home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Car Transport Reccomendations
Posted by: stiffneck ()
Date: April 12, 2017 06:48AM

Hey there,

Ok... so I have this 66 Corvair that needs to be shipped from Florida to California. My brother has the car currently and he is looking at shipping company's.

If it were up to me I would just fly out there and drive it back. But... it's in my brothers hand's until it's in mine.

He has picked Auto Shipping Group Inc. It's a broker with numerous complaints... bait and switch... low ball quote then the price is jacked up. Just really bad reviews.

I am trying to convince my brother NOT to use this company. Anybody have a transport company they have used and were happy?

Is it about 40c-50c per mile? So a 2,500 mile trip should be around $1,500?

Thanks!

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car Transport Reccomendations
Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: April 12, 2017 07:04AM

Personally, I have used cheap shippers to move a car and the experience was less than enjoyable.

You get what you pay for. The good names (Reliable, Passport Transport, Intercity line) are not cheap, but you also can rest assured that you will not be jerked around and the car will arrive in the shape it left.

The company I work for often uses reliable for situations where we need a classic car in a place where we cannot feasibly drive it. The drivers are nothing less than top notch and the entire process is professional. I cant say that about "Rock Bottom Auto Transport" when the driver dropped the car off and only took cash on delivery and couldn't speak English.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Date: April 12, 2017 07:10AM

Thank you.... just what I am trying to get through to my brother. You get what you pay for....

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 07:54AM

Have used MONTWAY AUTO TRANSPORT two times now. Once from OK to FL and again from KY to FL. They are a broker/management company. The quoted price is what you pay. There is a discount for "Cash" payment where you reserve transporter by paying Montway fee with CC and then Cash/Certified Funds. They have selections for Covered/Open transport and also Running/Non-Running car. Once the transport company/driver is dispatched you get the phone numbers for both. They did well both times and the service is Door-to-Door. Book with the on-line service agent via CHAT for best service.

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: April 12, 2017 08:23AM

Hey guys I'm in the logistics business and see this stuff all to often. Many of these rogue shipping companies are simply brokers disguised as the actual carrier who will bait you with a low price, ask for a deposit (which is simply their brokers fee so they get paid) then they shop your order to whomever they can find to haul it for the price quoted. The actual hauler they finally secure to haul for you may be less than reputable, under insured and may not even be compliant with FMCSA regulations. Most times (if they show up) they do not meet pick-up or delivery times and once they have your possession loaded they may change pricing due to things the original broker might have missed like weight, distance, oversize, inoperable vehicle or truck accessibility. They then demand additional payment before delivery. Most reputable companies like ours have gone strictly to using a binding tariff and giving our customers a bound quote (or binding not to exceed). Most reputable companies are also the broker, booker and hauler. In other words no 3rd party and nothing farmed out. Always get the DOT number of the company and make sure it matches the DOT# on the truck that arrives to pick you up. I'm in household but we haul cars as well. I deal with customers who have fallen prey to these things. By default these practices have tarnished the reputation of carriers who are reputable because people think these practices are common place. I can assure you they are not! Take your time, do your research, demand a binding quote, get details of carriers DOT #, insurance, and do not pay a deposit, make sure you are talking to the carrier and not a broker. Most reputable companies will not make you pay a deposit to hold your date. That is typically a red flag and B.S. in my industry. I'm in the moving industry and we do ship cars so hopefully some of this info will be helpful and relative [www.fmcsa.dot.gov] Also, just a tip on the terminology, when you ship something you are the Shipper, the company doing the shipping is the Carrier.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Date: April 12, 2017 09:27AM

Thank you Noel. I am trying to convince my Dad who is in Thailand and my brother in Florida that this is what is going on with Auto Shipping Group Inc.

I mean it's a HUGE red flag for me but I am always looking past the glossy cover for whats really going on.

They did take a deposit from my brother already. The company is not even door to door but you must be willing to go meet them someplace.
WTF?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:45AM

Kyle, which Reliable? I Googled and several possibilities.

Noel, I went to the FMCSA site, but being a government site, it offers no list of brokers vs carriers. You have to wade through Google to get suggestions and then enter their names into FMCSA site to check their complaints, a good thing. Also, the site is geared to household moves, vehicle moves are not specifically addressed.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:50AM

TFX is good in Canada if you want to pay top dollar and be treated like crap sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 10:57AM by Mel.

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:56AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kyle, which Reliable? I Googled and several
> possibilities.
>
>

Hey Frank, apologize for being unclear. The carrier I have experience with is

Reliable Carrier LINK

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 12, 2017 11:34AM

I've listed a car on [uship.com] several times.... with no time frame...

Of course you get all the $$$ brokers immediately...

But always within 30 days I've got called by a hauler in the area with an empty spot to fill... great price and so far... great service...

