home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Subtracting Weight from the Autocrosser
Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: August 03, 2017 12:28AM

Been plugging away at various aspects of the project. Today I finished up the rear seat area side panels. Since I took the window regulators out when I put in the Lexan quarter windows, I didn't want to run the stock side panels with a big hole in it where the wind crank used to be.

So I went down to my local plastics supply store and bought a couple of sheets of 1/16" plastic. Impervious to water, it cuts easily with some big scissors. I used early to mid-90s Honda inner fender buttons to attach it to the body. They were just the right size for the stock 5/16" panel retaining clip holes. I put in a couple of extra in the middle of the panel to keep it from vibrating. The plastic is thin enough that the molding trim that goes on the front edge of it fits easily.

I'm already working on door panels to match.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: August 03, 2017 08:50AM

Really nice work. This should be a very good looking car when done.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: August 05, 2017 05:03PM

Here is the panel I have created for the doors. Smooth and simple. Same Honda inner fender buttons fit perfectly in the 5/16" holes that are there for the stock panel clips (once you take the plastic inserts out). Everything worked out just like it did in the back. The arm rests and handles all fit perfectly once the holes are cut. I used a hole saw to cut them after marking the location with the stock door panel.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Date: August 05, 2017 05:12PM

The middle picture shows the shiny new door sill plates.

I know someone is going to ask how much these new panels save in weight, since that is the theme of the thread. Weight savings wasn't my rationale for doing this. The car runs in a street legal class and it has to have an interior. After taking out the window regulators in the back I didn't want to leave the stock panels with holes were the window cranks used to be and then I wanted the fronts to match the backs.

Nevertheless, all together there is about a 5 lb. reduction in weight.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: August 05, 2017 05:58PM

Very clean, I'm loving it! I'm thinking we can mill some slots in the handles and lighten those up a bit too...grinning smiley

Loving the attention to detail. Keep up the nice work!

Still waiting to see the cool sway bar and links...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Date: August 06, 2017 10:32AM

Does Stock Class need working windows? You took out the rear windows, can the fronts be removed as well? Lots of weight there.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: August 07, 2017 08:06AM

> Does Stock Class need working windows? You took
> out the rear windows, can the fronts be removed as
> well? Lots of weight there.

Yes, stock class needs to have the stock windows and mechanisms in place. Jonathan doesn't race in stock class, he has listed his classes in the second post of page 2 of this thread.

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: August 07, 2017 05:27PM

Have you weighed your car recently to see how light it really is?

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project

Date: August 10, 2017 09:54AM

After four days of cutting, swirl removing, polishing, buffing, waxing and buffing here is what the car turned out like. I would say, not too bad for a 26-year-old paint job.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Date: August 10, 2017 10:05AM

Here are the pictures from the back end.

Johnny -

Next time I have the car up the air I'll try to remember to snap some pictures of the new front sway bar and post them for you.

Will -

In order to weigh the car and see exactly where it comes in, I'll have to get the motor done and back in the car. I'm basing the weight of the car on the net weight reduction of the parts removed (weight of removed parts minus weight of installed parts) and that amount is subtracted from the previous weight of the car. Old car weight = 2350 lbs. minus 95 lbs. (weight removed) should = 2255 lbs.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Date: August 10, 2017 10:14AM

Bob -

Back in the 70s, Tom Vohs, down there in Oregon, used to have a car that had door window glass that was removable. He had it set up so that it just set in the regulator track. When he moved it in a certain way it would pop out of the track and he could lift it out. That way he could drive to the track, pop the windows out and race, then put them back in for the drive home.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: August 10, 2017 10:34AM

I'm jealous of your carbon fiber deck lid. Very nice. Car looks sharp. What are those tail lights?

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: August 10, 2017 08:56PM

Nate -

Those taillight lenses are something I found in an auto parts store years ago. They were replacement lenses for trailer taillights that just happened to be about the right size.

For those who are interested in the paint, it was a Glazurit product. I am amazed at how well it has recovered from oxidation. I used Meguire's Medium Cut and then Meguire's Swirl Remover. Both really performed as advertised. Finally, two coats of wax. The pictures don't really do it justice.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

OT Re: 4" smooth taillight lenses
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 10, 2017 09:53PM

REd , Amber, White, Clear at FLAPS normally

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: OT Re: 4" smooth taillight lenses
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 11, 2017 12:49AM

More lightening, Jonathan? Buffing off a couple of lbs. of oxidized paint!!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: August 11, 2017 08:49AM

Bob Slusher talked to me about the temporary windows for transport. I'll look into them. Long drives without windows would be tough. One day, I hope to get up to your area Jonathan to play together at Bremerton or the Ridge. Until then, PIR.

Why not just remove all the paint and go raw steel! I think that drops a good 10 pounds! American Airlines did that for years. Just polished aluminum. Maybe our 50 year old body panels are not really straight enough any more for that!

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: August 11, 2017 09:40AM

Seth -

Who knows? Maybe that will show up when I get around to weighing the car!

Bob -

Mine would be pretty unsightly with lots of small, pink Bondo spots!

I also remembered that my race wheels and tires are 38 lbs. lighter than the street wheels and tires. So that should bring me down to 2217. If I remember right, that 2350 number was with the engine valence panel in place. That's gone now too. Maybe we should start a betting pool to see who can predict the correct weight!

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: August 11, 2017 09:55AM

Just thought I'd post some picture of the interior that I took as I was taking pictures of the reconditioned paint. Since I can't get the forum image posting to work, I thought I'd try out the image posting service that Dan Davis told me about.

Here's the driver's entry:
[postimg.org]

Here's the passenger's entry:
[postimg.org]

Here's the passenger's seat, which is a recent addition to match the driver's seat that I have had for a while:
[postimg.org]

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: August 11, 2017 10:00AM

Let's try that again...

Driver's entry:

Passenger's entry:

Passenger's seat:

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: August 11, 2017 10:06AM

Having been involved in other automotive communities I have seen some creative ways to reduce weight.
On the Fox body and SN series Mustangs they will replace the heavy front sub frame with a tubular one. Stock is like 60lbs and the tubular chrome moly ones about 10 lbs.
Same could be done on a Corvair. Also the rear horse collar on a Corvair could easily be recreated in chromoly tubing as well to drop more weight.
Carbon fiber axle shafts to replace the steel ones.

Lee J

Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.