home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM Instrument panel lighting
Posted by: owen ()
Date: March 16, 2017 06:59PM

Does the EM/FC instrument panel have good lighting? The gauges in my '69 UltraVan
have very poor lighting, and I am thinking of converting to the EM panel like the earliest UltraVans had.

Thanks!
Owen
UV500

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM Instrument panel lighting
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 16, 2017 07:09PM

Some are happy.... many just use the new LED's.... big difference from 2 candlepower to 3 / 4 /5 cp bulbs.

Hard to find ones that are dimmable.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 07:16PM

Hi Owen,

I found my two FC's instrument panels to be a little on the dark side, so I installed a few LEDs (green- just a matter of taste) and they are much brighter now. With the LEDs they are very easy to see at night. Perhaps you could switch your gauges to LEDs too?

I took a picture for you, but my fuel gauge is brighter at night. I took the picture in my garage with daylight (and the car isn't running, thus the warning light).

Jon
Enrolled in the Culver City Automotive School of Hard Knocks
============================================================
Member of South Coast Corsa
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 16, 2017 08:17PM

The instrument panel lighting, while never bright, can be adequate if you make sure the correct bulbs are installed (I often find lower power bulbs installed).

You can also clean, and if needed, paint the inside of the housing. Often it is dirty or rusted.

And of course make sure electrical connections are good, including the ground.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 04:23AM

Posted by: owen ()
Date: March 17, 2017 05:13AM

That looks pretty good! It sounds like you used LED bulbs in the existing sockets?

The problem with my gauges isn't that they aren't bright enough, it is that none of the light actually illuminates the dial. If I made them brighter the glare would just be worse.

Thanks!
Owen

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 12:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.