home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Have Corvair Values Gone Up Lately?
Posted by: crtoons ()
Date: March 17, 2017 03:46PM

I was looking on the Hagerty website yesterday trying to do some research on the possible value of my '68 convertible and even it's lowest rating of #4 - a daily driver in need of some work and repair was around the $11,000 range! Three years ago when I bought the car a #4 rated '68 vert was valued in the high $3,00 - low $4,000 range! Is this upswing in value across the board for Corvairs? If it's what's happened, great! Just a little surprised is all. Anyone out ther have any comments or thoughts on this? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have Corvair Values Gone Up Lately?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 17, 2017 04:15PM

Your '68 price may have risen due to the low volume the last two model years...

Search ebay for Corvairs cars not parts

Then in the left side of the page scroll down "Completed Auctions"...

This will show all auctions.... whether they sold / and at what price or didn't sell...

This will give you a general idea..

You can also do this at B-J and Mecum auctions..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 17, 2017 04:56PM

Remember too that a value 'suggested' is not necessarily what the car will actually bring.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: March 17, 2017 04:58PM

They are all rare until you go to sell it, then you find a good dozen just like it all priced a few grand cheaper.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: March 17, 2017 05:12PM

Asking prices have gone up but selling prices are weak. Great cars still go for better money.

jeff

66 Corsa 140 4 spd
Houston, Tx

Posted by: crtoons ()
Date: March 17, 2017 05:21PM

Hi Steve:

True! I'm just surprised that there was that big of a jump for that level of condition for the '68 in general. Sounds a little high? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get that but I know that's not going to happen!

Thanks for your reply!

Best,

Shaun

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 17, 2017 05:28PM

The price curve of cars can get wonky when a couple #1 examples get bid up at an auction.

Also estimators tend to look at a "group" say 65-69 Corvairs as all the same when in fact a 1966 Corsa Turbo convertible is going to sell for more money vs. a 1968 Monza convertible 110HP with a PG.

I look around at prices for something comparable, then I get down to the ultimate price calculator - "A car is worth what the buyer and seller agree on".

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 05:47PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your '68 price may have risen due to the low
> volume the last two model years...
>
>
> Search ebay for Corvairs cars not parts
>
> Then in the left side of the page scroll down
> "Completed Auctions"...
>
> This will show all auctions.... whether they sold
> / and at what price or didn't sell...
>
>
> This will give you a general idea..
>
> You can also do this at B-J and Mecum auctions..

There's also a SOLD option which gets rid of all those that the seller wasn't willing to let go and only show you what actually sold.

Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: March 17, 2017 06:54PM

moomba32 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MattNall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Your '68 price may have risen due to the low
> > volume the last two model years...
> >
> >
> > Search ebay for Corvairs cars not parts
> >
> > Then in the left side of the page scroll down
> > "Completed Auctions"...
> >
> > This will show all auctions.... whether they
> sold
> > / and at what price or didn't sell...
> >
> >
> > This will give you a general idea..
> >
> > You can also do this at B-J and Mecum
> auctions..
>
> There's also a SOLD option which gets rid of all
> those that the seller wasn't willing to let go and
> only show you what actually sold.

Even the Sold option listed cars often return for sale due to dead beat bidders.

jeff

66 Corsa 140 4 spd
Houston, Tx

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: March 18, 2017 10:35PM

It is very likely.

