25, 2017 11:09AM

Hi Jamison!

First post here to the forum - couldn't help but reach out since your are down the road from me. I'm 4 blocks from the Glendale line - Verdugo and York. I'll be pulling my 140 engine for inspection and possible rebuild very soon, so I'm watching your progress and photos carefully!

Great work and best of luck!

Matt

Date: April 25, 2017 05:15PM

Jamison ....We just got one of our members '65 Corsa 140 HP vert back together so he could bring it to the "Rainbow" ....complete front suspension rebuild...blasted and powdercoated. This vert has taken "Best of show" at the Fan Belt Toss! ...white with a red interior.

Date: May 01, 2017 11:19AM

Jamison and his family came to the "Rainbow" on Sat. ....On Sun., he came to my house and the family went to the beach! ...he did one more cleaning and inspection of the block...had to repair an alignment stud [block to diff.] ...two cylinders and pistons got cleaned and decarboned, then the ridge was removed. ..then honed. ...Everything looks good! ...It is going back together with Moly, Std. Hastings rings.

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 01, 2017 06:51PM

Makin' Progress!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 05, 2017 10:53PM

Paul's making sure I learn the basics like checking specs, going through ALL steps of any given process as well as how to avoid common pitfalls. He's also instilling a deep hatred towards silicone at least on Corvair engineswinking smiley

Here are a few pics showing us so small but important things such as chasing threads to ensure a smooth reassembly, repairing and fabricating alignment pins that damaged or missing. There are also two pictures that make a pretty good argument for working at Paul's place.

Jamison
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 05, 2017 11:00PM

Jamison
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: stiffneck ()
Date: May 06, 2017 07:01AM

Way to go Paul and Jamison!

I should have paid better attention I would have loved to watch you guys build that engine sunday.... I will be there next week at the meeting but this is why I wanted to join a club to learn how to fix things properly.

Nice 65 Jamison!

1963 VW Ragtop Bug 40hp
1964 Corvair 900 Vert 140hp
1966 Corvair 4-door 110hp

Date: May 18, 2017 06:07PM

Heads are repaired, cleaned, deep seats installed, new stainless valves and new springs. I'm taking them to Paul's house this weekend! Making progress, learning and having fun.

I recommend participating in your build at least once if you never have before. I'm enjoying the experience with Paul.

Jamison
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: May 18, 2017 06:53PM

Sweet , are those new heads from California Corvairs ?

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: May 18, 2017 07:16PM

They were done by Bruce at EMS in Inglewood CA. He also does slant exhaust tubes and other mods. My heads will be stock.

Jamison
Glendale, CA

[corvaircenter.com]
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: May 19, 2017 03:24PM

Bruce is the man. I hauled heads down from Canada for him to do. He does California Corvair's heads I believe.

James
Maple Ridge, BC

1965 Monza Coupe 140/4spd, Factory '66 headrests, rear antenna
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2009 Silverado HD Crew Cab 4x4 (for haulin cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.