home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Subtracting Weight from the Autocrosser
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 11, 2017 10:07AM

Success! you want the larger version though;

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: August 12, 2017 12:00AM

Matt -

Yes, I do! Which one is the larger version though?

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: August 12, 2017 12:13AM

Lee -

Once I go to flared fenders and wider wheels and tires, I will be under the minimum weight in SCCA Street Modified class. There is no minimum weight for cars with 275 or narrower tires. There is a minimum weight for cars with wider than 275 tires. I will have to add some weight back in. But then I can put it where I want it: more toward the front and below the wheel centers.

For now, the project has been to subtract weight from the rear to enhance the front/rear distribution and to subtract weight from relatively high areas to reduce the center of gravity. Hence the work on the rear deck lid, the rear window and the quarter windows.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: 1bad67 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 03:05PM

I searched, but couldn't find the answer. Where did you get that carbon fiber decklid?

Eric
Portland Oregon

Pics of my '65 Corvair
Pics of the Convertible

Date: August 15, 2017 05:03PM

Hi Eric -

Sorry. The CF deck lid is a one-off made by a guy up here in Tacoma. I had some things he wanted, so we worked a trade.

Did davemotohead ever get a hold of you?

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: August 16, 2017 11:24PM

I'm back to working on the engine and I ran into a problem. I used a Federal-Mogul engine assembly lube when putting things together and that seemed great. It was viscous and sticky. Seemed like it would stay in place for quite a while while I worked on completing the engine.

To deal with another problem I had to take the rods back off the crank and, lo and behold, what do I see? Rust on crank journal and the big end of the rod by the bearing insert. Who ever heard of engine assembly lube rusting parts. Here is the picture of the rust on the big end of the rod where the assembly lube squeezed out of the bearing and dripped out onto the rod.

Here is the picture of the rust around the oil hole on the crankshaft rod journal.

Here is the picture of the culprit.

Anybody else ever have this experience? The rust came off of the rod easily with 600 grit emery cloth. If it did this around the rod journal oil holes, I'm sure it did it also around the main journal oil holes. I'm going to have to re-split the case and take the crankshaft to be re-polished.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 16, 2017 11:56PM

Did you clean the oil holes out in the crank good with a stiff wire bottle brush until no dirt came out? Hot soapy water and WD-40 gets the dirt out and blow it dry, I have used the federal mogul stuff for years with no problems, how long did it sit? Yes I have been in contact with Eric, just taking me a while to get the parts together, sandblasting the stuff takes a bit.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: August 17, 2017 12:12AM

Dave -

Yes, the assembled rods on the crank sat for a couple of months, but regular oil would never do that. The crank was thoroughly cleaned before assembly. This same rust from the assembly lube has showed up (although less so) on the camshaft lobes which has not been in the block nearly as long as the rods have been on the crank. The rust seems to show up where oxygen can get to the parts coated with the assembly lube, i.e. around the oil holes but not at all on the bearing surface of the journal itself. Also, it happened a lot faster on the camshaft lobes which are always exposed to air. On the cam lobes you can clearly see where the drop of lube did not cover the entire lobe, but just rusted the lobe where it did.

It is very clearly related to the assembly lube. I don't think I'll be using this product again.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: 1bad67 ()
Date: August 17, 2017 11:13AM

It's like the assembly lube had absorbed water. Never seen anything like that before.

Date: August 17, 2017 07:39PM

Jonathon:

Sorry to read of your rust issue, I've never seen an assembly lube or paste cause that.

Torco MPZ is used for assembly lube on high dollar turbo engines manufactured where I work. We've implemented it about 13 years ago and it's pretty amazing how well it protects, especially in high friction areas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.