home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
crank gear keyway leakage...
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: March 19, 2017 11:37AM

Hey everyone, wanted to ask the forum for advice/opinions. I posted a little bit ago, re: my oil leak in the bellhousing area. Looks like flex plate bolts to crank needed more sealing, but not sure. On the advice from someone here, it looks like the keyway for the crank gear was leaking a little. Someone also said that the gear may be loosening, if its leaking through the keyway.

Any thoughts on TIG fusion welding a small bead, crank to gear, while its still installed in engine??? I was thinking a series of short welds, using a pattern, to keep movement of gear and heat from becoming an issue. What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crank gear keyway leakage...
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 19, 2017 11:59AM

There is a paper gasket between the crankshaft and the gear as well as the shop manual suggests putting some sealer there as I recall.

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: March 19, 2017 12:14PM

We weld the crank gears to the cranks for the race car motors to keep them from slipping. After you weld the gear, you need to machine the end of the gear, or your flywheel or flex plate will not seat on the end of the gear properly.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Date: March 19, 2017 12:17PM

Than makes sense, even if its just a .001" off, it will wobble. Good point, and thank you.

-m

texas yenko dude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We weld the crank gears to the cranks for the race
> car motors to keep them from slipping. After you
> weld the gear, you need to machine the end of the
> gear, or your flywheel or flex plate will not seat
> on the end of the gear properly.

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Fresno, CA

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: March 19, 2017 04:45PM

Viewmaster, I've seen several leak from the keyway. I assume it a stock street car. I would just clean the area and spread enough RTV sealer on the key and around the seam so that flex plate will squish it into the joint when it's bolted in place, along with sealer on the bolt threads.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 19, 2017 05:02PM

[www.loctite.com.au]

If you can get the keyway area clean, this stuff will most likely seal it. It wicks in and sets up, sometimes more than one shot until it stops soaking in the crack. I have even stopped leaks in alloy wheels.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date: March 20, 2017 06:27AM

Thank you Jim, Texas Yenko, Dan and J.O., today, im gonna clean the area up, make sure of no oil residue, and use some sort of sealer on the keyway, and redo the seal on the flex plate bolts, and get it back together. It is a stock/street vehicle, and needs a freshening up...but i think im gonna build a 95HP replacement, then when i am done do a swap. Until then, ill button this up, add some intake valve seals, replace the a-arm bushings, and drive on.

Thanks again guys, this forum rocks.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Fresno, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 06:28AM by viewmaster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.