Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How do I remove shift lever from base? Late model Monza
Posted by: Kevin H ()
Date: March 16, 2017 08:39PM

Hey guys, any tips on removing a shift lever from the base/housing? I figure the retainer just needs to rotate so the tabs are free, but its not happening. Any special tools? I have a rechromed lever I want to switch out, and also maybe put a new nylon bushing and spring in there. Thank you

Kevin in Pasadena, CA

67 Monza 110 Vert

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I remove shift lever from base? Late model Monza
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 16, 2017 08:58PM

One of the tabs has a slight upward protrusion that locks into the casting. As you thought, it has to rotate. You will have to push that down (compressing the spring a little more underneath), in order for it to move/rotate. If you feel frustrated, just wait until you have to re-assemble it. You will need three hands. Anybody make a special tool to do this? I would buy one! Good luck, be careful!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 16, 2017 08:59PM

Look in 1965 shop manual pg 7-9 for instructions and pics.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Kevin H ()
Date: March 16, 2017 10:52PM

Thank you Seth and Steve, awesome, very much appreciated!

Kevin in Pasadena, CA

67 Monza 110 Vert

Posted by: Vin ()
Date: March 17, 2017 04:11AM

I just got a PVC pipe and slid that over the end and pushed down to compress the spring then turned it. Worked great and the PVC won't scratch anything. I did the same to reinstall. However then I initially had too much grease and it slipped a bit when I pushed down and twisted but I just wiped off the excess grease and then it didn't slip when I turned it.

Date: March 17, 2017 04:27AM

I just went to look at the PVC pipe I used to get the size. It is a 2 inch pipe with a 1 1/2 inch adapter on the end. I don't recall for sure which end was the best fit on the part that you push down on but I am pretty sure it was the 1 1/2 side.

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: March 17, 2017 10:15AM

Is the procedure the same for EM?

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 10:28AM

Kevin H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys, any tips on removing a shift lever from
> the base/housing? I figure the retainer just needs
> to rotate so the tabs are free, but its not
> happening. Any special tools? I have a rechromed
> lever I want to switch out, and also maybe put a
> new nylon bushing and spring in there. Thank you

It's pretty tough without a way to press and hold it down while you turn the retainer. I use a press to keep pressure on it and turn and it comes apart clean grease repress and turn it good to go!

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: March 18, 2017 09:24AM

Stick the shifter assembly upside-down into a vice. Then, push and twist the retainer ring. I use a piece of 1.25" ID PVC pipe to push and twist the retainer. Sometimes it needs a final nudge with the blade of a screw driver. Works every time.

Look inside. You'll see that the shift lever rocks backward and forward on two steel pins that are pressed into the sides of the casting. Most often, they are worn out of round. If so, tap them out with a punch, reverse them, and push them back in again. This will expose the unworn part of the pins. Even better - install new pins.

The pins inside the shifter housing are often overlooked by people who are troubleshooting shift linkage problems. It's amazing how much of a difference these two little pins make in fixing floppy shifters.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 18, 2017 01:49PM

What Alan said, but I'll add that the pins are not a standard dimension. Slightly undersized, but you can buy soft steel rod at at the hardware store and if you don't have a lathe, then you can sand the 5/16" rods to proper diameter (take off about 0.040". DO NOT FORCE THE PINS IN or will crack the housing. Yes you can open the housing holes, but not recommended (holes broach a little every time you install the pins - better to reduce the rod slightly to fit the hole snug).

DO NOT USED A HARD STEEL ROD to make pins. Yes they will eventually wear out, but they are designed as a sacrifice part so the shifter rod cup (pressed on and UNOBTAINABLE) slots DO NOT wear.

An easy test to check the pins is with the shifter in the car. Grab the shifter in neutral and try to rotate it about the vertical axis. It should move very little.

I've rebuilt about six shifters over the years and it's makes for a nice improvement. They are hard to lubricate assembled, you can drill and install a zerk fitting - check the inside for a void that holds grease.

Date: March 18, 2017 06:37PM

If you decide to turn the pins around or replace I would just add that you should heat the base up with a propane torch and when your spit sizzles on the aluminum then tap the pins out with a punch. The heat expands the aluminum and releases the pins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.