home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Belt line chrome trim, where can I get some?
Posted by: Maaak ()
Date: March 16, 2017 12:37PM

If this isn't something somebody sells, what other way have you done this? If you have a picture, post! Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Belt line chrome trim, where can I get some?
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 04:44PM

Clarks used to have it, not sure if they still do. I got some from Corvair ranch and restored it. (check link in signature)

(BTW: it is stainless, not chrome)

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: March 16, 2017 04:55PM

I sent you a PM as I have the trunk lid and the right and left front fender trim in stock right now. They are used but in good condition. They are stainless steel and can be polished easily. $50 for the 3 pieces plus shipping.
John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: March 16, 2017 05:35PM

Maaak, did your Corvair have the trim before and has the holes in the body to attach it? If so you'll need mounting clips too, unless you glue it on with some type of adhesive.

Wade

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 16, 2017 07:33PM

Have looked in our STICKY For Sale search?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 17, 2017 04:24AM

Date: March 17, 2017 04:49AM

Thank you Richard. I was hoping someone might be selling new ones. I don't know if I have the patients to take old ones and bring them back! Your car is looking amazing though. Is it a '60-'61?

Date: March 17, 2017 04:55AM

Thank you, Matt. I just did. If your car hasn't had this chrome before, it looks like a headache!

Maybe just taping the car off and painting some silver would work...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 04:57AM by Maaak.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 05:51AM

Maybe pin striping.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 17, 2017 06:08AM

Correction here. The beltline of a car is at the bottom of the glass (greenhouse). From the discussion, it appears that you're referring to the character line molding on some early models, correct?

The late model has a beltline molding around the "C" pillar, but only on 4 doors that were ordered with the two tone paint from the factory.

-Mark

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 07:02AM

I have a large selection of correct original 1960-61 belt line trim. Some is used but most is new old stock. The real problem in putting on this trim will be the clips that hold it to the car. I have not found a source for replacements. Perhaps Jeff at the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg could supply some used ones off dead cars in his inventory.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 17, 2017 07:20AM

Of course you are correct, Mark.

But like turkey roasters, Coravir people use the belt molding term for these parts. It is only a few inches away in vertical distance!grinning smiley

If we used "character line trim", no one would understand what was being asked, except car designers and blue print readers...

So, Chet, what did GM call these moldings in the parts book?

And I shall add, the continuous trim around the car looks like a belt. Certainly not suspenders. That would be the Monza trim around the windows.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: March 17, 2017 07:48AM

Frank, I have plenty of GM parts books. In there, they are called a "side peak molding" or simply a "side molding". In designer terms, such a peak is called a character line.

And as to suspenders, you mean the rest of the car is suspended by the roof? LOL

-Mark

Date: March 17, 2017 07:50AM

Oh, and BTW, I'm used to LM's where the beltline molding IS the molding around the "C" pillar on the 4 door. No other moldings anywhere near.

-Mark

Date: March 17, 2017 08:38AM

I really like what the molding does to accentuate the cool lines of the early Corvair (it's one of the reasons the BMW 2002 holds special appeal for me.

But drilling holes in my car sounds like a bad idea. Maybe having someone paint a silver belt line is the answer.

Has anyone done this?

Date: March 17, 2017 10:25AM

Try some tape. Available in different widths and colors as well as Mylar that closely resembles chrome.

Dan Davis - Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 10:59AM

[m.ebay.com]

You can buy this kind of plastic chrome by the foot and sticks on with tape. Pretty much what's on new cars.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: March 17, 2017 12:12PM

Thank you Richard. I was hoping someone might be selling new ones. I don't know if I have the patients to take old ones and bring them back! Your car is looking amazing though. Is it a '60-'61?

Mine is a 60. I don't know if it is patience or a way of getting away from the grind a accomplishing something.

I had never heard any term other than the belt line trim, but to each his own. sort of like the belt going around the widest part of your body.

This is how I had to get the bondo out of what I bought.

As for fasteners, you might be able to get away with a good thin two sided tape, but since they are hollow, that would mean little strips, but making sure the bottom can let out any water that gets in. My body guy made my clips. This is where patience comes in.

Hammering a curve and little bolts into a piece of steel

Brazing bolts onto clips

Some painted, some in process:

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: March 17, 2017 01:23PM

FYI: Dorman sells a clip, #45450, that works quite well, but comes with no attaching nut.confused smiley

Date: March 17, 2017 01:30PM

Richard, your car is amazing! Are you in Bolivia? Are there many Corvairs your way? I'm thinking not, which makes your car all the better!

Thank you for these details. I may well get some chrome and do this. It's really makes the cars design look sharper!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.