A strong Stock Market (Dow jones industrials) has better placed retirees into a position of spending more on non important, leisure-fun, and hobby related stuff.
Thus, you have more competition for the NICER (cars needing very little work) vehicles. These limited rust and NO Rust cars are in limited supply these days.
Folks that have them and are still in good enough health to enjoy them are doing just that. A Rising Tide Lifts ALL BOATS and the rising stock market of the past nine or ten months has given these Corvair owners more "pocket jingle money" that they can spend to upgrade their cars, e.g. BROWN EFI & dis, seating from 1997 BMW or 1995 Mercedes, repaint, new convertible top, upgrade to 15 inch wheels and Michelin or Bridgestone tires........stuff like that.
The very WARM winter has also proved to be a windfall as home heating costs have been a mere fraction of what one would have normally expected.
The Corvair, particularly the late model Corvertible as well as the late model coupe have been getting much positive exposure and gaining interest and much attention from those who have never noticed the Corvair before now. This and the fact that LOW COST TECHNOLOGY exists that BOLTS-ON and completely transforms the Corvair into a Reliable, DRIVE IT ANYWHERE, IN ANY WEATHER, AT ANY ALTITUDE, WITHOUT WORRIES thanks to BROWN Electronic Fuel Injection and Distributorless Ignition. One small step for Ted, has made for a Giant Leap in Corvair Reliabilty!!! Reliability = desireability and prospective buyers of said vehicle. Reliability = more fun per mile, and a happy spouse saying "IT IS A FUN, GREAT LITTLE CAR" instead of the typical " OH HONEY, NO MORE SMELLING GASOLINE and $135 TOWING CHARGES EVERY MONTH, IT'S TIME TO SELL THAT UNRELIABLE PIECE OF S--T!"
Ah Yes, The Corvair ain't what it once was, and that is a great improvement. Nobody wants a POS. Nobody wants something that is only reliable about 30% of the time. Nobody wants something with carburettor and dizzy that can't be made to equal the operational quality of a modern car.
This is not just a Corvair issue. Visit the other "classic" car forums.
The Corvair community is LUCKY that they have a GREAT and simple EFI/dis system that is extremely inexpensive and available from the major Corvair parts supplier.
The Late Model Corvair has always had adequate Brakes, and a good looking BODY, but like all Corvairs, reliabilty was less than it was for the sixties era Dart/Valiant, Falcon, ramblerAmerican, VW and ChevyII.
For less than $2000, one can add Modern Technology (ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION & Distributorless Ignition) and have a Corvair that is extremely reliable.
This was not possible more than a decade ago, unless you were capable of building your own EFI system.
Corvair values today for (RUST FREE/very little rust) Late Model Convertibles are MASSIVE BARGAINS, provided it does not have the 140hp or 180hp engines!
Both of the transaxles: 4 speed MANUAL and POWERGLIDE Automatic , are excellent and extremely durable. For MANUAL TRAN. Cars: choose Dale Mfg. Bolted Flywheel or copy of the Dale style bolted Flywheel instead of the Original equipment GM riveted flywheel which is garbage, as it is built to fail.
REBUILD THE CHEVROLET AIRCOOLED FLAT-Six(not a poverty, screwball reee-bulled)
Use the best methods and the Best parts.
Oil Leaks will be minimized.
THERE AIN'T NO WAY TO DEVELOP THE HORSEPOWER THAT Japanese 4 cylinder cars are capable of, and there is no way to develop the horsepower that CAMARO and MUSTANGS are capable of.
So what, who cares if a Kia, Hyundai, Scion, Toyota, Nissan, Honda can SMOKE YOUR 180 hp Turbocharged Corsa? Better technology and better engineering and so much advancement in automotive engineering since the mid-sixties....
You can make your CORVAIR fifty times more reliable than it was in 1965 or 1969, which wasn't particularly reliable at that time compared to its competitors. Your CORVAIR can make that GIANT LEAP to RELIABILITY.
Sixties era cars (the best ones) are much less reliable than cars of today.
Many sixties era cars are not so lucky. The CORVAIR does have Modern Technology that bolts-on and transforms it from a car that you wouldn't trust to drive everywhere to a car that can be driven anywhere with reliabilty.
This has been a major factor of why folks are now looking seriously to possibly owning a Late Model Corvair. The car is nice looking. It is extremely inexpensive relative to other classic cars. The Corvair can be completely RELIABLE if equipped with bolt-on modern technology.......Brown EFI & dis. There are a great many other classic cars that cannot yet make such a statement: MGB, MGA, TR-6, Alfa Romeo Spider, Fiat 124 Spider, Triumph Spitfire, Triumph Tr-7, Fiat X-19, Lancia Zagato, and many many more nice looking and otherwise fun cars of the past. All of them nice looking and fun but quality/reliability was never part of the equation for them and still today this is true as no solutions other than engine transplants can help them. Corvair does have the perfect modern solution, bolt on EFI & dis, that is extremely inexpensive at less than $2000. Yeah the old Dart/Valiant, Falcons, Rambler, Chevy II were somewhat reliable for Sixties era standards, but you're still left with cars that look like Dog Doo buy today's standards. The late model Corvair looks good, even today, and with EFI/dis, it will be more reliable than any FALCON, Valiant-Dart, Chevy II, American that has a carburettor.
YOU WILL CONTINUE TO SEE Corvair Values Rise, UNTIL the gap narrows between a rust bucket Camaro/rustbucket Mustang and a very very nice Late model Corvair. Yeah, the Camaro & Mustangs will always likely have superior mkt values but the Corvair has the looks, even if it was a "junkmobile' by comparison in the eyes of those that bought CAMARO/MUSTANG in the sixties.
Many of the old classic cars still have loyal followings, though the Japanese in the seventies with the reliable 240z,260z and 280z and Rx7 converted many buyers of those Italian, German, British, and American cars, and in the Spring of 1989 introduction of the Mx5 MIATA as 1990 model, comepletely re-wrote the book on 2 seater roadster sports car. The Miata was Totally reliable and didn't ever leak oil, and didn't require having your Tow-truck driver on the speed dial. Quality engineering and precise execution is always better!
Be Vairy Thankful that you have it available to you with Bolt-On ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION and DISTRIBUTORLESS IGNITION. Lots of other old classic car owners are not so lucky! As more EFI Corvairs get seen at local car shows and gatherings, more and more people will look seriously at Late Model Corvair CONVERTIBLES and COUPES because they are RELIABLE with EFI and DIS. They are relatively inexpensive today and with EFI/dis are fun to drive WITHOUT THE PROBLEMS THAT PLAGUE Original Equipment Rochester HV Carburettor equipped Corvairs.

