home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Replacement Fuse Panel Product-Update spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 10, 2017 09:25AM

As many of you know, I manufacture fuse panels for custom cars and street rods. (Link to my website) Unfortunately, my 9" long product is too long to fit the Corvair's fuse panel location so I've been working on a small-footprint 5" panel specifically designed to replace an existing panel.

Yesterday, I installed the first prototype in my '66. It fit like a charm!

Basic specs:

3 3/4" x 5"

9 Fuses (stock panels are 5-7 fuse)

Fits '60-69 cars and FC models. (as well as non-Corvair, domestic or foreign)

Turn signal flasher (some Corvairs have an on-board flasher) and the socket is LED-flasher compatible

Option Relay for many uses including: fuel pump,hi-beam,hi-blower,accessory circuit, AC fans, button start, etc. The option relay can be controlled by a +12v or ground signal.

Ignition-circuit fuse (not normally fused on a Corvair)

3-way output terminals: Push-on tabs, Spade lug, or direct wire clamp

Kit will include pre-made extensions needed for short factory wires.

Pricing is still TBD but I'm targeting $110 for the kit.

Here are a few shots from the install. This is a prototype so comments made now could be stirred into the final product so please feel free to chime in.

1) Here's what I had to start with; a rusty panel in a '66 Corsa

2) Halfway home. Out with the old an in with the new. Note that most of the harness goes right through the panel; in one end and out the other. Four of the wires to the panel were plug-in and four had to be cut from the old panel. Most of the original wires are quite short so the kit includes extensions.

3) Final product - upgraded and ready to go. No more corroded contacts-Yeah!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 09:26AM by cnicol.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacement Fuse Panel Product-Update spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: 66Monza140 ()
Date: April 10, 2017 09:56AM

A product that fills a need - Beautiful!thumbs up
On my list.

"Give'r hell 'til you see God, then back'er down a notch"

'66 Monza 140 4 sp w/A/C...
Western VT

Re: Replacement Fuse Panel Product-Update spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: April 10, 2017 10:30AM

Vairy nice!!!

Never really realized how small the Corvair fuse box was compared to others.

Nice work Craig!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: April 10, 2017 11:46AM

Paulsgt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vairy nice!!!
>
> Never really realized how small the Corvair fuse
> box was compared to others.
>
> Nice work Craig!

Thanks, Paul.

It's not so much that the Corvair's fuse panel was small; all fuse panels were smaller in those days. The four or so fuses in a Falcon were built into the underside of the headlight switch. A '56 Chevy fuse panel was about 3" x 3".

Street rod buyers select their panels based on appearance, fuse count and "circuits" so my product for that market has 17 fuses and 26 labeled circuits.

Unfortunately, at 9" long, it won't fit in place of an OEM panel. In addition to its new smaller footprint, I tweaked this design for the replacement market so it would more easily accommodate connection to a factory harness and circuits.

Based on reaction so far today (Facebook's "Corvair Owners Group" is reacting mightily), I think I'm going to be pretty busy once the product is launched in about six weeks. Hang on tight, Craiggrinning smiley

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 10, 2017 11:56AM

I knew your 1st car would come in handy!!!

As I get older / less flexible.....I'm thinking a panel that lays in the trunk on the shelf will be the ticket...similar to what Richard1 did with his 60...

One of these panels, supplied with wire extensions would be great for those that find electrical work a nightmare?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: April 10, 2017 12:24PM

Excellent Job! smileys with beer

I like the way it looks. It fills a need for updated electrical components! grinning smiley

What about the flasher situation for 'later' models? My '67 Monza has the Turn Flasher mounted in a 'spring clip' to the left of the steering column. The "Flasher" in the fuse block is for the "4-Way Emergency Flasher" when the "Hazard Button" (on the right of the steering column, 180 degrees from the Turn Lever) is pushed.

I am just curious because my goal for next winter is to build a new, custom wiring system for the '67 and I like to check out all my options.

Thanks again!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: April 10, 2017 02:44PM

I've got most of my fuses back in the engine compartment now (fuel pump, htr fan, headlights). Only low amperage stuff is under the dash. Would consider it for my Rampside though.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: County98 ()
Date: April 10, 2017 04:59PM

Looks great. Definitely o my list if my corroded one doesn't clean up enough.

Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: April 12, 2017 02:54AM

Looks great. Will they have detailed instructions on how to install? If so,put me on the list for one for my Spyder.

Posted by: corvairdude1 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 03:32AM

Put me down for one...or two...

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 05:07AM

As I get older / less flexible.....I'm thinking a panel that lays in the trunk on the shelf will be the ticket...similar to what Richard1 did with his 60...

