home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
YH carb throttle body sloppy linkage
Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: March 20, 2017 04:51PM

Rebuilding a 1966 turbo YH carb and have just noticed a large amount of front to back/back to front loose movement on the chrome idle plate that is welded to the tip of the throttle body shaft. Is there a way to provide impact to this joining weld to reduce this sloppy movement? I would like to retain the stock weld look to the throttle body. All comments are appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: YH carb throttle body sloppy linkage
Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: March 20, 2017 05:43PM

the factory stuff had the shaft peened over the lever......they get loose.....like yours is now.

since you want the factory look you got limited choices.

a drop of ca glue between the lever & the shaft? it may work for a little while & get loose again.

some silver solder? youd have to remove the shaft from the carb & solder from the back of the shaft.

the best fix is to have the lever brazed to the shaft & then rechrome.

-Scott V.

Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: March 21, 2017 07:05AM

I have never used the product called JB Weld. Is is possible a small amount of this product could be attached to the backside do the chrome idler plate without removing the throttle shaft to stableize the plate to the shaft? Will the smoothness of the chrome plating on the idler plate and throttle shaft prevent the jb weld from attaching to these parts? Just a thought. Trying to keep the stock look to the throttle body.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 21, 2017 08:25AM

Hi Tom: I sent you a PM last night but I see you haven't read it yet. It stated that I would check my YH parts this morning. I did and have nothing usable.

I doubt jbweld will work. There is a lot of pressure on the arm. It has to work the parts inside the carb while being pulled and pushed by springs. Plus virtually all have worn shafts. I hope you get yours fixed

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: March 21, 2017 11:19AM

Clark's sells a replacement shaft that has a screw on the end to fix this issue. Page 49 of the catalog.

While you are at it (if you want to spend $$ for the tool) get this kit and sleeve the shaft for better sealing/less vacuum leakage. [www.throttleshaftrepair.com]

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 11:20AM by Nickshu.

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: March 22, 2017 08:48AM

id imagine a little isolated heat with a pen torch and quick dab of silver solder will have you set for quite some time.

Posted by: Wrencher ()
Date: March 29, 2017 07:07PM

I have that shaft in my spare parts, I'll have go get it and check the condition.
The problem is common throughout the GM line, I have fixed multiple carbs over the years by brazing them, but that may not meet your standards. let me know if you want me to check for it.

Hans

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.