..................Now the most important question might be:

WHERE DOES ONE FIND A Rust-Free Late Model Convertible 95hp or 110 hp four speed or Powerglide Automatic?

Ya might want to start singin' that old Albert Hammond #1 hit song from about 1972!

Sooner or later, you will find one because the age of the typical owner of such a Corvair is above sixty five, if not closer to seventy-five or eighty!

Any time that you have nice cars available below ten grand, and those cars can be made perfectly Reliable for less than $17k to $19k TOTAL COST, it is a huge bargain. Other cool cars are far more costly. Consider buying a Seventies or eighties 450SL/560SL Mercedes Benz. Though these can be found for between 12k and $15k, you Will Spend at least Several Thousand dollars per year, just to barely maintain a high mileage 450SL. An engine rebuild will exceed the purchase price that you paid for said vehicle. Sure, you are now seeing engine transplants into the inexpensive sub $10,000 450SL/560SL because it is cost effective for backyard dIY to install Chevy small block V-8 (use front sump that sixties ChevyII had) and Chevy Automatic, either the old TH-350 turbohydramatic or one of the late overdrive automatics--------or install 302/5.0 Ford and ancient C-4 or AOD. It kills the re-sale value to Almost Nothing but if you're faced with a high mileage, unreliable money pit that will cost far more than its best resale value to repair, then such a transplant is not absurd, it might be the only practical solution for what might otherwise be a nice looking parts car.
The Mercedes-Benz 450SL/560SL is/was a very nice automobile. It was a very expensive automobile. Once such a car reaches HIGH MILEAGE, it becomes unreliable as the 4th and 5th owners had deferred needed maintenance because the servicing costs were so high. Now at its 6th owner, such a car is in failing health and needs everything, yet it still looks great inside and out. Somebody that buys such a "prize" will spend a fortune and never get the car back to the reliability that it once had for the first two affluent/wealthy owners. The car becomes a YARD CAR, until it is later sold as a parts car.
The CORVAIR has good parts availabilty and though parts are more expensive than for vintage MUSTANG/CAMARO/MGB/VOLKSWAGEN parts, the Corvair parts are not terribly expensive (still very reasonable). A professional engine rebuild can be done for about five thousand dollars, using the best parts. Much like Volkswagens, Corvair engines are simple enough for backyard Do It Yourselfers to tackle. In fact probably 90% of all running Corvair engines are the work of do it yourselfers, doing it patchwork on the cheap.........just doing it often when some component breaks down.....
The Corvair will be a fun car for someone that enjoys getting his/her hands dirty. Motohead is the prime example. If you employ the best solutions/fixes and go with EFI/dis, you can have a Corvair that does not require you to repeatedly work on it.........it will be extremely reliable.
Very few antique classic cars can be purchased as inexpensively as the Corvair, and then rebuilt and improved such that it will be entirely RELIABLE. You can do all this today for almost nothing today (less than $20,000 Total Everything)!
Even the roughest beater Corvair won't break the bank if you want a hands on learning experience. You could always use such a beater as a PARTS car when you locate a nice rust free AZ/Southern Calif car.
Whatever the situation might be, you will gain an education and enjoy your Corvair learning experience. The folks on this forum can get any Corvair running. There are a few folks here that can transform the worst basket cases into great unbelievable examples. The smartest and most resourceful MacGyvers of any automobile community are within the Corvair Owners Community. Nobody is better. This is why the Corvair is a RELIABLE car in the year 2017.
You don't have to spend a fortune to have fun.
This is what folks are realizing today and the Corvair is getting more eyes on it than it has had in recent years.
You gotta remember none of those Corvairs that made all of those WORST CARS EVER LISTS, were equipped with Brown Electronic Fuel Injection and Distributorless Ignition. You do need the computer controlled electronic fuel injection and distributorless ignition for RELIABILTY and Driveability. It is just a phone call away to CLARKS CORVAIR PARTS and it costs less than two grand!

