home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM door removal
Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 04:34AM

What is the easiest method to remove EM coupe doors? I have done many LM's but this is my first early? Thanks, Jerry

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

66 Monza Conv.,110,PG

63 Rampside, 4 speed, 110

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM door removal
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: March 19, 2017 05:53AM

Remove bolts from door,then don't drop it.

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: March 19, 2017 06:13AM

Jerry, there are two ways. One is to take the doors off the hinges and the other is taking the doors off with the hinges attached. Both have their "issues".

To take the doors loose from the hinges you will have to remove the Phillips head screws attaching the hinges to the doors. This is a tight area to work. You probably can use a large Phillips head bit. A bit this size usually works with a 5/16" socket. You can possibly get to two of the three screws with the bit inserted in a socket using a 1/4" ratchet, but even this is tight and the bit tends to walk out of the screw head with the pressure it will take to break them loose. I recently ended up grinding a bit about half way down (shorter) to get more room to work. Getting to the third and innermost screw is tougher. You might try a 5/16" socket-head wrench with the bit to get it loose. An offset screwdriver might work too, but the one I bought from Harbor Freight broke on the first screw I tried to turn (I know - cheap HF tools!).

To take the door off with hinges attached, you'll need to take off the fresh air vent grilles and kick panels. Then the defroster hoses need to be removed (or destroyed as in my case). Once you do this you can get to the bolts for the hinges, which should be 9/16" hex head unless someone has changed them in the past to 1/2" hex head. The bottom hinges will probably have reinforcing plates on two of the bolts, which use little longer bolts. It may help to take the fresh air vent push/pull knob loose from the dash to make more room to get to the upper hinge bolts.

If you are going to reinstall the doors, the second method will allow you to drill aligning holes through the body into the hinges, then you can drill aligning holes through the hinges into the doors after the doors are off.

Wade Lanning

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: March 19, 2017 06:16AM

By the way, I use a floor jack to support the doors as I take them loose. If the windows and all the mechanisms are still inside the doors they tend to be a bit heavy, so help from someone else can be beneficial.

Wade

Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 06:21AM

Thanks for the reply Wade. I guess I knew the answer but just wanted to see if anyone removed the door from the hinges and how it was done. I would prefer this method over destroying the heater hoses. I will give it a try. Thanks, Jerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.