home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
(Soapbox Rant, again) Reproduction Parts, what are your thoughts?
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:25PM

Could you imagine wanting or needing a part for your vehicle only to discover that your only options are to find a good used piece or to try to find a New Old Stock part because no reproduction parts are available at any price?

Many many years ago before the days when reproduced parts were widely available and the internet had not yet been utilized to assist us with locating desperately needed part, we often had no choice but to do without or fabricate to the best of our ability the pieces we needed.

Many of the NOS parts that may now seem plentiful, were extremely difficult to find, and those seeking them were willing to pay a premium price to get what the were in need of.

Sources like E-Bay had not yet been available and the best source was a local Flea Market, Regional swap meets like Hershey which only occurred once a year (Carlisle had not yet been organized) or publications such as Hemmings Motor News.

The lesson I learned back then was this. "If the part is available, it IS worth the price! If the part is NOT available, it IS worth more."

It is not my intention to single out any one individual, or to point any fingers in any specific direction but.....(I have said this before, and likely will again)

It has been my experience that a larger percentage of "Corvair" enthusiasts seem to be frugal to the point of being cheap, especially when compared to other make and model vehicles.

This unwillingness to spend what it takes to properly execute any given project or task as related to routine maintenance or restoration of our cars and trucks may in the long run hurt the Corvair in ways we might only imagine.

Yes I understand that each of us is unique when it comes to vision, ability, budget, and execution of our projects.

All I am trying to say is we need to do what we can to support the vendors that support us.

The vendors that make reproduction Corvair parts often take a leap of faith when making the decision to move forward and make these items, that there will be a market for them and enough sales to justify the research, development, production, warehousing, and distribution costs.

I would imagine that in some instances, breaking even would be acceptable as some folks produce a part because they are true enthusiasts and have a desire to simply fill a need for a particular part.

I really hate to say this but.....You should be THANKFUL that these parts are available at ANY price.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: (Soapbox Rant, again) Reproduction Parts, what are your thoughts?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:50PM

All I am trying to say is we need to do what we can to support the vendors that support us.

I second that. I was in need of some sheetmetal recently, as was saddened to discover lots of the reproduced sheetmetal Clarks had listed was now NLA due to low sales. Now I understand why you west coast people didn't order anygrinning smiley but to see it go discontinued is disconcerting.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 16, 2017 03:55PM

Frank you hit it on the head...and why no west coast Vendors offer 1/3 the parts Clark's does... They are mainly into "service parts", and in the case of Calif. Corvairs.... SERVICE

Different markets...but all facing the same economic pressures....and client base.

I don't think there's anyone out here that doesn't want to support the vendors!

The great thing about the CCF.... since 2005 we've had over 120,000 registered members..... so we get to see all types of owners..

And as a side thought;

Should we chastise "J3M" for promoting Tedd Brown's EFI / EDIS system when our largest vendor sells them????

Think of all the carburetor / distributor rebuilders [ VENDORS ] who will go out of business if everyone were to buy it!

Same with Generators!! When everyone promotes the Alternator!!!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: March 16, 2017 04:19PM

I agree whole heartedly with all that has been said so far, but if I pay for a repop, I should be able to expect outstanding quality for my money.

Just my .02.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting close.

Posted by: vwbusman66 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 05:02PM

Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree whole heartedly with all that has been
> said so far, but if I pay for a repop, I should be
> able to expect outstanding quality for my money.
>
> Just my .02.
I agree with this.
I have no issue buying vendor parts- my local stores carry nothing for these cars.
If I am paying a premium for a part that a vendor sells, I expect it to be worthy of the cash I am shelling out for it.
James

-------------
James Keller
Kingsville, MD (21087)
Currently Corvair-less but on the hunt

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 05:29PM

I have and will continue to buy from the vendors but I am just not in the same league as some of you. My cars are both pretty good, don't really have any aspirations of getting another or getting rid of these, drive them for pleasure and store them inside. The 66 could have better paint but it looks too good to do anything, will probably get a back bumper for the 64 eventually, mostly buy a few repair parts is all.
There are a lot of small time vendors who sell through this site and at the shows and conventions, I have bought from these too, most recently bought parts to convert 66 to discs on the front from one of our SC guys.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: March 16, 2017 05:52PM

It is worth noting that the pressures on the manufacturer of the reproduced part extend beyond the small quantities. Often in smaller unit production, different production techniques must be used. That can affect quality. It certainly affects price.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: March 16, 2017 06:05PM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
> It is worth noting that the pressures on the
> manufacturer of the reproduced part extend beyond
> the small quantities. Often in smaller unit
> production, different production techniques must
> be used. That can affect quality. It certainly
> affects price.

I get what you're saying, I just don't like "Almost fit" parts. I'd pay for the next level.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting close.

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: March 16, 2017 06:23PM

♡ Clarks

♡ California Corvairs

smileys with beer

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: March 16, 2017 07:51PM

MattNall Wrote:

> Should we chastise "J3M" for promoting Tedd
> Brown's EFI / EDIS system when our largest
> vendor sells them????

theres a big diff between someone promoting something that they have/use/know about & someone thats always promoting a part that they dont have/use/installed or know about.

better yet when the person that doesnt have/use/know about the part tells everyone that if they dont have the part their cars are junk.

-Scott V.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 16, 2017 08:55PM

So true!! ggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: March 17, 2017 04:47AM

All I know is I'm running out of Corvair parts to crush sad smileysad smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: March 17, 2017 07:25AM

It does get a little frustrating when a lot of things you buy are close, but need to be tweaked (lower W/S panels) or fail quickly (outside rear view mirrors, thermostats). One Saturday morning I had 3 repro oil filters swell and pop... that was a fun mess. The girl at Advance felt so sorry for me she gave me a 50% discount on the VR-1 race oil that I had cleaned up (and I was wearing) several times....The WIX brand through NAPA have been fine since.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 17, 2017 08:24AM

I feel the big problem is that parts reproduction and the prices it takes to support that activity surpass the value of the finished car. I'm putting together a pavement-up restoration that in the end will cost twice as much as the car is worth in reproduced parts and all the other things I put into it. The value of Corvairs simply is too low to justify the cost of a lot of parts that need, are, or should be reproduced. If our cars were valued in the range of the typical pony car, you'd see a lot more and better repop parts.

The bottom lines (no pun intended) on repop parts is 1)how much is the market volume vs. the cost of remaking it. 2)Anything that was made in the past can be remade in the future, but at what cost? And 3)how accurate a reproduction is the repop?

Being a supplier of some repop parts, I will say that some things get repopped just for the love of it. And I have done so, losing my shirt in the process, But I want an exact part, not a "make do" or "kinda close" part. And it better work just like the original, too. What I find most annoying is when the vendor says "exact" and it isn't.

Just my 2 cents worth...

-Mark

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: March 18, 2017 10:13AM

Most of what I have is NOS. As for reproduction stuff, most, if not all, is older name brand items (i.e., US made). No reboxed, no name crap from who knows where.

Chet in Ramona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.