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 18, 2017 11:26PM

Oh gosh after reading all that I just ran out and bought the brown system for all my cars! Thanks j3m for convincing me my old Corvair that runs flawlessly with carbs is actually a giant POS, I would have never know'n my Corvair that has never left me stranded was such a UN-reliable pile of junk until reading your post! How could I have been so Stupid driving these cars my entire life without realizing what junk they are without EFI, thank you so so much for educating me! eye rolling smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 19, 2017 04:40AM

It appears that the LM 4 doors are starting to increase in price?

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 19, 2017 04:44AM

After skimming through j3m's epistle I am aware of several things. First one is that it would be nice if he had condensed it down to a more digestible slab of verbiage. He definitely would make a good senator, as he could set records for filibustering.

But now that I have belabored that point, I'd like to say that the Corvair has always been under-valued. That is (I feel) because of the negative effect of Ralph Nader and that sorry piece of our history being dredged up every time there was even a mention of the Corvair. If you have noticed, Hemmings has not only given us a lot of free (and positive, too!) publicity, and never once mentioned Ralphie. We owe them a great debt for having been such a good influence.

I feel and have always felt that the Corvair deserves to sell for not very much less than the Camaro. Maybe that is finally happening. If so, I shall go break open a bottle of the bubbly! grinning smiley

-Mark

Date: March 19, 2017 04:49AM

I certainly hope so, rnch. The 4 doors, especially the LM's, are really coming into good demand lately. Seems quite a few people have discovered them, having become aware of their many good qualities. smileys with beer

-Mark (keeper of the 4 door registry)

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 19, 2017 09:18AM

I am glad you got that DaveM. (and I'm sure Mr. Brown is). I don't have the stomach to get passed the first sentence.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 19, 2017 09:32AM

I just smashed all my carbs with my big hammer as to not be burdened with them any longer! drinking smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 19, 2017 09:40AM

Which big hammer? And thanks for not burdening someone else with all that stuff.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: March 19, 2017 09:53AM

j3m is a troll. Troll's become quite excited when someone takes notice of their handy work. If you ignore trolls, they'll eventually disappear. j3m's meandering diatribes are nothing more than an expression of inadequacy.

Chet in Ramona

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: March 19, 2017 10:41AM

The correct answer is "its in the eye of the beholder!"

I was very lucky to get a really good '67 4-Door Monza last year. Mark helped be get it home. I guess I am "lucky!?" The engine runs great (darn carbs just keep working), the Distributor hasn't 'blown up,' the Powerglide is smooth and the "Corvair" has not 'flipped over' once since I got it!! eye popping smiley

I paid the same amount for this car that I would have paid for it NEW in 1967!

When Mark brought the car to me (he provided pick-up and delivery at a very reasonable price) he did tell me that it had one "bad" tire. Turns out it had a bad valve stem! $4.75 at my favorite Tire Store and I was off and running.

You want to buy it? The cost just went WAY UP! I love 'more doors' and was looking for a '66 (that 'used to be' my favorite year) but could not walk away from this '67!

Having just retired I have plenty of "time" (but limited funds) to work on it. I have done a few items that were necessary (replacing missing grommets and seals). I have a list of items I intend to "improve" as I go along.

My 2 and 3 year old grandsons LOVE the Corvair. I intend that it shall be theirs someday (hopefully many years from now). grinning smiley

So, in "my eye" the Corvair Values HAVE gone up!

JMHO!

Regards,

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT (Member of CORSA & Circle City Corvairs)
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
Current Project: 1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: March 19, 2017 01:50PM

My first car was a '66 Monza 4 door, maroon w/black interior, typical 110/glide. And as great as the '66's are, I found the '67's to be that much better, and even more special. And considering the scarcity of them, I'd say YES the value of them are UP! Or should be. grinning smiley Way up!

Love 'em!

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.