home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
really good 4 wheel alignment ** awsome**
Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: March 16, 2017 12:02PM

good afternoon all
changed out motor and trans mounts and really knocked the rear out of wack.
had to change front strut rod bushings, i think that's what there called, knocked the front all out of wack.

anyway I went to a shop that I had not used to date but a friend did and said he has a good experience so I gave them a try.
they were more expensive then the person that had done it in the past .

I must say that they killed it, knocked out of the park etc.
this has turned out to be on the short list of the best things I've done to Christine since I've owned her.

Matt was the mech/tech that did the work, using his $ 100,000.00 hunter rack.
he actually knew what he was doing.He spent probably 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs tweaking and setting everything multiple times to make sure it was right.

I have put a couple hundred miles on her since and am still impressed how well she actually drives. in parking lots she has to 50% easier to maneuver. aroud town excellent and on the freeway most spectacular (LOL).
I have driven her for almost 4 yrs and 15 thousnad mailes and just got used to a 45 yr old cars steering.

now that I got the short story long.

i was very cool to meet a younger mechanic that knows what he is doing ( around 34 yrs old).

anyway a little plug for them if your around West Palm Beach fla, they would be worth checking out

Mike Roy Automotive
4476 Park Ln
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
561-439-0635
ask for Steve I believe

have a great day

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: really good 4 wheel alignment ** awsome**
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 16, 2017 12:13PM

Two Key things here....

An alignment rack...so he could get the car body "square" on his machine

And the knowledge on how to use it...

Your description of "He spent probably 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs tweaking and setting everything multiple times to make sure it was right"

Shows that he knows that every change to one corner of the car, CAN affect other things..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: March 16, 2017 12:53PM

I put my vair on a nice alignment rack that I had access to some year ago and learned that the nicest rack doesn't mean squat if the guy turning wrenches isn't of the same quality.

Sounds like you found a winner shop. That's awesome to hear.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Currently driving a bicycle

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:47PM

When I had my 63 aligned I was lucky,Delta Tire had a brand new machine and the factory rep was there and mine was the first car to be aligned on it,They did an awesome job and it handled like a new car.

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi
63 vert

Posted by: phill66 ()
Date: March 17, 2017 07:12PM

I grew tired of paying good money for bogus alignments by ASE certified technicians
with state of the art $$ equipment.

For not much more than the cost of three "professional" alignments, I purchased my
own alignment equipment and perform the task myself. May not be accurate to the
fifth decimal place, but I can do better than front left camber 1.3 deg+; front right
camber 0.5 deg+; front left caster 2.3 deg+; front right caster 3 deg+; that I
found after my last pro alignment.

I use custom specifications that differ somewhat from OEM and are based on numbers
provided by some of the acknowledged Corvair experts that have published work. The
professionals insist on using set OEM specs programmed in their equipment. They say
they can't guarantee the work if they don't go by factory specs. One shop manager
told me they didn't have the necessary shims. I said "that's ok, don't need any,
front and rear camber is set by eccentric cam bolts, not shims."

I believe the shop manual specs were established for the original bias ply tires of the day,
not the radials I'm running with. For example, less friction with radials, less toe in.
Also prefer a touch of negative camber at the rear instead of OEM positive.

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: March 17, 2017 08:53PM

I am with Phil. For the price of a few "alignments" I bought my own machine and can tweak until my heart is desired. I opted to find one without computers to make it simple for older cars.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.