Matt,
you can put one of the longer ones in the trunk, as I did with my Dauphine. I would have put it with the connections down except I did not think about how the cover fit until it was finished.

Yes, this makes things much easier.

On this pic I still have a few wires to tuck.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: April 12, 2017 08:31AM

Does this mount using the same factory bolt holes? I like to drill as few holes as possible since it is an irreversible change to an original vehicle.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Date: April 12, 2017 09:06AM

glivorsi Wrote:
> Does this mount using the same factory bolt holes?
> I like to drill as few holes as possible since it
> is an irreversible change to an original vehicle.

Craig replies:
Yes, the new panel mounts using the original holes. I supply shorter length screws because the original screws would be about 1/2" longer than needed for the new panel. Thanks for asking!

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 10:37AM

Hi Craig,

It looks like you are shooting for a launch at the end of May/Early June. Is there a way to put a pre-order in? This might even help you gauge demand for your first production run. I am in need of one for my Greenbrier. Thanks!

cnicol Wrote:
>
> Based on reaction so far today (Facebook's
> "Corvair Owners Group" is reacting mightily), I
> think I'm going to be pretty busy once the product
> is launched in about six weeks. Hang on tight,
> Craiggrinning smiley

Jon
Enrolled in the Culver City Automotive School of Hard Knocks
============================================================
Member of South Coast Corsa
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Posted by: 65180 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 01:40PM

I will take one for sure.Keep us posted.

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Date: April 13, 2017 07:50AM

Thank you all for your interest!

Several folks have expressed interest in "pre-sale" and I appreciate that; thank you.

However, rather than taking orders in a pre-sale, my plan when the product is ready and available, is to individually notify those who have expressed interest here and on the FB "Corvair Owners Group".

I expect to have product in 4-6 weeks. The stamped base plates are due soon and the revised circuit card incorporating adjustments (and larger labels!) should be here at about the same time. Instructions and marketing materials are written and ready to print pending photos of the final product.

The wide interest here and on FB is pretty cool! I suspect I'm going to be a pretty busy boy in the latter part of May! (That's a good thing!)smiling smiley

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: SteveH ()
Date: April 13, 2017 08:22AM

I'll be looking for two

CORSA Member #034095
SF Bay Area zip:94580

1965 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140hp 4speed
Built 9/15/64 #148 off the LOS line, #1448 for the year
1965 Corvair Corsa "Corsamatic" 140hp PG

Date: April 13, 2017 05:03PM

More progress to report: I just completed a "fit-check" in a early model and like the '66, it fit my '60 like a charm.

In some ways, it actually fit better because some of the factory wiring was on the long side so those wires just needed trimming and a new terminal vs. the need for extensions on the late model install.

I need to think about circuit labels. The earlies have so many plug-ins its hard to know the circuit without unplugging its wire. I'll have to work on that.

At any rate, it fits well, looks good, and of course it works just like it should.
A good day.cool smiley

Photos 1 & 2 - the finished install
Photo 3 - the original, rusty panel.

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 05:04PM by cnicol.

Attachments:

Posted by: Mark M ()
Date: April 14, 2017 02:19PM

cnicol Wrote:

> I need to think about circuit labels. The earlies
> have so many plug-ins its hard to know the circuit
> without unplugging its wire. I'll have to work on
> that.

Ain't that the truth! I restored my panel a couple years ago and had to be very careful. I took photos of the original labeling and keep them in my glove box. Even so, some of the original labeling is less than clear and accurate and if I recall correctly doesn't exactly match the manual. Of course, my car is an early 64 with some 63 parts and I think the panel and wiring are 63.

And I realize you have a business to run, but I sure wish you would stop working to make money and get to restoring that Corsa! eye popping smiley I can't wait to watch the progress.

Mark M
Project: 64 Spyder Vert running 80 hp heads and carbs
1st Vair: 65 Corsa 140
St. Louis, MO
Show Me Corvair Club &
CORSA member

"If it's not broken, you're not driving it hard enough"

Date: April 19, 2017 06:31AM

oldqmguy Wrote:
...What about the flasher situation for 'later' models? My '67 Monza has the Turn Flasher mounted in a 'spring clip' to the left of the steering column. The ['67-9] "Flasher" in the fuse block is for the 4-Way Emergency Flasher"...

I am just curious because my goal for next winter is to build a new, custom wiring system for the '67 and I like to check out all my options.

Thanks again!
Dale

Craig replies:
Thanks for the suggestion, Dale. As a result of your question above, I've modified the circuit board design. Production versions will permit the flasher to serve as a turn signal flasher for early models and as a hazard flasher for the late-lates. Thanks for the heads-up!smileys with beer

2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.