home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Seths Electronic Distrubutor Pack for my Rampie
Posted by: punkin ()
Date: March 20, 2017 04:36PM

Hi guys just a quick one to say how happy i am with the new parts and the service i got from Seth.

Got the rampie back from the mechanics this morning and i couldn't believe the difference that it had made getting the electronic ignition installed. The car went twice as good as it used to and the performance was great!

The only trouble was the oil pressure light came on after a couple of miles, luckily i was nearly home but that last 1/4 mile was enough to get the motor to start rattling.
I turned it off and called the mechanic who said he would drop by my place when he was on his way home from work tonight. He said the distrubutor drove the oil pump, so that points to what may be a problem, hopefully an easy one to fix?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seths Electronic Distrubutor Pack for my Rampie
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 20, 2017 04:41PM

Should be an easy external fix..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 20, 2017 08:28PM

I really want to know what has happened here!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: March 20, 2017 09:13PM

I'll let you know as soon as i know mate. He should be dropping round this afternoon in 2 or 3 hours.

I put the post up to compliment you on your great product and service not a s a complaint. The distributor made such a big difference to the performance that i wouldn't have thought it was the same vehicle.

Seth, the cap should it wobble as the motor runs? Thinking it's not set in right.

Date: March 20, 2017 10:11PM

Well - It did travel all the way to Australia. Did your mechanic check it out, physically before installing it? Perhaps it was damaged in transit. I hope not. The cap should not wobble. At all.

Seth Emerson

Date: March 20, 2017 10:15PM

punkin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> distributor made such a big difference to the
> performance that i wouldn't have thought it was
> the same vehicle.

=============================================

Goes to show how outmoded the Curve of our Factory distributors are especially after 50 years..

Most likely the distributor isn't fully seated...approx 1/2" down more to engage the oil pump.

..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Date: March 20, 2017 10:15PM

Ahh, thanks mate. Maybe installed wrong, i'll make sure he finds out what's going on.

Date: March 20, 2017 11:57PM

Mechanic has just been and pulled the distributor back out and it's great news.
There's a roll pin on the shaft that holds a washer and spring up on the bottom of the distributor housing that's cut a little short and allowing the distributor to pop up he says.

20 cent pin knocked out and replaced with a slightly longer one and he'll bring the distributor back tomorrow and refit.

AHappyManAgainPunkin

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 22, 2017 07:07AM

I'm trying to envision the roll pin shearing and the distributor gear trying to climb the crank gear to the point of coming out of the oil pump. Make sure to do some close inspection in the rotor and cap area, along with pick-up. Especially since things were moving around to where you saw a noticeable wobble.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: March 22, 2017 08:10PM

Something does not sound right here...........did the top shroud get clearanced for the dist and cap? Also, IF the upper roll pin came out and dist shaft did get pushed up and out of oil pump, the dist cap and rotor would be broken and/or damaged!

Date: March 22, 2017 08:31PM

I haven't got it back yet, they are having a hard time finding a roll pin the right size.

It didn't look to me like the roll pin had sheared, more like it was just flush when it was installed. I'm not a mechanic though, far from it.

There is some damage to the rotor and cap, the mechanic said he has taken a lot of photos and is concerned that there may have been some engine damage done in the 3 blocks i drove it home.

Date: March 22, 2017 09:03PM

No damage to the engine if you drove slowly and easily..... the rattling was the lifters clattering...

Expect a lot of clattering when first retarted.... like maybe even an hour before all 12 pump back up.. keep it below 2000 rpm until they do..

Date: March 22, 2017 09:16PM

Thanks mate, i appreciate the reassurance. When it's that hard to get parts here that we can't even find a simple roll pin i'm scared shitless of damaging it.

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: March 22, 2017 09:17PM

If the distributor shaft lifted the timing changed and the rattling could have been just detonation. I'm curious how much a shaft can actually lift before there is no more spark at all.
Curious.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: March 23, 2017 11:05AM

Well it fired back up with no rattling. He pulled the oil filter first and it was full of oil, so we started and she purred. I have to drop it down their shop this morning for a fine tune and to get the electric chokes working and hopefully i'm off and racing.

Big thanks to Seth for all his help, little thing like this could happen anytime and i would buy from him again in a heartbeat. Just good people round here.

Date: March 23, 2017 11:24AM

Great news... but too bad you cannot get your mechanic to tell us what was wrong.

Date: March 23, 2017 11:26AM

I thought i did, but i'll ask him again. What exactly should i ask?

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: March 23, 2017 11:29AM

And Electric chokes? I'd like to see your setup for those.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
Now I have 1965 convertible as well, got it running in June, autocrossed in July 2016 at the convention!

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Re: Seths Electronic Distributor Pack for my Rampie
Date: March 23, 2017 12:29PM

Ref: electric chokes. He has a pair of Weber 32/36 DGV carb on the motor. When the distributor was shipped to Australia, I put a "sacrificial" OEM-style cap in place, and shipped him a pair of the HEI caps, separately in the box, well protected. When the package arrived, he noted the box had been treated pretty poorly and the "sacrificial" cap had been broken. As I told him when he noted it to me, it is possible that other damage was done in transit. (Roll pin?). I would normally just ship him some more parts, but Australia is a long ways away. PS - I also have two distributors shipped to New Zealand.

Seth Emerson

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: March 23, 2017 12:33PM

X2 what larry202br said. Would like to see your electric choke set-up. Glad you were able to get things operational. Seth is one of the many talented and knowledgeable folk on this Forum that also offers great products, along with his timely tech advice to us less knowledgeable folk.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.