Once, I did have to drive a '90 LOWERED Chevy Dually 90 miles to where he was....but two days later it was in Waxahachie, Tx....but the price was $900 instead of the lowest offer of $1600

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 12:06PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Date: April 12, 2017 12:10PM

The first place I called when I found out the corvair was ready to ship was passport transport. I got a quote for $2,000 and it seemed a bit high but for peace of mind I think it's worth it.

I am not paying for the shipping though my Dad and brother are. I am a broke sob. I just get the car.... and that's fine with me! It's a sweet corvair!

I know my family wants to save on shipping.... but I am more concerned with somebody taking less than good care of the car on it's way here...

Thanks everyone for the advice I have sent the link to this message for them.

Posted by: volleybob ()
Date: April 12, 2017 05:54PM

stiffneck....I'll say that $2000 is more than a BIT high.
I just shipped my 2001 Pontiac Firebird from Honolulu to San Diego for $870 from Pasha/Hawaii, the actual carrier. That's over 2600 miles across the Pacific. I will agree that transporting a vehicle cross-country is probably somewhat more expensive, but 2K is way over what I think is a fair price. From what I heard from other people shipping cross-country is around 1200 to 1500 on a reputable carrier.
Yes, watch out for some of these brokers. Some are very legit, some are not.

Bob Bacchi - SDCC

Posted by: jack bacon ()
Date: April 12, 2017 08:34PM

Try Van Dam Trucking out of Fargo, ND great guy, car collector, goes to Florida and Amelia Island all the time and California.

[www.vandamtrucking.com]

Jack

CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Membership Chairman
Corvair Minnesota President
Corvair Minnesota Memberhip Director
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts
Corvanatics
Heart of America Corvair Owners Association
Antique Motorycle Club of America / Viking Chapter AMCA
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club / Viking Chaper VJMC
garagejournal.com
1972 Honda CB175
1962 Rampside baby blue

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: April 12, 2017 09:30PM

Last Summer I used Orange Transport to bring a 69 Monza convertible from Boston to San Diego. I wanted an enclosed van. Service was excellent, the driver knew exactly what he was doing. Here is the Quote I got. No ups, no extras, no problems at all. Close to 3000 miles.

Hello John,

The price for enclosed is $1490 and a revised quote has been sent in a separate email. Have a great day!

Kind regards,

Tiffany Weaver
Orange Auto Transport

Tel: 800-292-4588 | Fax: 714-489-4889

Date: April 20, 2017 11:22AM

So my brother calls me today and said they might pick up my corvair tomorrow in Vero Beach FL. They were supposed to pick it up LAST Friday.

They jacked up his shipping price by $300 because they said gas went up. So total price is $1200.

They might deliver the corvair 5-10 miles away from my home San Diego.

I hate to say it but they did everything I said they would.

At least there is something going on... It MIGHT be here for 1 day vair's....

1963 VW Ragtop Bug 40hp
1964 Corvair 900 Vert 140hp
1966 Corvair 4-door 110hp

Posted by: Tom Turbo ()
Date: April 20, 2017 04:30PM

I used Montway from Detroit to Houston. They quoted a price, stuck to it, and delivered. I had to call them a couple of times to keep "the fire lit" but they were having trouble finding a carrier. When they did things really happened. The driver left Detroit Monday afternoon and arrived in HOuston, my driveway, Tuesday evening. Can't beat that for performance.

If it don't go, chrome it!
Stroker McGurk, 1961.

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: April 21, 2017 06:30AM

I have used:

Hillbilly Auto Transport (don't be fooled by the name)
Enclosed Vehicle Transport
Intercity Lines

All with good, easy, on time and on budget results. None of them are cheap but you get what you pay for.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 21, 2017 06:51AM

Do not....DO NOT use "All Auto" (if they are even still in business!)

They strapped down my Monza right above the roof pillar, leaving belt buckle indentions.

As they car was unloaded in a light drizzle rain (my mistake, never again!) the damage was not found until the following day. The company refused to honor my damage claim.

Date: April 21, 2017 07:47AM

Yeah.... I tried to tell all this stuff to my brother and Dad. They were kind of in charge of shipping the corviar to me here in San Diego. I got the "your older brother knows what he is doing speech" and I had to just shut my mouth about it... even though I am 51 yr. haha

While reading the small print on the company he DID pick it said in there if the driver (whoever they pick) damages your car THEY are not responsible. ??? Auto Shipping Group I mean. They say they will maybe try and help you but your kind of on your own. That's some shady stuff right there.... WTF?

Anyway I am crossing my fingers it get's here fine. I can hope right?

1963 VW Ragtop Bug 40hp
1964 Corvair 900 Vert 140hp
1966 Corvair 4-door 110hp

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 21, 2017 08:25AM

Wait until the car arrives!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.