home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
New guy question-- engine rebuild
Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: March 20, 2017 11:33AM

Is there a good book or manual you recommend that would provide a new guy a detailed process for rebuilding a corvair engine--- I've got the "bug" and want to buy a 140 engine and rebuild it--- I did try a search and I couldn't find an answer---

Thanks so much!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New guy question-- engine rebuild
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 20, 2017 11:42AM

A 65 GM Corvair shop manual is a must in my mind. Also, many books listed at the top of the forum in the FAQs under books. Bob Helt's are among the most helpful.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 20, 2017 11:50AM

Factory manuals are written for the professional mechanics of the time..but still the most widely used. found everywhere

Bobhelt@aol.com has written several books.... I think his "The Classic Corvair" details Maintenance.

Seth Emerson recently updated Bill Fisher's "Howto Hot Rod Corvair engines", also widely available.

And Richard Finch wrote How to Keep Your Corvair Alive: 1960-1969 still available.

And of course US!!! gg Lots of knowledge here!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 20, 2017 02:55PM

Good books recommended here, but they are no substitute for experience. If you have no previous engine building experience then the "books" aren't going to be able to do that job. Everyone needs a teacher or mentor to get them started and help out when things don't go right.

I've bought several "rebuilt" engines because they never ran right. I always find mistakes , sometimes simple, other times they caused a lot of damage (I don't pay much for "rebuilt" engines that don't run).

You don't have to be a genius to rebuild an engine, but it's not like hammering together a wooden box. Skills are needed.

Find a good club and mentor to help, or let someone who knows what they are doing rebuild your engine.

Posted by: 7004doorL ()
Date: March 20, 2017 06:36PM

The copy of "How to keep your Corvair alive", 8th Edition I have says to torque the heads, then install push-rod tubes.

I was unable to do this and so I loosened all the head nuts and removed the upper row of head nuts and the plates with the upside down "U" and facing you.

Then I installed the push rod tubes and the plates and upper row of nuts which are also the rocker arm studs also and then torqued the heads down.

I could not figure out any other way. I had the 1960 manual. But was going by the other book.

And I must have forgot because several years ago I replaced the Push Rod Tube
O Rings and even the lifters with the engine in the car.

Can you torque the heads before installing the push rod tubes?
(Before push rod tubes install the cylinder baffles).
I remembered that part.

Mike
1960 4 Door
80 HP PG

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 20, 2017 10:49PM

Tubes must be installed before head torque sequence.

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984. Have personally restored 20 or more Vairs a number of them ground up.

Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: March 21, 2017 07:29PM

Thanks for all the replies--- great advice!

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.