home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Subtracting Weight from the Autocrosser
Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: March 21, 2017 07:55PM

This thread is reconstituting and adding on to a thread that mysteriously disappeared a while back.

I've been working at lightening up the back end of my '66 Corsa Autocrosser. The goals is to get to a 45% front and 55% rear weight distribution (with driver). With these adjustment I should be pretty close!

First up, is the new Lexan rear window. The side view shows the correct curvature that is in the window.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Subtracting Weight from the Autocrosser
Date: March 21, 2017 07:59PM

The first picture here shows the extra retaining screws I used to hold the corners of the Lexan rear window down.

The second shows the rear window with the trim all polished up and installed.

The third shows the new front windshield which is not plastic, but regular safety glass.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 21, 2017 07:59PM

Impressive work!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 21, 2017 08:06PM

Here are the new Lexan quarter windows. The first pictures looks back along the window. You can see the new weatherstrip seal and the plastic spacer between the body and the window.

The second shows the bolts along the inside of the lower edge mounting it up the body through the holes for the "fuzzy" clips.

The third one is a side view. The Lexan is much less thick than the stock window, so I had to create a small shim to glue on the front edge of the window to supply the correct thickness to hold it in the metal weatherstrip frame.

Attachments:

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: March 21, 2017 08:12PM

Nice work thumbs up

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: March 21, 2017 08:36PM

Here are left and right side photos of the finished products.

The other picture shows the seal between the door window and the quarter window.

Everything came out pretty good!

Attachments:

Date: March 21, 2017 08:58PM

Here's the carbon fiber rear deck lid. The close-up shows the button-type hood pins that I used. I plan to paint it to match the car at some point. For now, it is the color of the fiber mat.

Attachments:

Date: March 21, 2017 09:10PM

Fuller views of the rear deck lid.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: March 21, 2017 09:44PM

Jonathan, Where do you AutoX? Do you go to other car clubs events? I ask because I did the last race of last year in Bremerton with the Porsche club up there. I am off to opening day at PIR this next weekend. Should be a lot of fun.

Is this the car your building the big bore for? It's very nice and the engine sounds like it will be a screamer.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: March 21, 2017 09:58PM

Bob -

There are three regular autocross race series up here in Western Washington that are open to all cars. Northwest Region SCCA is the most competitive, attracting a lot of very talented drivers in various classes. They race at Bremerton and Packwood. The Bremerton Sports Car Club races exclusively at the Bremerton Motorsports Park. Their classes are more generic, but they always have great turnouts. The Western Washington Sports Car Council has an 8-to-10-race series every year. They race mostly at the Shelton airport, but occasionally at the Emerald Downs parking lot. WWSCC is a council of member car clubs. Each club sponsors on race event per year.

I have never been to a Porsche Club event.

Yes, this is the same car that the big bore motor will go in. It is also the same care that I have done significant brake and suspension work on.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 21, 2017 10:13PM

Jonathan - Did you pre-bend the rear quarter windows or are they just positioned and retained in place. They look great. Stock door glass? Did you find one of the new, lighter, front windshields? These new replacements are much thinner - and lighter than the OEM ones.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: March 21, 2017 10:29PM

Hi Seth -

Yes, I had the Lexan formed to the shape of the windows by a plastics shop here in the Seattle area, both for the rear window and for the quarter windows. The screws were just for a little insurance at the tightest part of the bend.

The door glass is stock. I usually roll them down when racing (unless it's really raining hard) to get the weight lower.

Yes, the new windshield is one of the new, thinner variety.

Total weight savings from these modifications is right at 90 pounds. Most of it at the back and up fairly high.

Here are some pictures of my modified front suspension. Custom upper A-arm with Delrin bushings and longer top ball-joint. Lower arms also have Delrin bushings.

Currently in the process of putting on a new Sadek hollow front bar with heim-joint ends. Will also install stiffer front springs at that time.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: March 22, 2017 04:13AM

I really like what i see,but that upper ball joint is going to bend like a bannana when you hit the brakes with any severity. You might look into that. Mike

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: March 22, 2017 06:15AM

I was wondering/thinking the same thing, Mike.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: March 22, 2017 09:12AM

There are three regular autocross race series up
> here in Western Washington that are open to all
> cars. Northwest Region SCCA is the most
> competitive, attracting a lot of very talented
> drivers in various classes. They race at
> Bremerton and Packwood. The Bremerton Sports Car
> Club races exclusively at the Bremerton
> Motorsports Park. Their classes are more generic,
> but they always have great turnouts. The Western
> Washington Sports Car Council has an 8-to-10-race
> series every year. They race mostly at the
> Shelton airport, but occasionally at the Emerald
> Downs parking lot. WWSCC is a council of member
> car clubs. Each club sponsors on race event per
> year.
>
> I have never been to a Porsche Club event.
>
> Yes, this is the same car that the big bore motor
> will go in. It is also the same care that I have
> done significant brake and suspension work on.

I have done Packwood and Bremerton with my brother in law. He runs a Porsche Boxter. I like AutoX, am going to a race this weekend at PIR. I wish it was easier for me to make the drive up to you. I would love to see your new monster race and pick up some tips on going faster. Just to see a Corvair all out is a thrill. Now I am wondering if I should have Ray build my motor as a twin turbo 6-port injection 3.2L. Your car sounds a lot like my dreams! You have to post a video of the engine sounds.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: cepak ()
Date: March 22, 2017 10:56AM

Don't paint the deck lid. I like the look the way it is, and paint will just add weight. Besides, most people have to pay extra on their new cars to show the exposed carbon fiber components.

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2017 10:58AM by cepak.

Date: March 22, 2017 07:17PM

Mike and Mike -

It's a longer ball-joint sold by speed shops (Speedway, Summit, JEGs, etc.) for stock cars and dirt track cars They are much heavier than the front of a Corvair.

I've been running it for several years now with no ill effect. With the Wilwoods and the slicks, the car brakes harder than any other Corvair I have ever driven. As you know, in racing you rarely brake lightly. The shaft of the stud is much stouter than a stock one.

I don't think bending is an issue. The ball-joint and the custom upper A-arm allow me to get the camber gain I need in the front. There were other solutions for proper camber gain in the back. But now all four tires treads stay flat on the road surface in hard cornering. Stock, or even lowered, Corvair geometry cannot do that.

Bob -

If I get things done and get back out on the track in a timely fashion this year, I may come down to Portland for an event. I have family down there.

Cepak -

I know, but the fabric that the maker used is blue (hard to see in the photos) and my car is red. They don't go that well together.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: March 22, 2017 07:39PM

Before this round of weight reduction the car tipped the scales at 2380. I think it should come in at about 2290 at this point. The car still has carpet and headliner, stock dash and glove box, front and door glass.

Lightened items, aside from the rear and quarter windows, include: rear seat delete; heater box, hoses and plastic duct delete; radio delete; racing seats; vented, drilled and scalloped rotors; aluminum calipers; bumper delete; light-weight starter; heim-joint lower control arms; lightened rear trailing arms; hollow front sway bar; small battery; and all extraneous body trim (I know, not much weight there).

The Keiser racing wheels and the Hoosier slicks will save another 40-50 lbs. on the street wheels and tires. That will further reduce the 2290 number.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 22, 2017 07:46PM

Did you have the Upper A-Arms made or are they off the shelf items?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: March 23, 2017 07:31AM

Look like my upper control arms! They were made by a fellow here in Portland, Eric Aos. 1bad67 I believe is his screen name. The arms take a chevelle upper ball joint which is beefier than a corvair ball joint. I'm running standard length in mine.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Attachments:
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.